Author Topic: Guest Couple's Objectionable Parenting Manners  (Read 11006 times)

BeagleMommy

Re: Guest Couple's Objectionable Parenting Manners
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »
Wow!  She was an absolute peach of a person wasn't she?!

I would not invite these people to your house again.  If your DH wants to be friendly withe the husband he can do so at work.

OP, I think I would have insisted she put a towel under her baby's backside if she insisted on using the carpet.  Otherwise, her choices would have been "take her into the bathroom" or "take her home".

wyliefool

« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »
"I don't believe in using a changing pad in other ppl's houses!"

"How nice for you. I do, and since it's my carpet you're proposing to cover w/ poop, my beliefs trump yours."

MrTango

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 12:55:29 PM »

"How nice for you. I do, and since it's my carpet you're proposing to cover w/ poop, my beliefs trump yours."

Or even better: "You can either use this towel as a changing pad or you can go outside and use the lawn."

wyliefool

« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 12:56:27 PM »

Or even better: "You can either use this towel as a changing pad or you can go outside and use the lawn."

Now that's really going 'back to nature'!  ;D

floridamom

« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »

Now that's really going 'back to nature'!  ;D

Love it! ;D   

Petticoats

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
The first time my jaw dropped was when she sat the baby on the table to eat. This seems really unhygienic to me.

Obnoxious, horrible woman all around. OP, you would have been well within your rights to set forth some boundaries, since this is your house after all. No sitting on top of the table. A cover will be used when breastfeeding, because "we're more comfortable that way. Here's a towel you can borrow." Diaper change? "I'd feel terrible if you had to pay an expensive cleaning bill for our carpet. Here's a towel."

I trust you're never inviting these people back!

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 02:19:52 PM »
Ugh. People like this woman are the reason that I got dirty looks when feeding my baby under a circus tent (covered from under my chin all the way to bebe's ankles). I'm a huge proponent of Bfing when possible, but stories like this make me roll my eyes and wish there was a way to get it through their thick skulls that they aren't doing lactation any favors.

Changing a baby on the floor? That doesn't bug me because it can be done without making any kind of a mess at all. However, once you asked her and she refused, she got up on the soapbox-of-inappropriateness and once again became a rude guest.

I'd not continue extending hospitality to people who use me to convince themselves that they are the most-awesome-parent-ever by doing things This. Way. and no other.

lowspark

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 02:35:37 PM »
Somehow on my first read-through of the OP I missed that she sat the baby on the table.

Settiing aside everything else she did, I find this the most egregious. It's a dangerous thing to do with an eight-month old, especially one who is fairly mobile*. What if the child had fallen or lept off the table. Yes, an eight-month old could not only easily do that, I'd actually expect it to happen. No way would I allow an infant (or anybody really) to sit atop my dining room table. So yeah, I'd probably be repeating the phrase "sorry, but in this house..." a bunch of times, followed by "we don't allow babies to sit on the dining room table", "we cover up when in mixed company", we protect the carpet when changing the baby" etc. Ugh at the whole sequence of events.

*My older son started walking free of support at eight months. And certainly many babies are definitely crawling by then. So it's not all that unusual for an eight-month old to be sitting up and very mobile.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 02:56:11 PM »
Hi E-Hellions!

She then expressed her disapproval of nursing covers, saying that she didn't think she should have to hide her natural functions away and discussed her participation in outings to breast feed in unusual spots (like churches, parliament, funerals, etc.) to 'de-stigmatize' breast feeding. After this announcement, she proceeded to whip a breast out at the dinner table. She repeated this 4 more times during the meal, and then multiples times afterwards during dessert.

So, I guess she doesn't believe in bathroom doors either?

Next time skip dessert, and grab their coats.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 03:27:00 PM »
Sitting the baby on the table would have gotten a firm, "no, that's not possible," from me.  Too dangerous, unsanitary and just plain stupid.  Same thing with changing the baby without a pad on my rug.  At some point after this nonsense, I would have stood up and said that they were obviously uncomfortable here with the baby, so I'll just get their things and see them to the door. 

LeveeWoman

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 03:38:57 PM »
I would've told her to get her child off my table. Then, I would've told her to leave the first time she whipped that thing out at the dinner table.

Allyson

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 03:45:55 PM »
For some reason, the thing that has me gritting my teeth the most is the fact she talked endlessly about breastfeeding, then snarked at you when you tried to participate in the conversation! So to her, the only acceptable conversation was her monologuing on the topic with everyone else just nodding agreement?

PeterM

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 05:13:35 PM »
She then expressed her disapproval of nursing covers, saying that she didn't think she should have to hide her natural functions away and discussed her participation in outings to breast feed in unusual spots (like churches, parliament, funerals, etc.)

Oh, heck, what's a couple more boobs in Parliament?

BAM!

But seriously, folks, I'm with whoever wondered about the funerals. It takes a special breed of jerk to hear about a gathering to honor the dead and think, "I'm totally gonna crash that to foist my beliefs upon the grieving attendees." It really is exactly the same motivation as the Westboro Baptist folks, and choosing to stand on the same side of pretty much any line with those people is rarely a good idea.

And they go to churches, too? Just ones they already attend? I'd find that ridiculous but not a huge deal. But if they attend unfamiliar services solely to whip out the ladies in public, they've got some serious problems.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 05:48:49 PM »
Everything about this woman sounds awful and gross.  And I can't stand the "natural function" argument because so is peeing, burping, farting, and many things you don't do in public (unless it's an accident.)  Yet witness a guy pee into the trees and the cops will be called.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »
My step sister just whipped the girls out at a Thanksgiving meal in front of relatives..no cover, nothing.  My dad and brother were so uncomfortable that all conversation ceased as everyone tried to focus on the turkey carcass.  I have absolutely no problem with BF'ing, but IMO, a cover is necessary when at a dinner with mixed company.  This woman would NEVER be allowed back again, simply because she is so darn self righteous about her ability to have a golden child, and no matter what you will say, she will counter it because you could never,ever produce and raise such a perfect specimen of a child as she has and because she has no concept of how she should act in someone's house.  Whipping out the girls, lecturing and scolding you, changing a diaper without a changing pad, child on dinner table, mad that you didn't make food that was not only palatable to adults but an 8 month old?  Yeah, she sounds like a peach!  How was the husband?  And how did your husband respond to this woman?