Author Topic: [Update] Halloween Neighbor "Candy Pass" [update post 92]  (Read 13873 times)

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
[Update] Halloween Neighbor "Candy Pass" [update post 92]
« on: October 08, 2013, 03:11:27 AM »
I haven't been around for a while but this just cropped up in my neighborhood and thought - what better place to share!

My neighborhood is very popular with trick-or-treaters every Halloween.  I count them using an app on my phone and last year we reached almost 400 children - it was a gorgeous fall evening and we ended up closing up shop when we ran out of candy at 8:20 p.m.

A neighbor has posted fliers at the three neighborhood school bus stops offering "good" candy to trick-or-treaters who live in the neighborhood - all the kids have to do is stop by their house before Halloween with a parent to somehow get their name on a list, and then Halloween night they just get checked off the guest list, and they get premium candy, whereas all other takers get lesser offerings, presumably.

Honestly, it doesn't bother me that 90% of our trick-or-treaters are from outlying areas - the rural community isn't far from our place, where the kids don't have a safe or populated area to solicit treats, so I just resign myself to the fact that I am going to be treating mostly kids from outside the neighborhood.  If I didn't like Halloweening, I'd just shut off the lights as the vast majority of TorT'ers respect the porchlight status.

I personally think this one household/couple/family is causing more grief than needed - their home is  four doors down from ours so they're getting the same 350+ kids as us; on Halloween last year I ended up just parking on the porch rather than opening the door every 8.6 seconds and I didn't have time to vet every costumed kid that came a-knockin'.  To me it just seems to be more of a passive-aggressive statement against the packs of kids that get transported in than anything else.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 01:44:39 AM by SisJackson »

hannahmollysmom

Re: Halloween Neighbor "Candy Pass"
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 03:52:52 AM »
Wow! That is really out there!

Before my kids were of school age, we lived in not so nice of a neighborhood. We would take them to my friends nicer street, and we would go together. The kids had fun with their friends, and we felt safer.

Eventually, we were able to move to the same neighborhood. I did not discriminate with the kids that showed up. I know many traveled to our neighborhood. That is so rude and presumptuous of your neighbor.

Halloween is for kids. Let them enjoy it!

My kids are grown now, and I work 2nd shift. I had tried leaving a bowl a couple of years, but there are always those that take it all. I no longer participate. I do miss not seeing my granddaughter trick or treat, but that is life. 

Oh Joy

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:24:36 AM »
I see it as poor execution of a good intention.

We grew up in a similar neighborhood; most of the rural kids for many miles around were driven into town where there were several blocks of houses together.  BTW - there were no social distinctions...it was just geography.

Our doorbell hardly rang because the stream of ToTers was too steady for us to leave the door often.  We chose to buy inexpensive (but not yucky!) candy mixes because we went through so much.  But we had two other bowls out of sight: pennies for UNICEF (how old am I?) and mini chocolate bars for our neighborhood kids. 

Sometimes we missed giving the special candy to groups with we knew.  Either they were too disguised, or there were too many other kids in the surrounding herd.  But in the midst of - gladly - being used by families who couldn't reciprocate, it was meaningful to offer them what they would have gotten if we didn't live in a destination neighborhood.

So I give your neighbors a pass for what they're trying to do.  But their tactics unfortunately are more divisive and awkward.  I hope they find a better system next year.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 06:43:57 AM »
I feel for kids who live in neighborhoods where it is unsafe to walk on the street or go trick or treating, and I don't blame their parents for wanting to take them somewhere they can have a safe experience. In my book, if you wear a costume, you get candy. This includes teens who some might think are "too old" to be trick or treating, and adults. Costume = candy. I can't be bothered differentiating between kids who live on our street vs the next street over vs across town or even from a different town. (Last year my son trick or treated in my mom's neighborhood, four towns away, on Halloween night because our own trick or treating was postponed due to a bad storm that took out a lot of electricity. I didn't feel bad about it. My mom's been handing out candy for 25+ years since my brother and I moved out.) If a kid we love came to our door when no other kids were within hearing distance, I'd probably tell them to take an extra candy or two, but that's as far as I'd take the "good candy for our own kids" scenario.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 06:52:10 AM »
I'm honestly not bothered at all by people traveling to trick or treating.  There are kids I'm sure who come in from surrounding farms and I have no way of telling, what with masks and such, who's from our neighborhood and who isn't.   And sure there are kids who might try to double dip by going ToT in their neighborhood and then someone else's but really, how would you know if that Grim Reaper has already been ToT'ing across town?

