Author Topic: Cat & Lodger issue - Warning, a bit icky :)  (Read 6539 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Cat & Lodger issue - Warning, a bit icky :)
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2013, 12:22:17 PM »
If a cat doesn't like you or thinks that you aren't keeping their litter box "clean enough" (for the cat), you will know.

This is also a good reason to teach your kids to hang up their clothes and put them in drawers or on shelves - because if the cat doesn't pick your bed - they might pick any clothes on the floor...and it takes a couple of washes to get THAT smell out of them.

I'd also remind the lodger that their clothing needs to be left in their private space and not draped on the back of furniture in a common room - because jackets have been known to fall off the back of a chair onto the floor, where a pet can get their teeth, claws, or backside on it....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2013, 03:20:31 PM »
The problem now though is that she keeps leaving her door open, and when I tell her it has to be shut she just whines and says she forgot.  We're now on notice that he's likely to do it again, and she doesn't seem to care about being careful.

My questions are 1. Does she have a responsibility to make sure the cat stays out of her room, and 2. If he pees on her bed again because she's left the door open, can I tell her that she has to replace the bedding?

I'm torn. First, I'd like to say that your lodger really does sound very unreasonable and like a real pill to deal with. I'm addressing the general situation that A) your pet has started destroying your lodger's possessions and B) you want to require the lodger to keep her door shut to prevent a recurrence.

On the one hand, yes, a lodger should make minor accommodations to assist you in dealing with the problem and keeping her possessions safe. However, IMO "you must keep your door shut at all times" is not at all a normal expectation for a lodger. Having property damage as the consequence for forgetting is even more unusual/extreme. If (hypothetically) everyone keeping their doors shut were the rule for your household, it should have been stated up front, before you accepted the lodger. Thus, even though there are extenuating circumstances (you couldn't predict the cat's behavior), you've still essentially pulled a bait-and-switch on your lodger. In general, I think when you need to change the terms of lodging after the fact, then you ought to offer some type of compensation, such as a small reduction in the rent. In this case, you're changing the terms by asking her to keep her door shut and to accept responsibility for the damages if she forgets.

That said, it sounds like you've already given this particular lodger leeway in terms of late rent, so I think you're in the clear. She changed the terms of the agreement by paying late and gave you attitude about paying at all, while all you asked is that she keep the door closed.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »
The mattress is the OP's, no? Because this is a lodger, not a roommate, so I would expect that the OP would be providing a furnished room. (I may be wrong--please correct me if I am.)

I've had a peed-on comforter end up stained, but sheets and *most* comforters aren't destroyed because urine got on them. They're imminently washable.

As for keeping the door to her room closed? I think that's a perfectly reasonable request.

If (hypothetically) everyone keeping their doors shut were the rule for your household, it should have been stated up front, before you accepted the lodger. Thus, even though there are extenuating circumstances (you couldn't predict the cat's behavior), you've still essentially pulled a bait-and-switch on your lodger.

I reject this.

One cannot anticipate all the contingencies that need to happen in a household. It's just not possible. I don't think it's unreasonable at all for the OP to make this now a requirement.

In fact, actually, it's the *cat* who has made this a requirement--it's simply "how the world works" right now.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »
...I'm addressing the general situation that A) your pet has started destroying your lodger's possessions and B) you want to require the lodger to keep her door shut to prevent a recurrence.

On the one hand, yes, a lodger should make minor accommodations to assist you in dealing with the problem and keeping her possessions safe. However, IMO "you must keep your door shut at all times" is not at all a normal expectation for a lodger. Having property damage as the consequence for forgetting is even more unusual/extreme. If (hypothetically) everyone keeping their doors shut were the rule for your household, it should have been stated up front, before you accepted the lodger...

All well and good except its the OP's bed, mattress, sheets, and duvet not the lodger's. The possessions being ruined belong to the OP. And the OP has already replaced a full set of bedding, twice (which also belongs to OP). The OP is asking for the lodger to take measures to protect the rented items - the bed and bedding are part of the rental.

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
...I'm addressing the general situation that A) your pet has started destroying your lodger's possessions and B) you want to require the lodger to keep her door shut to prevent a recurrence.

On the one hand, yes, a lodger should make minor accommodations to assist you in dealing with the problem and keeping her possessions safe. However, IMO "you must keep your door shut at all times" is not at all a normal expectation for a lodger. Having property damage as the consequence for forgetting is even more unusual/extreme. If (hypothetically) everyone keeping their doors shut were the rule for your household, it should have been stated up front, before you accepted the lodger...

All well and good except its the OP's bed, mattress, sheets, and duvet not the lodger's. The possessions being ruined belong to the OP. And the OP has already replaced a full set of bedding, twice (which also belongs to OP). The OP is asking for the lodger to take measures to protect the rented items - the bed and bedding are part of the rental.

OK, I was using "lodger's possessions" as shorthand to mean items designated for the lodger's use (e.g., bedding) and that the lodger is expected to take responsibility for if damaged, as well as the lodger's own items that the cat may destroy in the future. I doubt the cat is going to make the distinction between peeing on the OP's possessions designated for lodger use and peeing on the lodger's possessions (clothes, etc.).

However, going back to it being the OP's bed and bedding:
The OP's cat is destroying the OP's possessions--in general, that's the OP's problem and not the lodger's responsibility. The lodger pays to have a room and usable furnishings. The OP's cat is soiling these furnishings--again, the landlord/OP's responsibility to fix. I expect a reasonable lodger to realize that the OP is doing her best to resolve the problem and work with her. However, I also expect a reasonable landlord to realize that she's asking the lodger to change the terms of their agreement to fix the landlord's problem caused by the landlord's pet. In general, I think that such effort on the lodger's part deserves some offer of compensation.

