Author Topic: Your favorite Halloween Movies/TV Episodes  (Read 3000 times)

Curious Cat

Your favorite Halloween Movies/TV Episodes
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
I'm thinking about doing a Halloween themed Movie Marathon and was wondering what Halloween movies everyone liked best.   I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's favorites. I'm more into the lighter side of horror (not gore) but don't let that stop everyone from posting your favorites

I'm actually planning on doing mini marathons and watching these between now and the 31st.

Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Are You Afraid of the Dark? (I just found out Amazon has this for free with Prime!)
Arsenic and Old Lace
Garfield's Halloween Adventure
Halloweentown 1-4
Hocus Pocus
It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown!
Nightmare Before Christmas
Roseanne Halloween Episodes - probably not the last season though

When I was 5 Garfield's Halloween was the scariest thing in the world, so I'm wondering how it will be this time around.

Firecat

Re: Your favorite Halloween Movies/TV Episodes
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 01:33:12 PM »
The Disney animated "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" used to scare me a lot when I was a kid. For horror without gore, I like the original "The Mummy" with Boris Karloff and "Dracula" with Bela Lugosi.

I'm also fond of the "Poe" movies directed by Roger Corman and mostly starring Vincent Price. Some of these include: "The Masque of the Red Death," "The Pit and the Pendulum," "The Haunted Palace" (which is actually based on an HP Lovecraft story), and others. None of these have a lot of gore, and if you like a bit of comedy, "The Raven" and "The Comedy of Terrors" are fun - they also have Boris Karloff and Peter Lorre, and Basil Rathbone is also in "Comedy of Terrors."

Jones

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 01:40:14 PM »
We always used to watch "The Black Cauldron" on Halloween. I don't know if that counts but we had a good time with it.

Note to self...go dig through the DVDs before end of month so I can intro this tradition to my kids...

pinkflamingo

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »
I'm more into the lighter side of horror (not gore) but don't let that stop everyone from posting your favorites

I'm with you. Although I don't get scared, I just think it's gross. I'm more likely to be frightened by psychological thrillers, so scary viewing for me would be "Gaslight" and "Wait Until Dark."

I recently saw "Paranorman", which I wasn't expecting to like, but it's cute.

This Halloween, I'll be watching the various candy-themed episodes of "Chopped." Gummy tarantulas FTW!

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »
Anything by Hitchcock; esp The Birds, Psycho, etc. And anything creepy, but not gory. Blood and guts don't scare me; but the unkown etc. do.

Firecat

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
"The Others" (with Nicole Kidman) is another one that's good for scares without gore.

Petticoats

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 02:12:04 PM »
I'm with you. Although I don't get scared, I just think it's gross. I'm more likely to be frightened by psychological thrillers, so scary viewing for me would be "Gaslight" and "Wait Until Dark."

Ooh, Wait Until Dark is incredibly tense. One year that was Halloween viewing for a college friend and me. And Gaslight's a favorite.

There are some older spooky classics that I love, like The Uninvited, The Innocents, and I Walked With a Zombie. I also give a big thumbs-up to The Others, as well as The Awakening (as much about loneliness as it is about ghosts, but a cracking good ghost movie too), The Eclipse with Ciaran Hinds--there is one brief gory shot, but it's not actual violence, just the aftermath. The Orphanage and The Devil's Backbone are excellent but do have a leetle visual ick, more so in TDB. The 1960s version of The Haunting is good (although not as good as the book it's based on, Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House).

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 02:15:07 PM »
For kids:
  • Alvin and the Chipmunks Meet the Wolfman
  • Hocus Pocus
  • Hotel Transylvania
  • Itís the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
  • Momís Got a Date with a Vampire
  • Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Scooby Ė Doo on Zombie Island
  • Universal monster movies (Creature from the Black Lagoon, Dracula, etc.)

For teens and adults:
  • Beetlejuice
  • Cat People or anything else produced by Val Lewton - the man was a genius
  • The Conjuring, when it comes out - I saw that movie in theaters 3 times, and I've never seen anything in theaters that many times. However, it's rated R because it is genuinely that scary. It's not particularly gory that I can recall, but it is nearly 2 hours of sheer terror.
  • Dead of Night, which is playing on TCM tomorrow night. The story begins when a man visits a home, only to realize he's been there before...in the nightmare he had last night.
  • Freaks - not for the faint of heart, but a very powerful movie
  • Hitchcock films, esp. The Birds and Psycho
  • Night of the Hunter - Robert Mitchum plays the creepiest con - man ever written for film
  • Nosferatu - and if you like that, go watch Shadow of a Vampire. It's a what - if and behind the scenes of Nosferatu all in one, and has great performances all around.
  • All Stephen King adaptations
  • The Vanishing - a little - known horror film with an end that will make your sleep very uneasy for a while
  • Vincent Price Edgar Allan Poe adaptations - The Raven is unabashedly a horror/comedy with Peter Lorre and will have you screaming with laughter

I also POD the other stuff posted above me. :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:15:57 PM by violinp »
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

Betelnut

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
I think of Nightmare before Christmas as a Christmas movie not a Halloween movie.  After all, it is a celebration of the wonder of Christmas albeit in a creepy way.  One of my favorites, either way.

YMMV
Native Texan, Marylander currently

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 02:22:32 PM »
I think of Nightmare before Christmas as a Christmas movie not a Halloween movie.  After all, it is a celebration of the wonder of Christmas albeit in a creepy way.  One of my favorites, either way.

YMMV

I use it for both, which is probably cheating, but oh well. :P
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

BeagleMommy

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 02:45:54 PM »
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is my all-time favorite.

DH loved a cartoon adaptation of a Ray Bradbury book called "The Halloween Tree".  It was only aired once (I think it gave kids nightmares).  The story is four friends out on Halloween and a 5th friend home with appendicitis.  Kids learn the ancient history behind their Halloween costumes and then the narrator (voiced by Leonard Nimoy) tells them to save their friend they must each give up one year of their lives or he dies.

He found it on Amazon on DVD this year.

Firecat

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 03:13:29 PM »

DH loved a cartoon adaptation of a Ray Bradbury book called "The Halloween Tree".  It was only aired once (I think it gave kids nightmares).  The story is four friends out on Halloween and a 5th friend home with appendicitis.  Kids learn the ancient history behind their Halloween costumes and then the narrator (voiced by Leonard Nimoy) tells them to save their friend they must each give up one year of their lives or he dies.

My favorite line from that one is "You didn't TELL me you were gonna KILL it!" Makes me LOL every time.

lowspark

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 03:19:11 PM »
"The Others" (with Nicole Kidman) is another one that's good for scares without gore.

That's a good one with a good twist at the end. Another good one with a good twist is The Skeleton Key with Kate Hudson.

Petticoats

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 03:30:34 PM »

I remember this, and I also remember seeing a live stage adaptation when I was a kid. Really cool stuff.

Heartily seconding violinp's suggestions of Dead of Night, Night of the Hunter, and The Conjuring. And if you like old-school suspense without actual supernatural elements, I highly recommend Phantom Lady, Corridor of Mirrors, and Hitchcock's Rebecca. There was also a fairly recent BBC adaptation of the story "Oh Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad" that was deeply evocative and creepy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whistle_and_I'll_Come_to_You

All of the recent BBC M.R. James ghost stories that I've seen are good.

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 03:38:11 PM »
For me Halloween means watching Vincent Price movies. They are the absolute best ever, imo.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!