Author Topic: Field Trip drivers  (Read 11529 times)

CocoCamm

• Leader of the 3 ring circus
Re: Field Trip drivers
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2013, 06:20:44 PM »
There is a way to insure that this never happens again.  The OP can volunteer to be a driver for subsequent field trips.  Its usually the same moms that are always the room mothers, drivers, den mothers and girl scout leaders.   Some parents (and I don't mean the OP) never volunteer and yet expect the volunteers to behave as if they were paid employees.

I'm sure that the field trip left late and the other mother was supposed to be back in time to pick up her other children.

No, the way to ensure this never happens again is for the school to get involved and inform Late Mom that she is never again allowed to drive the kids then make sure that any future volunteers are aware how serious the rules are.

And it doesn't matter whether one is being paid or they are volunteering if there are rules you follow them or don't bother showing up. Late Mom wasn't doing anyone a favor by traipsing around town with other peoples children when she should have been dropping them off at school.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »
It is possible the other children are old enough not to need carseats. As for questions about smoking or previous accidents, those would exist no matter what. You could always opt to drive your child on your own.

flickan

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
Count me in with those who think this is a big deal and should never have happened.

If you can't get ahold of the parent to let them know then you shouldn't be doing it.  Imagine if she'd gotten caught in traffic and ten minutes had become half an hour?  How much unnecessary stress and panic that would put a parent through!

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2013, 06:54:55 PM »
10 minutes is an eternity when you don't know where your 5 year old is.  If the other mom wanted to approach me on the issue, I think I would (try to) politely keep repeating that, "10 minutes is an eternity when you don't know where your 5 year old is."

As for mom being late for picking up her other kids, if her schedule was that tight, she should not have volunteered.

But she knew where her child was - in the other car.  You know stuff happens.  You can be delayed by an accident, have to stop for gas or to let a child go to the bathroom.  Ten minutes isn't a big deal.

Yes, "stuff happens".  That is the mom's fear. 
One car in a convoy is not going to arrive 10 minutes after all the others, unless they have made an unscheduled stop.  If it was a necessary pit stop, she could have called one of the other drivers, or used a landline pay phone at the gas station.   But she didn't, because it wasn't.

The idea "well, it could have been this or it could have been that" is irrelevant - in REALITY, the driving mom decided to divert for reasons of her own (which may have been poor planning and communication or simple selfishness)  Totally unacceptable, and apparently against the school's stated policy.
                www.ellenseltz.com

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2013, 07:05:46 PM »
I don't care if it is 10 hours or 10 minutes...my child is in a car with someone I don't know, meaning he doesn't know and she is breaking protocol .  I know had that been my child I would have asked her what the very warm place was she thinking???  I would make sure the school knew my child was never chaperoned in any way shape or form by this mom again. 

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2013, 07:07:45 PM »
Went back and read the OP. It doesn't sound like a convoy because vehicles were staggered coming back.

Also, they were late in general. If this trip took longerthan the driver had originally been told she would not have been able to anticipate a conflict with her other kids and picking them up. If everything had been running on schedule she would have returned to preschool, then icked up her kids. However, the event ran long and she was faced with.a conflict.

Maybe she should have assumed something would go wrong and a conflict would arise. She probably will next time. I would not say anything to her this time.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 07:14:18 PM »
I see field trips as still being in school, this includes getting to and from.  So just as if another parent couldn't take little Timmy out of class and walk off with him.  Parents can't make a pit stop with little Timmy in their car during a field trip to run a personal errand.

But this wasn't a personal errand. This was picking her kids up at school. And, if it's like my school, there is a limited time frame in which you can get the kids or you get in serious trouble with the school.

Sorry, but picking up other children (even if they are yours) from school is a personal errand. It is definitely not part of the field trip.

If the field trip goes past the time you need to pick up other kids, don't volunteer as a driver.

If the field trip runs late and you really need to pick up your other kids, you need to tell some other adult from the preschool in advance, i.e., before everyone left the pumpkin patch.