If a lodger rents an item and damages it, then it's the lodger's responsibility to fix it. If they rent an item and the landlord damages it, it's the landlord's responsibility to fix it (since they've just deprived the lodger of the item they pay for). In this case, the landlord's pet damaged an item the lodger rents, thus it's the landlord's responsibility to fix.

In the OP's particular case, I think she's in the clear because she's been accommodating the lodger in other ways. In general, I think it's her responsibility to fix the problem herself (by finding a way to keep the cat out of the room without relying on the lodger closing the door) or to compensate the lodger for helping her to fix the problem.

As for keeping the door to her room closed? I think that's a perfectly reasonable request.
Unless the request is stated up front before move-in, I disagree. I've never lived in a place where I was required to keep my own bedroom door closed at all times. If my landlord had such a requirement, I'd expect to hear about it up front so I could make an informed decision, especially if forgetting would result in my room being damaged/soiled. If the landlord said up front, "My pet sometimes [chews things, scratches, pees on things, etc.], so you'd have to keep your door shut if you don't want to risk that," then that's a perfectly fine house rule. Springing it on someone after they move in is changing the terms and may require renegotiation of other rental terms.

In fact, actually, it's the *cat* who has made this a requirement--it's simply "how the world works" right now.
The cat's not the one who has a contract with the lodger, so the responsibility still falls on it's owner, i.e., the landlord/OP. The landlord/OP made the decision that "the world" of the household includes both the cat and the lodger, so the landlord/OP has to deal with the problems the cat's behavior causes.

Again, I think the OP's lodger sounds like a real pill and has already taken her own compensation by being so late with rent. But in general, I don't think the lodger is responsible for accommodating the cat's behavior. (And this is coming from someone who adores cats--trust me, I understand that their owners can't just change their behavior at will.)

4children

« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2013, 06:50:01 PM »
Pod onyx_tkd
I have cats and love them dearly. But if the landlord told me this upfront I would have never rented the room. After the fact would greatly upset me if I was told their cat's behavior was my resposibility.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2013, 07:17:33 PM »
The way I read it, the cat didn't start doing anything in the lodger's room until after the lodger started with some behaviors that got her set up as NOT getting to renew her lease (rental agreement, whatever the term is where this is happening).  So, it wasn't a rule in the beginning until the cat got upset with the lodger AFTER she'd lived there for a while.

What got the cat upset isn't known - as the cat isn't talking to anyone...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2013, 10:39:53 PM »
AngelicGamer, to be honest I think she expected me to beg her not to leave.  When she said she would have to leave if I didn't lower the rent, I immediately accepted her notice - it saved me having to tell her myself that I wanted her gone.  She then realised she had no hope of getting anywhere cheaper, tried to change her mind and had a stroppy when I told her no take-backs.  I live in a city where accommodation is very expensive and very hard to get, in 3 days of having my room advertised in just 2 places I'd had 160 odd responses!

xx

She sounds like a piece of work. And giving you attitude when she finally paid her overdue rent; that takes the cake. Glad to hear you're getting rid of her. She sounds like one of those people who is always out for what they can get, and always trying to manipulate others into giving them a deal. I guess it backfired on her this time.

Bailey101

« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 10:35:25 AM »
Afternoon everyone

Firstly, I'd like to say thank you to everyone for all their replies - I didn't think for a minute I'd get 4 pages worth!!

I understand where the people who say I've pulled a 'bait & switch' regarding the door being closed are coming from, however in my defense I think she did it first - She presented herself as being friendly and polite and mature, but in reality is none of these things.  Had she made it clear from the beginning that she would whine about the rent, invade my personal space, damage the home, make rude comments and ask inappropriate questions (and boy, has she asked some inappropriate things!!!) then I never would have had her move in.

I am 100% sure that Cat peed on her bed in response to the bad feeling she was causing at home and the attitude she keeps giving me - his whole demeanor is different when she's not here (she stays in another city over the weekends) and of the 5 or 6 other lodgers I've had, we've never had this issue.  Some he's been madly in love with, some he's barely tolerated, but never has he had a reaction like this to a lodger (the ex is a whole different kettle of fish lol).

And just for the record, I told the soon-to-be-new lodger exactly what's been going on, and she laughed and said her parent's cat was just the same (while Cat was lying on her feet, demanding his tummy rubbed!). 

Also, I'd just like to say that I think it's perfectly reasonable to have doors in a home that are kept closed, especially when there's pets.  I don't see it as any different to keeping the kitchen door shut or not leaving the pantry open.

There's also no issues at all with the cat using the litter tray - this wasn't a 'not using the tray' problem, it was a 'I hate you and this is the most obvious way I can show you' problem. 

He's a little monster sometimes, but I love him so much I can't stay mad for long  ::)

And thank you for explaining why bre eder got edited - I've never heard the term used like that before, but we have our own plethora of derogatory terms that mean the same here in the UK lol.

xx

AngelicGamer

« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2013, 02:01:41 PM »
Glad to hear about the soon to be lodger!  She sounds like a good one, especially if your cat is reacting like that.

As much as you know it is a "I'm mad at you" reaction, I'd still get your kitty checked out.  For me, it would just put my mind at ease as UTIs are nothing to sneeze at. 

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.