Author Topic: [Update] Halloween Neighbor "Candy Pass" [update post 92]  (Read 13283 times)

GlitterIsMyDrug

Re: Halloween Neighbor "Candy Pass"
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2013, 03:01:31 PM »
This actually reminded me of a kid who came by year before last, he was dressed in a little suit, hair slicked back, might've been 6 or 7. So we ask if he's a lawyer or a business man and he goes "Well...kind of...can you keep a secret?" so we nod and he motions us closer and whispers "I'm batman! Shh...secret" and then stands up straight and says "I'm Bruce Wayne, I run Wayne Industries". He got so much candy from us!

Where is the LOVE button?  So freaking cute!!

I am over the MOON about this one!

Right! I told Partner after they left "Ok, if we can get one like that, I'm in for the kid thing". Last year he was Clark Kent, same suit but with glasses, and he unbuttoned his shirt a little to show us the big S on it. I'm hoping for Tony Stark this year.

pinkflamingo

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2013, 03:08:30 PM »
This actually reminded me of a kid who came by year before last, he was dressed in a little suit, hair slicked back, might've been 6 or 7. So we ask if he's a lawyer or a business man and he goes "Well...kind of...can you keep a secret?" so we nod and he motions us closer and whispers "I'm batman! Shh...secret" and then stands up straight and says "I'm Bruce Wayne, I run Wayne Industries". He got so much candy from us!

Where is the LOVE button?  So freaking cute!!

I am over the MOON about this one!

Right! I told Partner after they left "Ok, if we can get one like that, I'm in for the kid thing". Last year he was Clark Kent, same suit but with glasses, and he unbuttoned his shirt a little to show us the big S on it. I'm hoping for Tony Stark this year.

I love this kid. He would definitely get extra candy from me!

Editeer

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »
I'm probably in the minority but we once lived in a neighborhood that was full of "trucked in" kids. While I would never do what the ops neighbor did, I did get very frustrated. The first year we had three-four hundred ToTer's and we ran out of candy. We turned out our porch light, kids still banged on our door. We turned out the inside lights and we had people (kids and adults) banging on our door and screaming at us. It was very scary for our kids who were little at the time. The next few years we lived there, we had to send our kids away and my husband stayed at the house with the lights out. We still got people being angry and were honestly afraid things would escalate. We weren't the only ones who had problems but complaining, even to the police, made us look like grinches. :-(

You aren't alone. Before we moved to our current neighborhood, they had a couple of episodes with kids brought in from other areas. Many of the kids (and accompanying adults) behaved like those you describe. Our elderly neighbors said it was scary and unpleasant--instead of enjoying the visits with kids he mostly knew (or had seen around), he felt threatened by strangers demanding he hand over the candy. Our neighborhood now holds a "spirit night" at someone's house, where the kids can enjoy Halloween games and such.

I'm glad most posters have had good experiences, but I also understand where the neighbor in the OP is coming from (though his solution seems really unworkable).

Girly

« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2013, 03:27:51 PM »
I live in a rural area, and we get a lot of kids driven in. I really only have two complaints -

One: the parents that drive in their cars right behind their walking kids. Seriously? Our neighborhood is 1.8 miles. Get out and walk with them and stop being a danger to all the other kids walking around.
Two: the parents that drive up (we set up shop at the bottom of my pretty long driveway) with their kids in the car and just hold the bucket out the window for the kids.

For the teenage kids, if they actually dress up, then I give them the same handful of candy I give everyone else. Not dressed up (or just minimally dressed?) You only get one or two pieces.

I also pass out mulled cider for adults. Last year a couple of kids had a temper tantrum because I told them it was for adults, and they couldn't have BOTH cider and candy, but if they wanted the cider in place of the candy, that was fine. None of the kids took me up on that one.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2013, 06:02:42 PM »
I have Teddy Grahms for the toddlers. When I can't figure it out, I usually just ask the parent if the kid needs a candy bar or a packet of crackers. Anyone of obvious chocolate age gets a candy bar. Oh, and I usually have gum for the parents.

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2013, 07:06:38 PM »
As long as the ToTers are polite I don't care about their age or how dressed up they are. 

A couple of years ago I had a little girl politely ask if she could pick her candy because she was allergic to peanuts. Apparently some people were handing out the candy and not allowing any choice. Others only had chocolate*. I told her everything in my bowl was peanut free. She took a piece. I could tell she had a lot less candy than the other kids and gave her a couple of handfuls telling her us peanut allergic people have to stick together. (Sis was always sweet. She knew that a good portion of my candy would be removed because of peanuts. She would go through her haul and pick out my favorites and give them to me.)

*Most US chocolate isn't safe for people with peanut allergy. Even the safe brands aren't safe when it comes to the Halloween miniatures.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Shea

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2013, 09:00:16 AM »
I don't understand this animosity toward kids trick-or-treating in a neighborhood they don't live in. When I was growing up, we lived in the country, so if I wanted to ToT at all, I had to go into town. Some friends of my parents always had a Halloween party, so I'd go ToT with their kids and the kids' friends, in a regular neighborhood in town. I never had any idea some people think this is wrong until I read it on EHell.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2013, 09:13:17 AM »
One: the parents that drive in their cars right behind their walking kids. Seriously? Our neighborhood is 1.8 miles. Get out and walk with them and stop being a danger to all the other kids walking around.

I'd like to point out that some people are disabled and may not be capable of walking that distance.

lowspark

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2013, 09:21:29 AM »
I don't understand this animosity toward kids trick-or-treating in a neighborhood they don't live in. When I was growing up, we lived in the country, so if I wanted to ToT at all, I had to go into town. Some friends of my parents always had a Halloween party, so I'd go ToT with their kids and the kids' friends, in a regular neighborhood in town. I never had any idea some people think this is wrong until I read it on EHell.

