Author Topic: Father posting wedding registry information on facebook  (Read 4247 times)

CrazyDaffodilLady

Re: Father posting wedding registry information on facebook
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 02:27:47 PM »
Speaking as the daughter of a minister, I think it was hugely inappropriate to post the registry information on the church's website.  I doubt that members of the congregation get to post their registry information there, so he's taking advantage of his position.  And I don't buy the time-saving excuse.  It is not an inconvenience to respond personally to every single person who asks about the registry.  It certainly takes less time to tell each person than it will take for that person to buy a gift.   
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

katycoo

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 08:58:06 PM »
Its not the church website, its the church FB page so argueably anymember can post a link to a registry page there.  I do think that's an important distinction.

jmarvellous

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 09:10:33 PM »
Nobody should be posting their or their family member's registry on any page where someone who might not be invited to the wedding is likely to read it.

If I were hosting a shower for someone, say, I would not be justified in putting their registry on my page any more than they would.

"It's too time consuming" is not an excuse.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 09:23:28 PM »
I think its important to note the guy did not post a direct link to the daughter's registry anywhere. He posted a link to her wedding website, which had links on it to the registry. It also presumably had lots of other wedding info, probably more prominent then the registry links, like photos, info on the couple, info on the wedding, the wedding party the families, maybe the honeymoon, etc.

jmarvellous

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 09:26:09 PM »
Don't know how I missed that, but that makes it even WORSE to me. If these people aren't invited, they now have a direct link to all the wedding details, assuming they have a wedding website anything like any of the ones I've seen.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 09:26:34 PM »
I think its important to note the guy did not post a direct link to the daughter's registry anywhere. He posted a link to her wedding website, which had links on it to the registry. It also presumably had lots of other wedding info, probably more prominent then the registry links, like photos, info on the couple, info on the wedding, the wedding party the families, maybe the honeymoon, etc.

That's a really good point, WillyNilly and I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I missed that.  I was thinking he had posted the actual registry information on the church's website. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 09:38:25 PM »
I would agree with this if he hadn't stated "people have asked about the registry so here's a link to the website". Any reference to the registry was in poor taste.

Zizi-K

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 10:23:11 PM »
I haven't read through the whole thread, but if you're bothered that the pastor posted on the church's FB page, you might say something like, "Pastor Bill, naturally I've heard that your daughter is going to be married, congrats on that! I'm slightly concerned about your posting the registry info on the church's FB page. I don't know how that looks to prospective members who might be looking to join our congregation. Perhaps that kind of thing is best kept to your personal FB page?"

I'm Jewish, not Christian, but in my experience the rabbi is hired by the congregation, so it's not like they have all-consuming power. And since yours is such a small congregation (as mine is), that financial relationship is even more personal.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 12:53:41 PM »
  Father posting instead of the mother fine.   I think posting "for those who asked about the registry here's the link to the website " on his FB is ok too.  I'm going to make a leap here and assume it will be a church wedding and the congregation will be welcome if not specifically invited individually by name to the mass portion at least and possible cookies and punch after. So I would not take issue with "For those who asked about the wedding " on the church's FB

The only part I''m a little bothered by is posting mentioning the registry on the church's FB how bothered would depend on what is normally posted there.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 08:15:56 AM »
I think any mention of his DD's registry/wedding website on the church FB page is wrong.  He can post whatever he wants on his own page, but putting it out there on the church page is like a boss sending his workers a memo to tell them and it makes people uncomfortable and feeling as if they must buy a gift.  As for a dad posting it..no problem what so ever with that.  I was raised by my father, but had a step mom after I was 12 but my dad answered any and all questions about both my sister and I's weddings if asked. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 01:43:21 PM »
I think any mention of his DD's registry/wedding website on the church FB page is wrong.  He can post whatever he wants on his own page, but putting it out there on the church page is like a boss sending his workers a memo to tell them and it makes people uncomfortable and feeling as if they must buy a gift.  As for a dad posting it..no problem what so ever with that.  I was raised by my father, but had a step mom after I was 12 but my dad answered any and all questions about both my sister and I's weddings if asked.

There is one thing that would make it less bothersome , if several/many members of the congregation posted links to their children's wedding ect websites,especially if she(the daughter) is also a member of the congregation. 

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 02:32:53 PM »
It was extremely unprofessional to post it to the church's FB.

Agreed. Posting it on his own page- well, that's what it's there for. To the church page- no.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

peaches

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2013, 03:14:07 PM »

I think you're splitting hairs. The whole purpose of his posting was to give people access to the registry. He said so.

Very inappropriate, and unprofessional IMO.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2013, 06:17:02 PM »
I'm wondering if he meant to post on his own FB and accidentally posted on the church's? It happens. I have two business FB pages and thought I had logged into my personal one and posted up a picture of my dogs and my friend's dog and tagged her in the post. Thankfully since I tagged her she sent me a message and said "Glitter, your clients don't care about our cute dogs, move it to your personal page"...whoops. I fixed it. Because yes, my clients don't care. So I'm wondering if he just wasn't paying attention. And since no one has anything...doesn't think it's a big deal?

I am lost on why it matters if it's dad or mom or little sis. Wish the OP would come back and answer that query.