Author Topic: I know something you don't know.  (Read 2799 times)

alis

I know something you don't know.
« on: October 08, 2013, 07:04:32 AM »
On my Facebook moms group (I know all these women in person), a woman is telling a story of how a local grocery store bag boy actually walked her out with an umbrella while she pushed the buggy, her kids, and her groceries. Now they are all writing letters of commendation to the store, and one is apparently going to ask that the bag boy get a raise.

The thing is, I know (because my mom works there), that it is actually a store policy to do this when it's raining and a woman has little kids in her cart  ;)

On one hand, I want to share this with them if they want to shop there this winter. On the other hand, it seems like it might be rude to sort of burst the bubble and say "sorry, he's not a special snowflake". Thoughts?

Redsoil

Re: I know something you don't know.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »
I would think a post to the group, saying something like "That's one of the things I love about shopping at *store* - it's their policy to assist customers who may otherwise have difficulties due to loads or inclement weather". 
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Teenyweeny

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:12:33 AM »
Why would you stop this? The store KNOWS what their policy is. If they get a bunch of letters saying how appreciated the gesture was, then they'll feel moved to continue what sounds like a nice policy. It's not like anybody is going to lose here, those women who feel moved to contact the store will probably spend 5 minutes over the task, if that.

All I see happening is you sounding like a party pooper, even if you are right.  :)

And hey, the policy is obviously doing what the store intended it to do; it's encouraging people to spread good PR about the store, so more people shop there.

flickan

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »
Why would you stop this? The store KNOWS what their policy is. If they get a bunch of letters saying how appreciated the gesture was, then they'll feel moved to continue what sounds like a nice policy. It's not like anybody is going to lose here, those women who feel moved to contact the store will probably spend 5 minutes over the task, if that.

All I see happening is you sounding like a party pooper, even if you are right.  :)

And hey, the policy is obviously doing what the store intended it to do; it's encouraging people to spread good PR about the store, so more people shop there.

I agree 100%.

And if the young man hears about it how much better for everyone, he's given positive reinforcement for doing a good job.

This is a good thing they're doing, why rain on the parade?

Niamh84

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:57:27 AM »
I think her point is that she'd like to let them know that it's store policy so that might encourage them all to go there.  Though I would imagine they have already been encouraged to go there by the one story so I wouldn't bother saying anything.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 07:58:38 AM »
I don't think OP wants to put a stop to the positive feedback her group plans to send the courtesy clerk/store, I think she wants to tell everyone "Hey, good news, it's actually store policy and they'll help you too!" She's concerned it'll come off as "Um, you didn't get special treatment, they all do that." I like redsoils's suggestion.

Teenyweeny

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:17:57 AM »
I don't think OP wants to put a stop to the positive feedback her group plans to send the courtesy clerk/store, I think she wants to tell everyone "Hey, good news, it's actually store policy and they'll help you too!" She's concerned it'll come off as "Um, you didn't get special treatment, they all do that." I like redsoils's suggestion.

If that's the case, I might say, "Oh, that's so nice of Store! I've heard of them doing that for other customers too, what great service!"

That would have the same effect, and be technically true, without the possible bluntness that could be attached to pointing out that the practice is actually store policy.

SciFiLeslie

• Hello Sweetie!
  • Rule #1: The Doctor lies
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:47:02 AM »
On one hand, I want to share this with them if they want to shop there this winter. On the other hand, it seems like it might be rude to sort of burst the bubble and say "sorry, he's not a special snowflake". Thoughts?

I'm sorry I am confused.  To whom are you referring as a special snowflake?  The bagger?  Because that makes no sense to me.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 09:17:26 AM »
On my Facebook moms group (I know all these women in person), a woman is telling a story of how a local grocery store bag boy actually walked her out with an umbrella while she pushed the buggy, her kids, and her groceries. Now they are all writing letters of commendation to the store, and one is apparently going to ask that the bag boy get a raise.

The thing is, I know (because my mom works there), that it is actually a store policy to do this when it's raining and a woman has little kids in her cart  ;)

Just because it's store policy it doesn't mean it's always followed.  My husband also works for a retail store which prides itself on very very very high customer service.  His customer service manual is huge.  And in the several years I've shopped at the store, I have yet to see a single employee do ALL what they are required to do.  And cheerfully at that.

This bagger apparently made a terrific impression and really made this mom's day by following one of the rules in the store policy.  Let the bagger have his "day" be made.

Betelnut

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 09:19:16 AM »

I'm sorry I am confused.  To whom are you referring as a special snowflake?  The bagger?  Because that makes no sense to me.

I think Alis may not know what special snowflake means? 
Native Texan, Marylander currently

alis

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble which is why I asked first :) Okay, I just won't say anything then.

kategillian

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 09:44:26 AM »
Honestly, I would love to have my boss recognize a good thing that I have done, even if its company policy. If these ladies comments get this young gentleman an 'atta boy' at work, I think that would be great! Comments to management are so often complaints,I think those women should absolutely recognize a great policy!

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 11:34:20 AM »

I agree with all the above1

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »
Just because it's store policy it doesn't mean it's always followed.  My husband also works for a retail store which prides itself on very very very high customer service.  His customer service manual is huge.  And in the several years I've shopped at the store, I have yet to see a single employee do ALL what they are required to do.  And cheerfully at that.

This bagger apparently made a terrific impression and really made this mom's day by following one of the rules in the store policy.  Let the bagger have his "day" be made.

I completely agree. I wouldn't say anything to your friends. It sounds like they are enthused with the customer service and would probably shop there anyway.