Author Topic: Interview Help  (Read 922 times)

BeautifulDisaster

Interview Help
« on: October 07, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »
I was fired from a job I held for nearly 4 years last week. I have an interview for a new position with a different company tomorrow.

If/when I am asked why my employment ended at former company, what should I say?

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: Interview Help
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:30:28 PM »
Tell them that after four years, it was time for a change. And that while it's risky to look for work when you don't have a job, you also found it impossible to do so while you were still working, so you took a chance.

If you were fired for cause (falsifying expense report; sassing off to the boss), I'm not sure how you'd say the above in a way that keeps them from calling to find out. You might want to ask someone to call and see what they say when someone calls for a reference. (Not that this will help in the case of "looking for work in the same industry"--I can always find someone to tell me the actual truth; I *never* call HR to ask for references, I try to find a personal connection)

If you were laid off--reorganized the staff, cut headcount, etc.--just say that. It happens to us all.

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 08:42:05 PM »
I was fired for failing to meet performance standards. There's a long back story to this I don't want to post at the moment, but I feel like I was set up for failure by a management team that was negligent at best and engaged in high school type bullying at worst. Multiple people that are close to the situation agree with me.

Of the references I have from that company, only one was in a management position and he left over a year ago. The rest were all the team that I supported in my position (one left a little over a year ago and one was fired a week after I was).

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 08:48:23 PM »
That's easier. (Stinks, btw--my sympathies)

So you left because after 4 years, you wanted a change.

Then move quickly to what you DO want. Don't let them get you sucked into a big discussion of it.

You want a job with a more collaborative approach, where you can capitalize on your ability to build a deep knowledge of the company rapidly.

Kaypeep

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:49:15 PM »
You can be semi-honest.
Perhaps go with "Well, there were some changes in senior management above, and as a result myself and some others in our team were let go.  But I'm still on very good terms with my former manager, and he/she has insisted on being a reference for me because while I was there for X years, i consistently reached my goals and (other achievements.)  I will miss working there because over the years I learned so much and worked with great people, but right now what I really want to do is _______ here at Acme,  and I think I'd be a perfect fit for this position because _______.  "

A career coach recently advised me to always turn your answer around and put the focus where you want to be.

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 09:01:46 PM »
I think I might say "It was time for a change" and then go straight into what I'm looking for. Because I do know exactly what I'm looking for.

Kaypeep - I wish I would say I was still on good terms with my former manager, but unfortunately I'm not on good terms with any of the managers (except for the one that left a little over a year ago, and he was never my manager). I had built solid relationships of both a professional and personal nature with two of them that turned out to be completely and utterly bogus and fake on their part. There's a lot of anger and hurt there that I'm still working through because friendships weren't just destroyed, they were obliterated into the land of "they never existed".

For the most part I've managed to stay very upbeat and happy about the silver lining of all of this, but there's moments when I get so very angry at the way I and my coworker who was also fired were treated.

z_squared82

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 09:14:34 AM »
I was fired for failing to meet performance standards. There's a long back story to this I don't want to post at the moment, but I feel like I was set up for failure by a management team that was negligent at best and engaged in high school type bullying at worst. Multiple people that are close to the situation agree with me.

Ditto. Luckily, I was in an industry that was hemorrhaging jobs, so when I said, "My position was eliminated," no one disbelieved me. (And I really do believe they changed the job title to pay the next person less.)

Could you go with something like that?