Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

Really??

<< < (2/4) > >>

NyaChan:
I think he was going for that style of joke where people say something obviously offensive, like the make me a sandwich jokes.

I think complete silence was a good way of dealing with him - he doesn't get the laugh he wants, you don't have to validate his words.

BeagleMommy:
Oh, I would have been so tempted to say "Well, I know of at least two women who don't want to listen to YOU any more.".

OP, you did great!

Twik:
Much as we don't like to admit it, it's enough of a meme that the Klondike Bar people used the concept in their ads ("What would you do for a Klondike Bar? This man listened to his wife for 10 whole seconds! Cue the cheers!")

Tashigi:

--- Quote from: esposita on October 10, 2013, 12:34:08 AM ---Ugh. The only thing I can think of is that he can't hold his liquor well, and meant to put the emphasis on "listen" but got mixed up...which is still highly offensive...but at least makes a little sense, maybe?

--- End quote ---

Sadly, I think he was very much sober while doing this. Even then, I don't tend to be charitable.

--- Quote from: NyaChan on October 10, 2013, 10:57:15 AM ---I think he was going for that style of joke where people say something obviously offensive, like the make me a sandwich jokes.

I think complete silence was a good way of dealing with him - he doesn't get the laugh he wants, you don't have to validate his words.

--- End quote ---

Exactly. I think he was going for audacity, like a little boy calling for attention. So I opted to treat him like a disagreeable little boy - by showing silent disapproval before promptly ignoring him.

lady_disdain:
"You were right. You shouldn't have said that. Excuse us." Flat tone of voice.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version