Last year I had to go out and buy more candy so this year we'll probably end up buying some more off the bat but I just don't think this idea of the neighbors sounds very kind.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 08:14:57 AM »
The only candy distinguishing I do on Halloween is "the more I like your costume, the more candy you get." :)  I don't blame someone for wanting to give nicer candy to the kids they know, but they was a very ham-handed way of going about it. I'd be a bit creeped out as a parent putting my child on some neighbor's "registry"! If Neighbor doesn't know the kids in their own neighborhood well enough to recognize them and give out better candy, then what's the difference between them and some kids from outside the neighborhood?

auntmeegs

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 09:06:01 AM »
Oh for heavenís sake, give out candy or donít give out candy.  There is no need to complicate the whole thing by creating tiered levels of candy giving.  How ridiculous. 

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 09:09:11 AM »
Was wondering if there was going to be a thread on Halloween candy.  >:D

This one is interesting, I never heard of being on the "list" to get special candy!  That's kind of mind boggling too.  I live in a community where a lot of kids get "trucked" in to ToT.  I wish otherwise but I can't control the public so I just buy what I can and give out what I can and turn off my light.  I don't worry about it and I don't do elaborate schemes as your neighbor did to ensure only "local" kids get the good stuff.

lowspark

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 09:20:23 AM »
I wonder if they've done this before. It seems like it's going to be a logistical nightmare. With 350+ kids showing up, are they going to make these kids line up while they check the list for their name? And the kids are going to try to make the adult understand their name, while they are saying it from behind a mask, while several other fidgety kids are standing behind them talking loudly and getting more impatient?

As a parent, whether I live in the neighborhood or not, I'd make sure to skip that house. There's plenty of "good" candy to be had without jumping through hoops to get it. Not to mention the message it sends to these kids!

Oh for heaven’s sake, give out candy or don’t give out candy.  There is no need to complicate the whole thing by creating tiered levels of candy giving.  How ridiculous. 

Exactly.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 09:32:06 AM »
I think it's really weird. I can't figure out the logistics. I would never pre register my kids first of all.

But are they really going stand there with a clipboard asking every name?
If your a neighbor who doesn't know a about their plan how are you going to feel when your kids come home and tell you about the neighbors asking every kid their name?
What happens if Nancy's mom pre-registers but Timmy's doesn't and they go trick or treating together? Nancy gets the good stuff and Timmy gets the inferior offering?

I don't have a problem with the 100s of out of neighborhood kids who's parents drive them to our neighborhood. But I do give more candy to the kids I know.

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 09:39:33 AM »
Oh for heavenís sake, give out candy or donít give out candy.  There is no need to complicate the whole thing by creating tiered levels of candy giving.  How ridiculous.

Agreed. Especially if you're talking about hundreds of kids. That's going to get messy fast.
If wisdomís ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls

Kaypeep

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:44:48 AM »
I think the pre-registration idea is very odd, and will lead to more problems than it's worth.

However, I also grew up on a street that was very desirable and we got way more TOTers year after year and they were not from our neighborhood.  However, what stood out to me was the non-residents were more polite, actually said "Trick or Treat" and "thank you" whereas most neighborhood kids just stood their with their bag open, silently.   ::)

What bothered me even more were adults in costume demanding candy, either alone or carrying a baby in costume.  The baby was not going to eat that candy, and I resented giving it to an adult because it meant I'd run out and leave some kids empty handed later.

I live in an apartment building now, and just put a sign on the door that I don't have anything and I just skip Halloween now.  It's too much trouble to keep going back and forth to the door all night.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 09:56:26 AM »
One year one set of our grandkids stayed the weekend end with the other set and they went trick or treating together. The all live in the same type of neighborhood. How would the neighbors handle that?

The logistics of this are ridiculous. Hand out coupons if you are going to do it, but I still don't think it's right.

We used to live in a destination neighborhood and it didn't bother me to treat kids I didn't know. Heck, they are all kids just participating in a generations' old tradition in the US.

Deetee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 10:16:28 AM »

100% this.

The idea is logistically ridiculous. And one bit of better candy does not matter much in the whole Halloween candy haul.

As a parent, I would roll my eyes and just avoid the house entirely. The whole thing makes me uncomfortable.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »
Wow. That seems like a lot of extra work for everyone involved.

More work for the parents who have to cart their kids to that specific neighbor's house TWICE (once to "pre-register" and once to collect). More work for the kids who have to wait in line while their names are searched for and checked off from the list. More work for the homeowner who has to create and maintain this ridiculous list while trying to hand out candy to 350+ kids, as well as dealing with confusion and hurt feelings/anger from the kids/parents who didn't know to pre-register. Stupid.

ETA: So flyers are posted at bus stops. Not every kid rides the bus! Some kids are home schooled, or go to private schools (a lot of which don't run busses), or their parents drive them. How are those kids in the neighborhood supposed to know to "pre-register" for the good candy?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 10:49:47 AM by Spring Water on Sundays »