Author Topic: S/O damaged laptop: The nanny and the damaged ipad  (Read 16582 times)

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
Re: S/O damaged laptop: The nanny and the damaged ipad
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 03:31:54 PM »
If this wasn't a nanny who was well acquainted with the child, I would say the parents should most definately pay. But this nanny was being paid to care fro the child,  knew the habits of the child and chose to leave an expensive items easily accesible to him.

As the parent, I would pay if asked. But I'd feel the nanny was very careless in leaving the item out and was maybe not watching the child as closely as needed.

It's sort of like I agree to dog sit in my home. I am aware the dog chews on shoes and know to put shoes away but lI eave a pair out accessible to the dog. I wouldn't ask my friend to pay for the shoes because it was my mistake.

I disagree only because it was an intentional act of destruction. Dogs and cats aren’t kids and aren't really as accountable. This was no accident, it was deliberate. For the parents to react in a “Well, you know how he is…” kind of way would make me so angry I doubt I’d be their nanny much longer if I were she.

If an older child, yes, I'd agree. But to me a 4 yr old with diagnozed ADHD prone to outbursts aren't on the same accountability level as other children.

And she did "Know how he is" and was the one responsibile for leaving it accessible to him and was being PAID to monitor him.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 04:59:39 PM »
There's also this: The nanny is acting as an agent of the parents.
The roommate is not.

When someone is acting as my agent, I'm responsible, to some degree, for what they do.

sweetonsno

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
Because this was a deliberate act of destruction on the part of the child, I think the parents should be paying for it. That the nanny knows that the child behaves badly does not mean that she is to blame for his bad behavior. If she'd given him the iPad to try and calm him down during a tantrum, I might feel differently.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
If there was any reason for the iPad to be out ( the kid uses it while visiting ) and the parents are OK with the kid using electronics ( I am not trying to start a judgement on that. I know fabulous parents who use lots of electronics but this is a personal parenting decision.) Then I think the parents should pay because they have approved the use of the iPad with the kids.

But if there was no reason to have the iPad out, it's on the nanny. A four year old with known destructive tendencies should not be best expensive electronics  my four year old is careful and calm, but she is still four and I keep my tablet out of reach.

However, if I were the parent and she was a great nanny I would pay because I could likely afford it more.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »
I must say that if this was my child and my employee, I would be so mortified that I seriously doubt I would be worried about who should really be paying for the iPad. I would be forking over the money with her next paycheck.

This. It doesn't matter whose fault it is, the child is the responsibility of the parents and the parents should pay.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 07:01:12 PM »
I must say that if this was my child and my employee, I would be so mortified that I seriously doubt I would be worried about who should really be paying for the iPad. I would be forking over the money with her next paycheck.

This. It doesn't matter whose fault it is, the child is the responsibility of the parents and the parents should pay.

Even though I posted above that I (as a parent) would likely pay, I disagree. When the nanny is looking after the child, the child is the the responsibility of the nanny, not the parents. The kid wasn't there for a social visit (if so then it's almost certainly the parents responsibility even if they are not present)

The nanny's job is to look after the child. Part of that job is to keep the child from damaging objects. She is being paidto have rresponsibility for the child.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »
The nanny's job is to look after the child. Part of that job is to keep the child from damaging objects. She is being paidto have rresponsibility for the child.

I completely agree with the above.

The nanny knew the child had a history of somewhat destructive behavior. It's not the first time nanny watched the child. Perhaps the first time in nanny's home, but nanny should know the history by now and be prepared for the child's possible actions even in her own home.

My question to nanny would be "Where were you when he grabbed your ipad?" Even if the answer was "I just turned my back for a minute" I still think the nanny was negligent by leaving the ipad within easy access.

If nanny answered "He grabbed it out of my hand, ran to the stairs and just threw it" Eh. I still might answer "What were you doing on the ipad when you should have been paying attention to my child?"

I think the onus is on nanny . . . for not being diligent.

However, my answer will probably change if this was only a first/second even (possibly?) third time of the nanny watching the child where she really didn't know the child at all. But it doesn't sound like this is the case.

mich3554

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 08:06:20 PM »
It sounded like the child's visit to the nanny's home was not planned, but as a solution to a problem.  Did she know she was going to be bringing the child home with her in order to keep him away from construction?

IMO, if she knew in advance, she could have made preparations for this.  However, if the nanny showed up one morning along with the building contractors and she and the parents realized that this was not going to be a smart thing for the child to be there with the contractors, so they decided that the nanny should take the child to her home,then the parents should pay for the destroyed iPad.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »
Parents should pay 100% and they need to get help for that child. Now!
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

perpetua

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 08:32:10 PM »
When the nanny is looking after the child, the child is the the responsibility of the nanny, not the parents. The kid wasn't there for a social visit (if so then it's almost certainly the parents responsibility even if they are not present)

But overall, the child's *behaviour*, as an entity in and of itself, is the responsibility of the parents. The ipad was broken as a direct result of that child's behaviour. Therefore, they should be responsible for paying for it.

bonyk

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
I go back and forth on this one.  The tipping point for me is that kid threw the iPad: didn't drop it, didn't spill something on it, he threw it.  Yes, he has ADHD, and can go from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye, but that doesn't absolve his guilt.  His parents need to pay up.

katycoo

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »
My response is the same as in the other thread - they should go halvsies.

The parents are responsible for damage caused by the child but the nanny was contributorily negligent by leaving a valuable item within the child's reach.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
Yes. A whole lot of suppositions are being made here because we don't know the honest-to-goodness hard facts.

mich3554 -- You're completely right and I would agree with you if it was an all-of-a-sudden solution, but I didn't read the OP that way. I read it as pre-planned.

Millionaire Maria -- From a nanny's point of view, I understand your response. From a parent's side of view? (absolutely no snark intended here) I fired a nanny because, after she reported an incident and I asked her "Where were you when this happened?" she replied "I was studying." . . . I am not sorry, and no notice was given to the nanny. Nanny was being paid handsomely to watch my child. Incidence should not have happened.

Yes, in the child-care business accidents happen. I guess, in the long run, it's up to the parents to decide whether it was negligence on the nanny's part or to pay for the damage just because that's the way their child is.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 08:55:10 PM »
Even somebody paid to watch a child.is going to havr to go to the bathroom or otherwise look away.at some point. And a nanny is going to have little to no say as to.how theADHD is treated, how bad behavior is disciplined, etc. Since the final authority falls back on the parents do does the final responsibility.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 09:09:09 PM »
Even somebody paid to watch a child.is going to havr to go to the bathroom or otherwise look away.at some point. And a nanny is going to have little to no say as to.how theADHD is treated, how bad behavior is disciplined, etc. Since the final authority falls back on the parents do does the final responsibility.
But the responsibility of putting away expensive items out of the reach of any child is the responsibility of the guardian of the moment which was the nanny,
What would you think if instead the 4 yr old got ahold of a knife that had been left on the coffe table and cut themselves. Would you still not hold the nanny accountable for not putting inappropriate things out of the way?