I don't think anyone objects to a kid going trick-or-treating with a friend in the friend's neighborhood.
What some people do object to is when the kids from a not-so-nice area of town are piled into the car and dropped off at the nicer neighborhood because, let's face it, that's where the good candy is.

Like I said upthread, this happened when I was a kid, back in the 60s, and it happens today. I remember seeing those kids all piling out of a beat up truck to go trick-or-treating in my neighborhood. And I've seen it recently as well.

It doesn't bother me one bit. Kids are kids and it's Halloween and they want some candy. They live in a poorer part of town? All the more reason for them to want to partake of the bounty of candy being handed out that night.

It reminds me of the apocryphal quote when some bank robber was asked why he robbed banks and his reply was, "because that's where the money is". Not comparing these kids to bank robbers, but it's the same philosophy. You go where the candy is. Who can blame them!

Honestly, I don't know the kids in my neighborhood any more that the kids who don't live nearby. I buy a boatload of candy and hand it out to whomever knocks on the door. The quicker they come, the sooner I will run out and the sooner I can turn off the light and relax.

EllenS

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2013, 12:34:46 PM »
The problem I had when I lived in a "destination" neighborhood, was not the idea of children coming there to TorT, but that something about the process of being "trucked in" in groups seemed to incite a mob mentality in the kids and their parents.

Part of what makes trick or treat pleasant for everyone, is the neighborliness of it - whether you are geographical neighbors at all. It is a very tiny practice of hospitality.  It is an opportunity for children to learn about knocking on doors, greeting people, saying "thank you" and waiting their turn.

When the kids were brought in in large, minimally-chaperoned groups, they felt anonymous - so there was much more pushing aside of little kids, double-dipping at the same house, surliness, yelling and demanding, and generally obnoxious and unpleasant behavior.  The grownups either were absent, or did nothing to correct their charges. Instead of exclaiming over costumes and playing along, I spent the whole time correcting, refereeing, checking that the trampled littles were OK, turning away greedy double-dippers, and fielding complaints about the quantity/quality or selection of candy.  Sometimes I even had to physically rebuff grabby hands who tried to reach over/under my arms and snatch more than they were offered.   It was very unpleasant.

This was not a class thing, as most of the kids who got trucked in were from an equal or higher socioeconomic group, they just lived in areas that were not sidewalked or well-lit, so they came to us.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2013, 12:42:27 PM »

I don't think anyone objects to a kid going trick-or-treating with a friend in the friend's neighborhood.
What some people do object to is when the kids from a not-so-nice area of town are piled into the car and dropped off at the nicer neighborhood because, let's face it, that's where the good candy is.

Like I said upthread, this happened when I was a kid, back in the 60s, and it happens today. I remember seeing those kids all piling out of a beat up truck to go trick-or-treating in my neighborhood. And I've seen it recently as well.

It doesn't bother me one bit. Kids are kids and it's Halloween and they want some candy. They live in a poorer part of town? All the more reason for them to want to partake of the bounty of candy being handed out that night.

It reminds me of the apocryphal quote when some bank robber was asked why he robbed banks and his reply was, "because that's where the money is". Not comparing these kids to bank robbers, but it's the same philosophy. You go where the candy is. Who can blame them!

Honestly, I don't know the kids in my neighborhood any more that the kids who don't live nearby. I buy a boatload of candy and hand it out to whomever knocks on the door. The quicker they come, the sooner I will run out and the sooner I can turn off the light and relax.

See I always assumed they did it not because of better candy but their parents felt safer with them walking door to door in the nicer neighborhood.

In college I belonged to a club that decided one year we'd take part in an event a local hotel was doing.  They'd kept one floor empty and were renting out the rooms for a small fee to organizations, asking them to come in and do up the rooms so that the kids who live in not so nice parts of town could come to the hotel and trick or treat there. 

We had a blast turning the room we rented into a haunted house, dressing in costume and handing out candy to the kiddies and feeling good about letting kids have a fun and safe place to get candy and not missing out on it.  And granted it's been a while, but from what I remember the kids and the parents were very polite and no one was greedy. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

lowspark

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2013, 12:46:46 PM »
Hmmm... good point. That didn't occur to me. But honestly, it doesn't matter to me which it is. Kids are kids. I'm giving the candy to whomever knocks on my door. And I have never experienced any rudeness other than kids forgetting to say thank you which is pretty typical for the excitement of the event.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2013, 01:34:45 PM »
I think that a secret password system would work better. Too much drama!

Hillia

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2013, 03:59:22 PM »
10 or so years ago, DS and I lived in a smallish town which had a neighborhood of beautiful, carefully restored Victorian homes.  This area covered an area of about 2x3 blocks. The residents went all out, with elaborate displays in their yards, sometimes in the front rooms that could be seen through large plate glass windows.  They blocked off the streets in their neighborhood and the word was out that kids from all over town were invited to trick or treat there.  It had been going on for many years when DS and I were there.  Sadly, they stopped a few years later - the kids were getting rude and obnoxious, running through yards and destroying the decorations, being rude and greedy at the doors of the homes, etc.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2013, 08:21:50 AM »
Having taught kids from "not so nice" neighborhoods, their parents bring them into the nicer neighborhoods so they don't get jumped, robbed of candy or otherwise terrorized. Halloween is a particularly dangerous time in those areas. While "goid candy" is a nice bonus, safety is probably the big draw.

People from farm country where you might only get 4 houses in a mile or two can also come into the suburbs.