7 (24.1%)
Transporter a la Star Trek
10 (34.5%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: October 30, 2013, 11:41:19 AM

Author Topic: Travel  (Read 1135 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Travel
« on: October 09, 2013, 11:41:19 AM »
I was thinking about our upcoming cruise, and that sea travel is my favorite method.

What is your favorite mode of travel? Why?

Nibsey

Re: Travel
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 11:53:43 AM »
I'm sorry but I couldn't resist picking the transporter.  :P

In reality probably air mainly as Mam was afraid of flying so the first time I was on a airplane was when I was 16. It's like an amusement ride at the beginning and then an excuse to read for hours. Whats not to like.  ;D
“I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”- Douglas Adams
Éire (Ireland)

123sandy

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 12:31:37 PM »
I'm a white-knuckle flier (though I try to hide it from the kids) so I much prefer to take the overnight ferry from Europe to the UK when we go home.

cwm

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »
I'd love to be able to transport, don't get me wrong. I've never tried sea travel before, but I'd like to at some point. Maybe not a Transatlantic crossing, but a cruise would be nice, in the right place.

Honestly, I'm torn between air and land. Flying gets you there so much faster, but you can pack more and enjoy the experience of the drive itself in a car. Before high school I only took one vacation by plane, the rest was by car, and we'd always stop in quirky towns and greasy spoon diners on the way. I loved it. But when I started seeing someone in Canada, it was much easier to fly up there. Costs were about the same, and if I flew I could spend more time with her rather than in transit, so if the prices on flights were right, I could take a long vacation from work and spend it there. Flying, of course, doesn't really work when you have no ground-based transportation at your destination. If you're going to Toronto or New York City or somewhere else with a great transit system, great. But if you were to fly into Kansas City and expect to get around without a car, sorry, not happening. And a rental car is just another expense tacked on in addition to all the flight expenses.

I'm planning a vacaton next year to Yellowstone. I'm going to drive. Not sure if I'm going to rent a car or not, but there's no feasible way to fly out there with all the camping gear, clothes, and necessities for a week. And since I already have that stuff, it's going to be easier to fly it out rather than buy it there.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:56:24 PM »
I like air and land.  I haven't had much chance to travel by sea. The main thing is that I like to travel, though money doesn't really allow it right now.

Lynnv

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
I vote for land and transporter.

Transporter for day to day stuff like going back and forth to LA since my company has had me working there for several months (I fly home every weekend).

Land for fun travel.  Which, for me, means via motorcycle.  DH would add trains to the mix-and I don't mind train travel, but don't love it the way he does either.

And I would love to be able to use a transporter to get to the point where I want to start the land travel part of my adventure.  ">
Lynn

"Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat."  Robert A. Heinlein

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 03:14:17 PM »
I think part of the mystique and passion of sea travel comes from never seeing the ocean until I was in my 20's. Also, as children we road-tripped and couch-surfed for every vacation.

Taking a road trip with DH and DS? Awesome! We stop every few hours, eat real meals and stay in decent accommodations or camp!

As a child, with my siblings, an over-packed car and cranky parents? Not awesome! We always ate picnic sandwiches just like we did at home, my parents only wanted to stop if we needed fuel and we were back on the road right away.

OSUJillyBean

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 05:40:46 PM »
I prefer to fly as it get you to your destination faster and we often fly first or business class.  Love being pampered!   ;D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 05:47:14 PM »
I used to love to fly but it's such a hassle now and always feels like "hurry up, now wait." I think my too frequent business travel soured me.

Our family loves road trips. You get to see so much more, stop at weird places, visit more than your destination on the way. And car travel is very relaxing to me an I'm always on my own schedule.

But I love train travel in Europe. The first time I traveled by train, we arrived about 45 min early and got really confused because our train wasn't listed yet. We learned we were there way too early. No need to spend an hour sitting around waiting.

marcel

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »
I find the options a bit limiting.

By sea, I have no interest at all in ever going on a cruise ship, but I am an avid sailor, so do love traveling by sailboat.

By land, there are so many different options by land, that saying just by land is completely meaningless to me.
You can go by bus. This is uncomfortable but often very cheap
You can go by train. This is relatively comfortable (compared to bus and plane) but often quite expensive
You can drive yourself. This is quite comfortable and I do like driving, but when alone it can get a bit boring, and it is quite expensive alone.

My personal favourite way of traveling is still hitchhiking. It is cheap, comfortable, fun, you never know who you will meet and what will happen, or even where you will end up sometimes. The only downside is that you can not be completely sure when (or if) you will arrive.
Wherever you go..... There you are.

katycoo

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »
I don't mind car or air travel but I do find it confining.  I prefer train or sea travel as you can get up and move around.  It makes the actual trip enjoyable rather than a means to a destination.

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 08:20:40 PM »
Sea, I love cursing and I even get seasick. DH and I want to fly to the US one of these days and cruise back.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 08:27:30 PM »
For me, it depends on the purpose of the trip. 

Travelling overseas, definitely flying.  Cruise ships take forever to get anywhere from here.  Smaller cruises (eg South Pacific, NZ) maybe, but I'd rather get there quickly and spend more time at the destination.  The transporter sounds ideal!  Beam me up, Scottie!

Having said that, I've booked to do a 15 day cruise of the Danube next year.  It sounds like a nice gentle cruise, plenty to see, plenty of stops, rather than days of ocean.

I've only once taken a long train trip, and I didn't particularly enjoy it.  I've done enough long-haul bus trips to know they're not for me.

Trips around Australia I've done via motorcycle and car.  As I mentioned, it depends on the purpose. 

Long bike trips are wonderful, but you're limited in luggage, and weather can be a big factor in the enjoyment.  For some reason more people want to interact with you (every man and his dog wants to stop and talk about your bike and his old BSA/Triumph/AJS he had back in the 60's...)  I remember once, sitting on a bench at a lookout over 3000km from home, with the ex, and I heard a voice behind us say "Well, I'm not going to offer to swap, you know!"  It was a very elderly man on a mobility scooter, looking at the bikes.   ;D  On a bike, the ride is the purpose as much as the destination.

Car trips are great too - no luggage worries, you can buy as many souvenirs as you want, no worries about rain...  But they're a bit more isolating than bike trips.  You're just another car on the road.  There's the same advantage, though, of being totally free to stop wherever takes your fancy. 

kckgirl

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 08:49:35 PM »
I prefer travel by car so that I can control the schedule. It's very rare that I get caught in traffic jams during road trips. If it happened more often, I might prefer the train. Occasionally, I fly, but I really don't like it and would prefer to drive.
Maryland

demarco

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2013, 09:36:45 PM »
Not sea.  I've never traveled by ship but DH and I have experienced enough disasters in small to medium sized boats that I have become convinced that we are both water jinxes  who should never again set foot  on anything that floats.

Not air. I liked flying thirty-five years ago but no more.  It's good to get where you need to go fast but flying has become such an appalling ordeal that I cringe just thinking about it. If I need to go more than 800 miles or so and I don't have time for a major road trip, I'll fly.  Otherwise, not. 

My choice is land. I've taken one epic train ride which I enjoyed very much and I wouldn't mind taking one of those Amtrak routes out west.  Otherwise, I've totally had it with common carriers.  My preferred mode of travel is my small, charcoal grey, somewhat sinister looking SUV.  (I call it the Batmobile.) My favorite way to drive is alone, with my thoughts and my hand and only my hand on the radio buttons.