Author Topic: S/O whats for dinner : How can I use this up ?  (Read 1247 times)

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
Re: S/O whats for dinner : How can I use this up ?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 02:56:39 PM »
Just a tip for roasting pork loin (everyone probably already knows this, but just in case) when you put it in the oven or crock pot, put the fat side up so the goodness ends up in dinner rather than in the bottom of the pan.

MizA

• Every day is the best day ever.
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 03:12:06 PM »
I love the what's for dinner thread - I get great lunch and dinner ideas there.  Thanks !

I have some things in my freezer that are getting near the use by date and I just do not know what to do with them.  So I thought a thread where we post our "problem children" and let some of the creative folks give ideas...

PorK Loin Roast - about 3 lbs.  I bought a big roast from BJ's and split it in two.  The first I cooked in the crockpot using a recipe from Cook's illustrated.  It was so o o o dry and tough.  I am sure a pork loin is not a good candidate for a crockpot with the lack of marbling.

Someone tell me how to cook this thing ? It looks like it should be delicious .. but I know I have the very real potential to turn it into gray shoe leather.  I like any type of food, we can grill it, chop it up, etc....

Thanks

Cut it in half lengthwish, stuff it with herbs, and wrap it in bacon to roast it as a roast. Make sure to baste it with the drippings regularly. Yum yum yum.
)'( The world would rather hug you than hurt you )'(

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 03:27:01 PM »
You can use it for a pork goulash. 

Depending on how much meat you have, sautee onions and plenty of garlic in a fry pan or pot.  Remove and reserve.

Cut the meat into small chunks and brown with oil.   

Return the onions and garlic to the pan.

Add paprika, oregano and a small can or two of tomato sauce. 

Add a can or two of mushroom stems and pieces with the liquid. 

Cook on low until the meat is becoming tender.

Add a small can or two of sauerkraut with the liquid. 

Continue cooking on low until the house smells great and the meat is tender.

When ready to serve dinner, scoop out the amount that will be eaten. 

Stir sour cream into this portion and set the rest aside for the freezer. 

Serve the goulash with sour cream over buttered noodles with a side salad. 

BTW, this recipe is perfect for this time of year because it's an adaptation from 'The Annotated Dracula'.     

gingerzing

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 03:37:51 PM »
Lean pork (tenderloin and really lean center loin roasts) really do not work well in the slow cooker without some liquid.  Shoulder and Sirloin pork roast work better in the slow cooker because they are more marbled.

For a basic oven roast, rub with a little olive oil and some spices (I like a pepper blend and some rosemary)  roast in an open pan at 350F for about 20 minutes per pound.  Use a meat thermometer and remove from the oven when the roast hits about 145F and the real trick is to let it rest for 5-10 minutes (I cover loosely with foil) before slicing.  The rest allows the juices to redistribute. 

Sliced up, makes great stir-fry or good fajitas, cubed can be kabobs or in a stew,
Could cube or slice and sauté then put in a prepackaged rice mix or in with pasta and some white sauce and mixed veggies? 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 10:24:20 PM »
About once a month, I buy a whole pork loin from Sam's club. I part it into one roast, 12 1/2" chops, then use the rest for very thin chops or medallions, stew meat or stir-fry. We freeze half of the chops and the small pieces. I sear the roast over medium heat with olive oil and butter. Once it is nice and brown all the way around, it goes in a medium oven (325 F) for an hour and a half. I always add some root vegetables and water to the pan before putting it in the oven. Delicious served with mashed potatoes, buttered noodles or whatever you have.

I also make an amazing pork chili.