Author Topic: [Update] Halloween Neighbor "Candy Pass" [update post 92]  (Read 11903 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: Halloween Neighbor "Candy Pass"
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2013, 10:06:52 AM »
I saw something really neat last night.  Several houses of neighbors would gather together in one driveway and have a potluck.  The chairs were setup in a horseshoe, and every household brought a bowl of candy.  So, the kids sort of had a one-stop Shop of T&Ting, and the adults could exclaim to each other over the cute costumes.  I live in Texas and the weather was amazing.  My friend in a belly dancer costume was a tish cold. 

The Wild One, Forever

« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2013, 06:39:59 PM »
We were out in our neighborhood last night and a conversation with a neighbor reminded me of this thread. Our neighborhood is actually great for trick-or-treating with small children - we're bordered by two busy roads and two dead ends, so it's basically a T-shape, with 2 small cul-de-sacs. Little traffic except for the people who live in the neighborhood. Easy to get up and down and very manageable size for little ones!

Anyway, our neighbor mentioned that we tend to have a lot of people 'drive in' and he viewed it as a "testament to the neighborhood." I thought that was a really nice, welcoming way to look at it. I'm of the belief that every kid should have the fun of going door-to-door, so if your neighborhood isn't appropriate for it, come on over!

My only issue with people driving in is safety -- if you can just park at the top of the block and walk around, you are most welcome. I do worry about people driving from house to house with all the kids running around.

I completely agree.  Both my cousin's neighborhood and my new neighborhood are kind of known for having a lot of out-of-town trick or treaters, and I passed out candy to several groups of them Thursday.  The kids all looked like they were having a blast!  The more the merrier, I say, and I agree also that is speaks well of the neighborhood.
Soft silly music is meaningful, magical

SisJackson

• Wear Sunscreen!
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2013, 01:42:29 AM »
OK - update to the "candy pass" deal - it was apparently way different than I'd originally thought.  The couple put out eight actual vending machines in front of their garage that took tokens; I guess he owns and/or services machines.  They handed out extra tokens to the neighborhood kids in advance of Halloween per the signs, plus they could trick-or-treat for a single token on the night of.

The kids could talk of nothing else.  We had our porch decorated up as a mad scientist's laboratory, with bubbling beakers of glow-in-the-dark liquids and a laser and a fog machine, but who cares?  There are real vending machines just a few doors down!  Kids were willing to stand in line just to get to hand pick their favorite candy and press the buttons.  Kids could also buy candy as the machines took coins as well as the tokens, and not a few children were begging their parents/chaperones for spare change.

We didn't get a chance to wander down that way and see the spectacle for ourselves, unfortunately.  My husband was unable to hand out candy in his big welding gloves and so did little more than practice his evil laugh and ask if the kids wanted experimental candy or normal candy, while I spent the entire evening distributing.  We got the gist of the story from the kids who couldn't shut up about the vending machine house, and the parents filled us in on some.  I lost count of the kids but we went through five Costco bags of candy, 150 pieces each, but I know some kids got two pieces rather than the usual one.

When I learned that there were hundreds of kids touching these machines I also quickly ran in and got my big pump bottle of hand sanitizer and offered it for use - got lots of takers, and that's half gone now too.  I just thought those machine button panels had to be a germ festival going on.

It wasn't as bad as I'd expected and the kids seemed to like what they had going on - neighborhood kids got as many as three candies at this guy's house and unless the trucked-in kids double-dipped or bought, they only got one.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Re: [Update] Halloween Neighbor "Candy Pass" [update post 92]
« Reply #93 on: November 03, 2013, 09:40:19 AM »
That sounds like a generous family! And nice that they were willing to go to some trouble so that kids they knew got an extra level of fun.

I did notice in the very original plan that the offer was "if you're our neighbor, we'd like to give you MORE candy"--it didn't say that non-neighbors couldn't get anything.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2013, 10:04:47 AM »
That's a nice update.  Thank you.

I think most of us agree that the Candy Pass neighbor gets a 'Get out of E-Hell Free' card. 

Goosey

« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2013, 08:31:45 PM »
Well, those kids wouldn't have been any more exposed to germs from the vending machines than they would on a given day at school, so I do think you didn't need to worry about the sanitizer. Nice gesture, though!

katycoo

« Reply #96 on: November 03, 2013, 08:54:19 PM »
Every piece of candy that a kid accepted had been touched by at least one other person.  The vending machine woudln't have been any worse.

magicdomino

« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2013, 12:38:32 PM »
That's a nice update.  Thank you.

I think most of us agree that the Candy Pass neighbor gets a 'Get out of E-Hell Free' card.

I agree.  I'm also having visions of suitably decorated vending machines.   :D