Author Topic: Your favorite Halloween Movies/TV Episodes  (Read 2975 times)

Petticoats

Re: Your favorite Halloween Movies/TV Episodes
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 03:56:49 PM »
For me Halloween means watching Vincent Price movies. They are the absolute best ever, imo.

Ooh, that reminds me: Dragonwyck and House of the Seven Gables! Gothic goodness with Vincet. *contented sigh*

Also, I can't believe I forgot the wonderful Peter Lorre curiosity Mad Love. Colin Clive (who played Frankenstein) is a sensitive pianist who loses his hands in a terrible accident. His doe-eyed wife gets grotesque surgeon Lorre (who has a crush on her) to come up with an unorthodox solution. Some of the visuals are wonderfully dramatic and even over-the-top.

SplishFish

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »
Don't know if these fit what you're looking for, but I like:

Shaun of the Dead - has some gore and swearing, but comedy gold
Young Frankenstein  - the doctor and the monster singing "Putting on the Ritz" makes me collapse into a giggling puddle

Speaking of "doctor" ... Doctor Who would probably fit the bill. For creepy, I recommend "Blink" and "Midnight".

Quite a few Mystery Science Theater 3000 episodes would work well, too. "The Final Sacrafice" is great.

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 10:35:39 PM »
"Witch's Night Out" with Gilda Radner voicing the witch.

"It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown"

movies for Halloween:

The Raven
Comedy of Terrors "What place is this?"  "He is not dead, but sleeping"
Young Frankenstein
Lake of Dracula (japanese horror film)
Blood Orgy of the She Devils (many of the villagers in a scene set in the 1500s are wearing bell bottoms)

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 11:17:59 PM »
I'm a total Christopher Lee fangirl, so I devote Halloween to his movies. I'll watch a couple of Dracula movies, then end it off with The Wicker Man. The ending scene with everyone standing around singing is just the ultimate in creepy juxtaposition to me.

Firecat

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
I'm a total Christopher Lee fangirl, so I devote Halloween to his movies. I'll watch a couple of Dracula movies, then end it off with The Wicker Man. The ending scene with everyone standing around singing is just the ultimate in creepy juxtaposition to me.

The Wicker Man is wonderfully creepy. The ending freaks me out every time.

Petticoats

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 11:06:02 AM »
Criterion is giving The Uninvited its stellar treatment! http://www.criterion.com/films/27964-the-uninvited

staceym

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 11:18:27 AM »
my favorites are the old stand by's

Halloween (Jamie Lee Curtis version)
and
Nightmare on Elm Street

I typically can't enjoy watching them on Halloween night because my niece comes up to trick or treat and I give out candy..(our trick or treating is always on the 31st).

but last year due to snow they rescheduled Halloween for the following Saturday - I was "yay" I can get all comfy cozy and watch some scary movies on Halloween night - I have, I don't know how many channels and not one of them was playing a good movie.

One channel played the newish remake of Halloween so I decided to watch that - lasted 15 minutes maybe - wow, what a horrible, horrible movie.

Betelnut

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 12:21:49 PM »
Phantom of the Opera--the silent version with Lon Chaney, shown at a cathedral with pipe organs playing the soundtrack.  I've seen it twice this way and it is so great!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Yarnspinner

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 12:42:51 PM »
Criterion is giving The Uninvited its stellar treatment! http://www.criterion.com/films/27964-the-uninvited

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I love love LOVE this movie!  Chills, romance and just right amount of humor mixed in.  Will be heading over to amazon to buy it soon.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »
And now I have to include my favorites:

The Haunting *which might be DVRing as we speak--Julie Harris and Claire Bloom, accept NO substitutions (I am looking at YOU, Disney)
The Curse of the Demon (based on M.R. James "Casting the Runes".  Probably the best "updated" version, even if it was 1960) all key'd up to be DVr'd.
The Changeling (George C. Scott as haunted concert pianist...I will NEVER look at a ball rolling out of the darkness the same way again)
The whole Val Lewton spectrum, but especially "I Walked with a Zombie"  (which some claim is Jane Eyre updated) and--name escapes me, but might be "Island of the Damned"--Boris Karloff and zombies.  What could be better?
Dead of Night (it's all good, but Sir Michael and the Dummy give me goosebumps every time.)
Sleepy Hollow (Johnny Depp's terrified but ultimately brave Ichabod Crane just makes the film--even if it has nothing to do with the original)
And I add a hearty second to "The Conjuring" and "The Others"
Both of those caused three of us to jump out of our skin at the same time.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 12:56:38 PM »
"The Others" (with Nicole Kidman) is another one that's good for scares without gore.

Yes it is.

Acadianna

• Remember -- no matter where you go, there you are.
    • My Dragons
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 05:33:17 PM »

Thank you!!!!!!!!!  This is one of my favorite movies, and I was about to recommend The Uninvited here -- with the caveat that it wasn't available on DVD and the VHS can be hard to find.  I do have it on VHS, but I usually find it on one of the cable stations like Turner Classic Movies.

Other movies on my annual Halloween marathon are Arsenic and Old Lace, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, Thirteen Ghosts (the original, not the remake), and the old Bob Hope movie Ghostbreakers.

Pie Fight

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 07:49:04 PM »
The Disney animated "Legend of Sleepy Hollow" used to scare me a lot when I was a kid.
Me too! I used to watch it every year after trick-or-treating, and by the end I'd be hiding under a blanket. Never did learn to like scary movies.   :)

My recommendation is Spaced Invaders, which is B-movie bad and isn't scary at all, but it takes place on Halloween. Martians hear a small-town radio broadcast of "War of the Worlds" and think they are supposed to be invading Earth. They're mistaken for trick-or-treaters, and hijinks ensue.

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2013, 01:25:48 AM »
And now I have to include my favorites:

The Haunting *which might be DVRing as we speak--Julie Harris and Claire Bloom, accept NO substitutions (I am looking at YOU, Disney)
The Curse of the Demon (based on M.R. James "Casting the Runes".  Probably the best "updated" version, even if it was 1960) all key'd up to be DVr'd.
The Changeling (George C. Scott as haunted concert pianist...I will NEVER look at a ball rolling out of the darkness the same way again)
The whole Val Lewton spectrum, but especially "I Walked with a Zombie"  (which some claim is Jane Eyre updated) and--name escapes me, but might be "Island of the Damned"--Boris Karloff and zombies.  What could be better?
Dead of Night (it's all good, but Sir Michael and the Dummy give me goosebumps every time.)
Sleepy Hollow (Johnny Depp's terrified but ultimately brave Ichabod Crane just makes the film--even if it has nothing to do with the original)
And I add a hearty second to "The Conjuring" and "The Others"
Both of those caused three of us to jump out of our skin at the same time.

It's Isle of the Dead.  :) He was also in The Body Snatcher, which is another great one by Val Lewton.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

andi

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 10:05:05 AM »
For kids there's an animated one about a square pumpkin - I can't remember the name of it.