I have some sympathy because I can see how the mom may have had a time frame in mind

3:00: Leave pumpkin patch
3:30 :Arrive Preschool and drop off kid
3:40 :Go to Elementary and pick up older kids

Then there is a delay leaving the pumpkin patch and she may not have noticed or may have noticed and thought she still had time to go to the preschool and then the older kids school.

Then she gets in the car and realises that there is no way she will be able to get to elementary school in time if she goes to the preschool first. So she tries to call and can't so fetches her children.

I mean I know that I often get in the car (with young children) and realise that it 10 or 15 minutes later than it should be because the time evaporates.

I wouldn't see it as a big deal if my kid arrived later in a convey.

Sorry, your bad time mangagement skills are your problem alone and should not impact other parents.

If everyone else has arrived and no one has been told where you went, other parents of your children are rightfully worried about their children.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:17:06 PM by QueenfaninCA »

Please pass the Calgon

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 07:15:24 PM »
If it was an hour or something, yes then I would be annoyed and maybe a bit worried but I don't worry much about stuff in general.

LOL, there would be cops out looking for her car if she had my preschool child and was 'an hour or something' late with no contact. My three are now 14, 11 & 9 and I still don't mess around with stuff like that. If you are going to be more than 10 minutes late, you call or text...no exceptions.

I'd let the school know that my child was no longer allowed to ride with that parent, or needed to be on the bus if I wasn't attending that trip.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 07:18:22 PM »
Preschools don't usually have busses.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
10 minutes is an eternity when you don't know where your 5 year old is.  If the other mom wanted to approach me on the issue, I think I would (try to) politely keep repeating that, "10 minutes is an eternity when you don't know where your 5 year old is."

As for mom being late for picking up her other kids, if her schedule was that tight, she should not have volunteered.

But she knew where her child was - in the other car.  You know stuff happens.  You can be delayed by an accident, have to stop for gas or to let a child go to the bathroom.  Ten minutes isn't a big deal.

Or she could be delayed by actually having an accident. This is why parents worry when everyone else has arrived 10 minutes ago and one car is still missing and the driver didn't let anyone know of the planned detour.

Poppea

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 07:25:32 PM »
She didn't stop for gas or let a kid use the restroom. She broke the rules and took a child who wasn't hers on a personal errand. She should not have volunteered if her timeline didn't allow for the trip.
We don't know how much the OP volunteers and that is irrelevant to the situation.
She should not be allowed to do field trips anymore and the drivers should have to read and sign the rules before driving.

If you are not an employee of the school, you would not be performing "personal errands".

Whether or not the OP volunteers is relevent.  If a 10 minute delay is going to upset her she needs to be driving her own child.

Poppea

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 07:29:28 PM »
Count me in with those who think this is a big deal and should never have happened.

If you can't get ahold of the parent to let them know then you shouldn't be doing it.  Imagine if she'd gotten caught in traffic and ten minutes had become half an hour?  How much unnecessary stress and panic that would put a parent through!

She left a message with the director:

"Later it would turn out that she did try and call the preschool director from the car, and let her know what was up.  However cell service is pretty bad in our area, especially outside of town, and the director didn't get the messages until later in the day."

NyaChan

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 07:31:21 PM »
I think she would have known when they left the field trip for the school that she would be running late and that was the time for her to speak up and let the school staff know about her problem.  Once she left with the child, she should have followed through and instead called her own kids' school to tell them she was running late for pickup.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2013, 07:32:50 PM »

She left a message with the director:

"Later it would turn out that she did try and call the preschool director from the car, and let her know what was up.  However cell service is pretty bad in our area, especially outside of town, and the director didn't get the messages until later in the day."

I think this is not the situation to leave a message. This is a situation where you actually need to talk to a person.

AuntyEm

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2013, 07:34:37 PM »
I don't think she should have stopped to pick up her other kids without prior approval from someone at the school that could relay that message to anyone who needed to know.   I think pushing the panic button at 10 minutes late is over the top.   Everyone driving needs to have a working cell phone and a person available to contact in the event there is a change in the agreed schedule.