Author Topic: s/o Wedding evangelizing - Forewarning of wedding service content?  (Read 9979 times)

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
Re: s/o Wedding evangelizing - Forewarning of wedding service content?
« Reply #150 on: October 10, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
Some of these stories are truly awful.  For me it would be strange to know someone well enough to be invited to their wedding, but not well enough to know that they subscribe to beliefs that are so abhorrent to you.  Maybe this is because I wear my faith on my sleeve and generally am aware and tolerant of the faith or lack thereof of people in my life, and maybe because I don't take differences in belief systems personally.  For those of you who have experienced these horrible weddings, did you cut ties with the HC?

I think you may have misunderstood some of the posts. In some cases, maybe the couple really does hold some abhorrent view, but in a lot of the examples provided, the minister has hijacked the event into a soliloquy on some issue that (a) might be under debate within the faith, such that there are differing opinions among members; (b) might be pretty minor in the grand scheme of the church's doctrine, such that a member might disagree with that one thing but find great meaning in the rest of the faith, or (c) isn't really even part of doctrine at all, but just some garbage in the minister's head. I'm pretty sure the marital-relations-equal-murder thing is not found in Methodist doctrine anywhere. Nor do I think it's fair to characterize people who are offended by such diatribes as not as "tolerant" as yourself, or "taking differences personally." I don't think you have to be "intolerant" to get angry when accused of killing your spouse, or if you hear something like a racist rant. I realize you are close to several ministers in your life, but please understand that none of us have met your particular loved ones and we're not talking about them. There are bad apples in every profession, and some are drawn to ministerial power for the wrong reasons.

QueenfaninCA

« Reply #151 on: October 10, 2013, 06:31:55 PM »
Of course you have an opinion, we all have an opinion.  What you don't get to have is a say in how they express their beliefs while performing a rite of their own religion.

"If they work on it?"  Why on earth should they? 

I just cannot fathom the idea that it is somehow the duty of Purples to make their religion palatable to me as an Orange.  There are lots of religions I disagree with, some quite vehemently.

But I am not entitled to go into their house and tell them they ought to be/act/think more like ME.

I'm not sure if you are trying to on purpose misunderstand what I am trying to say.

All I am trying to say is: You are inviting Oranges into the purple church for a wedding. Is this really the time to center the sermon around a particular part of the purple teachings that is really offensive to oranges? Is it really so hard to for once preach about an aspect of the purple teachings that the oranges agree on.

IMVHO the officiant should be somewhat mindful of the guests of the HC that they have brought to his/her church. Ina way they are also guests of his/her church. And don't most religions/cultures have something about treating guests well while under your roof?

No, they don't need to preach about something that's outside the purple teachings. But do you really have to mention a little thing that is of no real relevance to the sermon but highly offensive to the Oranges?

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #152 on: October 10, 2013, 06:41:14 PM »

...  I don't think anyone on our guest list is the type to be offended by that sort of thing (we have already 'lived in sin' for the past 5 years - I think they would have made their displeasure known by now).

Actually if they're quite conservative, they're probably jumping up and down with glee that you're FINALLY going to make it legal!!   ;D

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: October 10, 2013, 06:50:24 PM »
Topic locked, because it's veering into theological territory.