Author Topic: At least I was polite  (Read 4386 times)

scotcat60

At least I was polite
« on: October 09, 2013, 06:59:59 AM »
In the Post Office yesterday, a woman I'd never seen before was waiting for the lift to go downstairs, and seeing me called out cheerfully "Hello Darlin' how are you?" Almost automatically I replied "Fine thanks, how are you?" She said something like she was fine too, then the lift came, and she went down in it.

I reflected afterwards that she must have mistaken me for someone else. This could cause problems, but I can't remedy that, she was a total stranger. However, I was polite in my response. Or perhaps she was just a happy person, greeting all she met?

How would e-hellions respond? I was once mistaken for someone else, and when I denied being her, the other person got very annoyed, and insisted I was who she said I was, and flounced off in a terrible huff when I was equally instant that I knew who I was, and it wasn't who she thought I was!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 07:02:54 AM by scotcat60 »

jmarvellous

Re: At least I was polite
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:25:32 AM »
Maybe it's because I'm from Texas,  but this thought process wouldn't even come close to how I'd view this situation. I am pretty sure, barring anything you've left out,  that she was just being friendly.

I don't love "darlin'" but don't think it's bizarre.

oogyda

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:09:34 AM »
I probably would have responded the same way you did.  I wouldn't worry too much about if she thought you were someone else. 
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

flickan

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 08:22:10 AM »
I spent a lot of my life down south and "honey, sugar, darlin'" is something you get used to.

I don't like these terms at all.  But there's no reason for me to take offense if none is meant.

I don't think she mistook you for someone else.  I think she was just being familiar.

cwm

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 09:57:59 AM »
I agree with PPs, I don't think this woman mistook you for someone. I've been called darlin', honey, love, sweetie, and missy often enough that I just don't even notice any more. It's not my favorite way of being addressed, but it's not offensive and certainly not anything to worry about.

OP, I think you did fine.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 10:02:46 AM »
I think she was just being what a friend calls 'preternaturally cheerful'. 

There are people like this.  Like others, I'm not thrilled with 'Darlin' or 'Sweetie' but it's no big deal.  The one that did throw me was being called 'Ducks' in Staffordshire. 

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 10:06:33 AM »
I think she was just being what a friend calls 'preternaturally cheerful'. 

There are people like this.  Like others, I'm not thrilled with 'Darlin' or 'Sweetie' but it's no big deal.  The one that did throw me was being called 'Ducks' in Staffordshire.
I'm now adding to my Bucket List "go to Staffordshire, so someone will call me 'Ducks'".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

lowspark

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 11:39:36 AM »
Another Texan here and yeah, that sort of exchange is pretty common around here. People are always calling strangers by terms of endearment and giving this sort of greeting. I pretty much reply as you did.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 11:43:15 AM »
I remember being a bit taken aback right after I moved to Virginia and a store clerk (female, younger than me) called me "Baby." "Can I help you find anything, Baby?" Quite bizarre to me, who grew up  in New England. I've gotten a bit more used to it now.

Zilla

• Super Hero!
    • Cooking
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »
It common here too to hear that sort of greeting.  When I first moved here, it was disconcerting.  Now I am used to it and respond as you did.

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »
I've never seen a Post Office with an elevator!  :D

I'm sure I'd have responded pretty much like you did. Whether she knew you, only thought she did, or was just a cheery person doesn't even matter, really- she was nice, and so were you.

heartmug

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 01:05:30 PM »
I probably wouldn't have responded because I would have assumed they had a Bluetooth in their ear, that I couldn't see, and were talking to someone on the phone.
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

jaxsue

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 05:07:33 PM »
Another Texan here and yeah, that sort of exchange is pretty common around here. People are always calling strangers by terms of endearment and giving this sort of greeting. I pretty much reply as you did.

I lived in NE FL for several years (yes, part of FL is still southern!)  :) We were influenced by southern GA, no doubt. Hearing terms of endearment like that was the norm.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »
Of the various things I have been called by strangers in public, this sounds like one of the better options!
                www.ellenseltz.com

scotcat60

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »
I've never seen a Post Office with an elevator!   

It's a small one, and there because the Post Office is siiuated on the upper floor of my local branch of W.H.Smith's, a well known stationers, so people with prams, wheelchairs etc. can use it. Several small P.O.s in my London borough have been closed, and the bigger ones relocated to Smith's