Author Topic: We don't want to play fetch.  (Read 7100 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: We don't want to play fetch.
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 06:21:35 PM »
How about collecting the wayward toys and garbage into the same bag and returning it all to them at once? It is all their stuff, after all.

Yes! I'd tell the kids "I'm busy right now but I'll gather up your stuff in a few hours and set it on my porch. Don't ring the bell again, if you check and it's not there I'm still busy." Then, if they don't take the garbage (or it comes back) next time I'd say "Sorry but you keep throwing trash over my fence so when I cleaned up my yard I assumed it was all trash and I threw it away. Be more careful."

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »
Is it legal to throw away other people's stuff when it lands on your property?  That should be the last resort but if all the other methods fail, I (for one) have no problem doing that if I have that right.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 07:49:20 PM »
I had a similar situation here a while back.  Neighbours that backed onto my place, two tweenie kids.  The difference is, they threw stuff over the fence deliberately - they were aiming at my dogs.  They were also witnessed starting the hose and spraying the dogs.  They'd stand on their trampoline, call the dogs over and then throw things at them.   >:(

I would throw the toys, shoes etc back - until it became blatantly obvious that the behaviour was deliberate.  Housemate went out a few times when I was at work and had words with them, and the behaviour actually accelerated.  To say I was annoyed was an understatement...

So I decided from then on that whatever landed in my yard was mine.  Nothing went back - not for this family anyway.  There are other kids in other houses that back onto my place (half acre, the longest side has around 6-7 houses along it) that are permitted on my property to retrieve lost items.  If it was something the dogs would play with, woohoo, new dog toy.

Guess what?  No more stuff ends up in my yard.

One very negative side effect of these brats was that one of my dogs became very child-aggressive to kids of the age of these two miscreants.  It has taken a lot of work to get her to behave around kids - all due to these kids thinking it was a great joke to torment her.

For anyone who wonders - the parents were nearly as bad as the kids.  Mum used to scream at my dogs to shut up - when they were in my house asleep.  I also saw her a few times bashing hard on the fence to stir them up.  Dad - well, if I ever saw him, it was on weekends screaming at his kids... 

I'm just glad the rest of my neighbours are wonderful!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Is it legal to throw away other people's stuff when it lands on your property?  That should be the last resort but if all the other methods fail, I (for one) have no problem doing that if I have that right.

It is. 
When my husband was a pre-teen his older brother made some young dirtbag mad at him.  The dirtbag used his transAm to dig deep trenches in the front yard of the house DH, his brother and their parents lived.  (He did this several times and DH's dad was house proud)  One time, the TransAm got stuck.  Because the car had no part within X distance of the edge of the property, the car became the property of DH's dad.  He was able to get a title on it and sell it. 

JoieGirl7

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 03:15:18 AM »
Why aren't you suing them in civil court?  You do have the right to peaceful enjoyment of your property.  You could make videos of what happens when the police come and what happens when they leave.  You take pictures of the litter in your yard.

And then you stop getting their toys for them at all.  If stuff comes over let the parent come over and ask for it.  Keep it until then and when the boys come banging on the door, tell them to stop it and go away.

There is no training people like this.  They don't care about you having peace and they don't care about their children disturbing you by banging on your door.

It is not retaliatory to keep their stuff.  You might be successful in bartering their toys for some peace and that would be great but I think you should just go to court and sue them.

Danika

• I'm not speeding. I'm qualifying.
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2013, 03:57:20 AM »
It is not retaliatory to keep their stuff.  You might be successful in bartering their toys for some peace and that would be great but I think you should just go to court and sue them.

I agree. We have a neighbor who used to let his dogs bark in his backyard constantly. I mean, 60-70% of the time, you heard barking. All day. And all night, midnight, 1am, 2am, etc. It was like being awakened by an alarm clock every 10 minutes. You couldn't get any sleep. And our babies couldn't sleep either - it's not like you can give infants and pets earplugs. I'm told this happened for the 15 years before we moved in. Some of the neighbors were scared of the dog owner so they didn't want to complain. Another neighbor and I called the cops repeatedly because of the noise. Of course, the police have better things to do than worry about noise but this was consant. So we videotaped the dogs' incessant barking. We had to complain to the police and animal control several times a week for 5 years with written statements and video. Finally, it went to court and they ordered the jerk to keep his dogs quiet. Now, they sit in his garage and bark incessantly, but at least we're far enough away that we can't hear them. It was worth all that work.

In your shoes, I would tell the boys "this is the very last time I'm giving anything back for you. Do not ring my bell again. Do not toss anything over again. And you have to clean up all your trash from my yard first to get your toy back. Next time you set foot on my property, I will consider it trespassing." And I would put up a "no trespassing sign." After that, I wouldn't answer the door. I very seriously would call the police and say that I had warned the people at the door not to trespass. And I would let the police deal with them. Every time.

Coley

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 08:02:46 AM »
Thanks, everyone,  for all the suggestions.

The music was cranked up yesterday by about 4 p.m. after the kids were home from school. The kids were out there screaming at each other. And by screaming, I mean actual screaming. It was constant screaming for an hour. That's when I left the house. Sometimes it's howling. They'll stand out there and howl at each other for hours. I had a work event last night. DH and I came home at almost 9 p.m., and the party was still in full swing next door. Music blasting, large group of people, the kids were still shrieking, dogs barking, etc., etc. They were out there well past 10 p.m. And (supposedly) there's school tomorrow. At least for DS there's school tomorrow.

DH and I have talked about our options. He said "take them to court" last night, so we're going to begin the process of gathering data to support a case. Really, we think it's either that or move. DH also is going to do some additional research on the noise ordinance, particularly weekday vs. weekend.

Where the kids and their toys are concerned, when they come to our door, I think we'll take JenJay's suggestion. We will tell them to come back later and look on the porch for their item. If it isn't there when they come back, that means we haven't had time to look for it yet, so don't ring the bell or knock again. Their items will be mixed into a bag with their trash. If it happens again, the toy(s) will go straight in the trash with their trash. If the parents don't like it, they'll have to talk to us about it.

I've never heard of a noise repellent machine until today, but I looked it up, and I'm intrigued.