Author Topic: Lemon Lime Meringue Pie Substitutes  (Read 1417 times)

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
Lemon Lime Meringue Pie Substitutes
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:43:15 PM »
I just found this recipe to make Lemon Lime Meringue Pie.  I am a) learning how to bake and b) trying to do everything I bake as healthy as possible considering.  I'm also in the process of learning how to substitute what for what.  Does anyone have suggestions, please, on what to substitute in this recipe to make it a little bit healthier (this includes vegan friendly suggestions, gluten free suggestions, et cetera).  For example, can I substitute brown sugar for granulated sugar and at what ratio?  I prefer to do things from scratch and with all natural ingredients if I can.  I just don't know what to substitute for what.  Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Crust
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cold margarine or 1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons low-fat yogurt
1 -2 tablespoon cold water (15 or 25 mL)

Filling
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
0.25 (50 ml) fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime zest (about 2 limes)
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
1 egg
1 egg white
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons margarine or 2 teaspoons butter

Topping
4 egg whites
3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/lemon-and-lime-meringue-pie-178859?oc=linkback
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
Re: Lemon Lime Meringue Pie Substitutes
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 10:25:35 PM »
Brown sugar is really no better than white, granulated sugar.  It is still highly processed.  Unless you are going to use raw sugar.  And I can't help you with that at all as far as ratios and stuff go.

You can probably skip the sugar in the crust; my recipe doesn't use it.  But then, my recipe uses lard.  Which is actually better than shortening, believe it or not.  Shortening has trans fats in it that can be worse than the animal fat in the lard.

You can reduce the sugar in the filling by at least 1/3 of a cup.  And probably go down to 1/3 of a cup in the meringue.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 10:32:58 PM »
Thank you!  That is all actually extremely helpful.  How much lard do you use?  It's not something I've ever cooked with so I don't know how to expect it to behave.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

katycoo

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 11:45:52 PM »
Don't sub the sugar in the filling or the topping.  Reducing the amount might be ok, but brown sugar or raw sugar wouldn't work in place of white sugar.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 11:55:17 PM »
Don't sub the sugar in the filling or the topping.  Reducing the amount might be ok, but brown sugar or raw sugar wouldn't work in place of white sugar.

Why? Just curious for future recipes...I want to learn as much as possible.

I've baked more in the last month than I have in te last 6-7 years.

katycoo

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 01:04:44 AM »
Well, brown sugar has a completely different taste and texture so I'll just deal with raw sugar: It's heavier and denser making it less likely to dissolve (unless you have the capacity to fine-mill it yourself).  This could make your filling grainy and unpleasant to eat. 
With your topping I highly doubt it would incorporate properly into the egg white and will affect the texture, gloss and colour.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 10:22:54 AM »
Thank you!  That is all actually extremely helpful.  How much lard do you use?  It's not something I've ever cooked with so I don't know how to expect it to behave.

My recipe is:

2 cups flour
1 cup lard
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
up to 1/2 cup cold water.

Mix the dry ingredients together then cut in the lard, using a pastry cutter or two knives.  I do this in the bowl of my kitchenaid.  Then I put the bowl on and start the paddle.  I slowly pour the cold water in until the pastry gloms onto the paddle.  Then I freeze the dough.  It rolls better after freezing.  Take it out, let it thaw, roll your shells while still cold.

I usually make up the whole pound of lard at a time, add 4.5 cups flour and 2 tsp BP and salt.  5 of these double recipes made 19 9" shells, two 8" double crust pies, two 9" double crust pies and one 6" double crust pie on Sunday.  (Yes, I went a little overboard...)

The secret is to not over work it.  Don't use too much water.  Wet pastry is 'tough' so adding the water slowly is crucial.

The advantage of reducing the sugar in the filling is that the pie will be more tart - which is my preference.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

mandycorn

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 01:59:57 PM »
As another sugar-less pie crust option, I always use the Pate Brisee recipe from Martha Stewart. I've never had it fail me, unlike my great grandmother's recipe (sorry, Granny, I'm just bad at that one!) and it can work for sweet or savory pies.

http://www.marthastewart.com/948287/pate-brisee

Also, if you're looking to get some good general knowledge, the Martha Bakes tv series is really good and a lot of episodes are available online. She picks a topic, like biscuit dough or frosting, and then does four or five variations on that theme, teaching techniques and basic recipes along the way. Unlike some of her other recipes, they tend to be pretty straightforward and easy to follow.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine" - Abraham Lincoln 

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 02:14:31 PM »
The filling relies on the sugar to help solidify the protein and stabilize the acid.  Brown sugar has molasses in it, which is a source of additional water.

The meringue also needs sugar to help stiffen the whites.  Make sure there is NO hint of any fat in the bowl before whipping your whites. Also, warm up your whites before whipping so they'll whip a bit higher.

However, looking at the filling, it's actually pretty healthy.  My curd recipe uses egg yolks along with whole eggs, so you're actually pretty good.

You could find a gluten free or less sweet crust.  However, you should know that the sweetness is there to counter the acidity.

Does this make 1 pie?  I'm going to plug it into some software to see what the nutritional value is.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 02:17:16 PM »
By the quantities listed, it looks like one pie's worth to me.
Ontario

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 05:37:50 PM »
The filling relies on the sugar to help solidify the protein and stabilize the acid.  Brown sugar has molasses in it, which is a source of additional water.

The meringue also needs sugar to help stiffen the whites.  Make sure there is NO hint of any fat in the bowl before whipping your whites. Also, warm up your whites before whipping so they'll whip a bit higher.

However, looking at the filling, it's actually pretty healthy.  My curd recipe uses egg yolks along with whole eggs, so you're actually pretty good.

You could find a gluten free or less sweet crust.  However, you should know that the sweetness is there to counter the acidity.

Does this make 1 pie?  I'm going to plug it into some software to see what the nutritional value is.

Warm them up how?  As in let them sit at room temperature or put them in the microwave?

As far as no fat in the bowl...I don't have a dishwasher, so will a really hot soak do?

I think it's just one pie.

Thanks, mandycorn, I'll have to take a look!

NyaChan

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 05:43:27 PM »
Room temperature will whip better, microwave will cook those suckers

Rohanna

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 06:29:04 PM »
FYI eating gluten free isn't necessarily a ticket to "healthier" unless you have a diagnosed gluten intolerance. It can make you feel better if you  substitute heavy processed starches for fresh fruits and vegetables, but unless you are very careful you can end up eating more sugars and missing vitamins and fiber.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/truth-about-gluten?page=1

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=most-people-shouldnt-eat-gluten-free

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. ~ Jack Layton.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 07:49:49 PM »
FYI eating gluten free isn't necessarily a ticket to "healthier" unless you have a diagnosed gluten intolerance. It can make you feel better if you  substitute heavy processed starches for fresh fruits and vegetables, but unless you are very careful you can end up eating more sugars and missing vitamins and fiber.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/truth-about-gluten?page=1

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=most-people-shouldnt-eat-gluten-free

Thank you for the information.  I didn't know any of this and that's very interesting.

However, one friend has sworn off grains of any kind due to extensive research his sister has done.  I'm trying to find things I can substitute in those instances, if I can, so he can enjoy my food, too.  I also have a friend at work who is gluten intolerant, so I want to be able to make foods for her, too.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 08:43:47 PM »
put the eggs in a bowl and fill with very hot water from the tap.  Let sit for about 5 min or until the water has cooled down. 

That's definitely a secret from a pastry chef.  It's not safe to let eggs sit out for a long time, so we only warm up eggs as we need them.