Author Topic: S/O Damage .. this time done by adult  (Read 3733 times)

MrTango

Re: S/O Damage .. this time done by adult
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 02:35:25 PM »
It sounds to me as if she's trying to reassure you that she doesn't think you were responsible for the incident and that she's gald you were there to stop her before she cut into a potentially live electrical wire.

floridamom

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
Personally, I am just shocked at the inability to tell the difference between a root and an electrical wire!  I have done a lot of gardening in my time, and have dug up a lot of roots and a lot of underground wires/cables, and have never had any trouble telling the difference between the two!

My thoughts exactly.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 03:06:54 PM »
It sounds to me as if she's trying to reassure you that she doesn't think you were responsible for the incident and that she's gald you were there to stop her before she cut into a potentially live electrical wire.

I agree. unless her tone was really off I can't even find the slight you are reading into her words. She sounds to me like she absolutely wasn't hinting at anything and totally agrees you were not at fault, and was in fact trying to reassure you.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »

I agree. unless her tone was really off I can't even find the slight you are reading into her words. She sounds to me like she absolutely wasn't hinting at anything and totally agrees you were not at fault, and was in fact trying to reassure you.

That's what I think too. She was maybe a little awkward about it, but I definitely think she was trying to soothe you.

Is she close enough to you, a good enough friend, that she knows your tendency to blame yourself for things? Maybe she's trying really hard in any way she can to pre-emptively tell you to please not in any way blame yourself.   :) :)

jmarvellous

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 03:26:58 PM »
I don't read anything in the first post or followup about the neighbor wanting the OP to pay for the wire.
Nor can I figure out why she might have wanted that!

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 03:51:20 PM »
Her comments about the Judge Judy case doesn't sound like a dig.  In fact, it sound like she agree it was an accident and outraged there's blame and a lawsuit in the first place.

Klea

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 04:16:48 PM »
POD others saying that unless her tone was strange, it really does seem as if she was trying to reassure you that she does not blame you for it nor expect you to pay. Perhaps she was nervous (and embarrassed) by the situation and didn't know how to let you know? She was probably trying to casually slip it in by relating it back to the TV show and it ended up coming across as a bit odd and awkward.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »
No way are you responsible.  She's not a four year old that you were supposed to be supervising, lest she cut her own toe off.  She could have looked at it and called you over for consultation, instead of choosing to cut. 

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2013, 05:38:12 PM »
I am inclined to disagree with the others in that it does sound very much like she was hinting for you to offer to help pay, by finding roundabout ways to bring it up. The OP never brought up payng, so why did this neighbour go out of her way to bring it up using this TV show as a loosely linked opening? She seems to be wanting the subject of payment to be in the OP's mind, though she won't actually say, "So are you going to help pay?"

(I think the OP is in NO way responsible for paying).

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
To me it sounds like she was frustrated with the case on TV, why are these two idiots bugging Judge Judy about this, it was an accident, accidents happen you suck it up and pay for it. Then used what happened with the two of you to elaborate on her position, as in she isn't dragging you to court just because you were there, her property her problem. The show just happened to be on when you happened over.

As for talking about the light being fixed, something was broken in her home and she told she was going to fix it, she got it fixed and was showing you "Oh look, it's been fixed!". I'd do something similar if say a friend had been over and my garbage disposal had broken, the next time they were over I might turn it on to say "Look it's fixed!" even if they had zero to do with it breaking in the first place.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2013, 07:56:51 PM »
Try to stop worrying about it.  I'm like you and also feel guilty about things not my fault and it really annoys the other person sometimes because they have already move on :-[.  I can also see myself reading into things that's not there when all she's doing is just yelling at the Judge Judy show like many (many!) people do.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2013, 08:59:52 PM »
I am inclined to disagree with the others in that it does sound very much like she was hinting for you to offer to help pay, by finding roundabout ways to bring it up. The OP never brought up payng, so why did this neighbour go out of her way to bring it up using this TV show as a loosely linked opening? She seems to be wanting the subject of payment to be in the OP's mind, though she won't actually say, "So are you going to help pay?"

(I think the OP is in NO way responsible for paying).

I kind of thought that too.  The OP never brought up paying for the damage.  The neighbor brought it up twice.  "I'm the owner so I should pay for it."   ???  "Just because I asked you to help me doesn't mean you should pay for it."   :-\  Nope.  It certainly doesn't. 

In any case, OP, you absolutely positively do NOT have any reason in the world to pay for the damage she did to her own improperly installed wiring.  She should be grateful to you for stopping her before she got electrocuted or some other really bad thing happened.  If I were you I wouldn't give this another thought. 

I hope the other people here are right and that she really was just trying to reassure you that she understands that what happened was entirely her own doing and that of course any expenses involved in rectifying the situation were hers and hers alone. 

Surianne

• Super Hero!
    • Prince ShimmerShine Moondream's Blogging Adventure
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 09:12:18 PM »

I agree as well, it doesn't sound like she had any plan to ask you to pay for it.  Rather, she's trying to reassure you that she understands it was her own screw-up.  She's probably a little embarrassed by how silly her mistake is, as well, which might make her seem more awkward than usual.

Sounds to me like everything is fine on all sides. 

Stormtreader

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
Im not so sure its all innocent, she keeps saying she'll pay for it because shes the owner. No, youre paying for it because it was you that did it!

Aunt4God

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 04:35:31 PM »
For those of you saying you think she was trying to guilt trip the OP, how could she have done that?  You're saying that she 1) found that specific episode of Judge Judy 2) had a copy of that episode to play on her tv and 3) timed the playing of said episode to occur at the same random time that OP showed up? (assuming that it would have to be correctly cued to the right time of episode)  Did she even know when OP would be coming over, or was it just that the OP was dropping by when she was able?  You're really giving her a lot of credit for setting that all up just to get a dig in about the OP offering to pay. 

OP, I think you're reading a little too much into it.  Just take it at face value as your neighbor bears no ill-will towards you for what happened and move on in life.  Second-guessing things like that will not help you in life, and may lead you to accidentally damaging a relationship that you don't want to do that to.