Author Topic: Your favorite Halloween Movies/TV Episodes  (Read 3363 times)

Morty'sCleaningLady

Re: Your favorite Halloween Movies/TV Episodes
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
Nothing scarier than the Good Witch movies on Hallmark and occasionally Hocus Pocus -- if it's daytime.  I don't do scary!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Betelnut

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2013, 10:45:35 AM »
Since A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite all time holiday stories, I really loved the Halloween episode of Roseanne when Roseanne has lost the "spirit of Halloween" and is visited by three spirits to help her get her Halloween mojo back.  As I recall, the third spirit shows her that she has turned into her mother.  That was enough for her to get back into the spirit!
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Bethczar

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2013, 06:26:14 PM »
We generally watch the Johnny Depp version of Sleepy Hollow. It's spooky, but not really scary. I also like the Halloween episode of Dead Like Me.

Nothing beats Charlie Brown, though.

HoneyBee42

« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2013, 08:13:46 PM »
I Know Who You Are, and I Saw What You Did (1965)

I also favor Hitchcock movies like Rope, Rear Window, and other such suspense movies, including  Wait Until Dark (not Hitchcock, just excellent suspense).

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2013, 08:39:33 PM »
High Spirits is one of my favorites. For those who've never heard of it. Peter O'Toole is Peter Plunkett, who owns a castle in Ireland that's in danger of foreclosure. He decides to claim that the place is haunted to bring in tourists. But the place really is haunted, you see. So when the fake ghosts are a complete flop, the real ones step in on All Hallows' Eve...
It is a terribly goofy movie. My favorite scene involves a whistling fish.

Also full of great quotes-
Mrs. Plunkett: Good morning, darling!
Plunkett Senior: Good morning dear! Well, our son is an idiot!
Mrs. Plunkett: We've known that for years, haven't we, darling?
Plunkett Senior: Well, this time he has surpassed himself. The ghosts are furious!
Mrs. Plunkett: Why?
Plunkett Senior: Well, they've heard that that Jim Brogan fellow is going to move the castle to Malibu!
Mrs. Plunkett: Oh, how nice! All that sunshine and all those movie stars!
Plunkett Senior: No respectable ghost would live in California!

(ETA - Mrs. Plunkett is alive and elderly. Plunkett Senior is actually dead and looks to be in late-middle age. At this point in the movie she's the only live person in the castle who sees ghosts.)

Miranda: So, I was seeing this guy and he's a devil worshiper, right? Well, he's a hairdresser really, but he devil-worships on the side. And we booked this dumb tour because, you know, he likes ghosts, dead gerbils, that kind of thing... and he ran off with this Bhuddist monk! I mean, how I was supposed to know he was gay? So what about you, are you gay too?

Also, Liam Neeson repeatedly murders Daryl Hannah...which is a terrible bore for them both.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 01:42:09 PM by Moralia »

Petticoats

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2013, 11:47:22 PM »
Criterion is giving The Uninvited its stellar treatment! http://www.criterion.com/films/27964-the-uninvited

Thank you!!!!!!!!!  This is one of my favorite movies, and I was about to recommend The Uninvited here -- with the caveat that it wasn't available on DVD and the VHS can be hard to find.  I do have it on VHS, but I usually find it on one of the cable stations like Turner Classic Movies.

Other movies on my annual Halloween marathon are Arsenic and Old Lace, The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, Thirteen Ghosts (the original, not the remake), and the old Bob Hope movie Ghostbreakers.

How cool to find another fan of that movie! And I'm glad to meet some fellow fans of The Uninvited.

For a really lighthearted seasonal bit of fun, I just found out that I Married a Witch with Veronica Lake has just gotten a DVD release.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2013, 01:35:17 AM »
It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown is my all-time favorite.

DH loved a cartoon adaptation of a Ray Bradbury book called "The Halloween Tree".  It was only aired once (I think it gave kids nightmares).  The story is four friends out on Halloween and a 5th friend home with appendicitis.  Kids learn the ancient history behind their Halloween costumes and then the narrator (voiced by Leonard Nimoy) tells them to save their friend they must each give up one year of their lives or he dies.

He found it on Amazon on DVD this year.

I loved that movie... and the fifth kid's name was Pip. :)

Cherry91

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2013, 05:43:21 AM »
For a "scarier" horror film (in quotations because it's often subjective) my favourite is "Trick r Treat", a horror film anthology where all the stories are set in the same town on the same night. Very visually interesting and with some good twists in the tales!

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »
How about 'Men in Black' or 'Creepshow'?

Nikko-chan

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 09:09:34 PM »
Nothing scarier than the Good Witch movies on Hallmark and occasionally Hocus Pocus -- if it's daytime.  I don't do scary!

The Good Witch ones weren't scary, at least not to me, because it was more logic than her being a witch I guess? And Hocus Pocus is always a favorite, a bit creepy, a bit fun.  *realizes she hasn't seen hocus pocus this year* Well, I have to fix that soon...

Firecat

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 09:14:08 PM »

The Good Witch ones weren't scary, at least not to me, because it was more logic than her being a witch I guess? And Hocus Pocus is always a favorite, a bit creepy, a bit fun.  *realizes she hasn't seen hocus pocus this year* Well, I have to fix that soon...

Hocus Pocus is fun. "Amok! Amok! Amok!"

Library Dragon

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »
I'm a total Christopher Lee fangirl, so I devote Halloween to his movies. I'll watch a couple of Dracula movies, then end it off with The Wicker Man. The ending scene with everyone standing around singing is just the ultimate in creepy juxtaposition to me.

The Wicker Man is wonderfully creepy. The ending freaks me out every time.

This is the best creepy movie!

Add the original The Haunting, Vincent Price movies, and Disney's Legend of Sleepy Hollow and I'm happy.  Skeleton Key is pretty good too.

I used to watch the cheeseastic horror films on weekend TV. I stopped when they just became gross. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

zyrs

• spiffily male.
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2013, 01:25:24 AM »
I had nearly forgotten this wonderful Halloween story, but this thread reminded me of it;

TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE ("Trick or Treat")