Author Topic: Am I supposed to tip for carry out?  (Read 3676 times)

veronaz

Re: Am I supposed to tip for carry out?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 10:24:22 AM »
someone at the restaurant bags the food correctly, includes all the napkins, utensils, sauces, etc.,

But every job requires some kind of job duty. When I was a cashier in a drugstore, I had to ring up the sales correctly, be polite and friendly to customers no matter how they treated me, put the items in a bag, etc etc. Nobody tipped me, nor did I expect them to. It was what I was hired to do. And while I realize that in some places, servers get less than minimum wage, that is not the case here and we still have to tip them.

ExactlyÖ..itís the job they were hired to do.  Tipping someone for bagging things correctly and including napkins, utensils, and condiments?  Um, no.

And no, we donít have to tip them.  As far as their wages, customers donít establish worker wages.  Maybe owners/management should consider paying their workers more.

MrTango

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 10:46:23 AM »
The tip is for the server or delivery driver.  I've never tipped for carry-out.

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 10:59:25 AM »
No tip for carry-out. And yes, I always feel like a greedy jerk when I cross out that space.  But hey, it's not a service I feel I should tip for.  I'm picking it up. Yes, they packed it for me but that's what they are supposed to do.  That's their job.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2013, 11:20:20 AM »
  IT depends on the place for the delivery/carry out only type places I dont tip.  At sit-down restaurants I normally tip(but normally around $2 because they are providing a lot less service )  unless its a 10 second reach into cooler type thing  then I may not tip.

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2013, 08:58:07 PM »
I tip 10% for take out.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2013, 03:44:27 PM »
someone at the restaurant bags the food correctly, includes all the napkins, utensils, sauces, etc.,

But every job requires some kind of job duty. When I was a cashier in a drugstore, I had to ring up the sales correctly, be polite and friendly to customers no matter how they treated me, put the items in a bag, etc etc. Nobody tipped me, nor did I expect them to. It was what I was hired to do. And while I realize that in some places, servers get less than minimum wage, that is not the case here and we still have to tip them.

In a sense, I agree with this. To my mind, it's the job of the servers to serve food in a pleasant and professional manner. If one does so, why should they be tipped? Tipping should be saved for something extraordinary. At least, that's one way to think of it, and if I followed that, I would almost never tip, and in my culture I would then be in the minority, and people might even feel I was being rude. I think this is one reason why tipping threads can become so heated--on the one hand people say, "We shouldn't have to tip people for doing their jobs," and on the other hand people say, "But they don't actually get paid fully by the restaurant for doing their jobs, it's assumed customers will tip them." And of course the payment structure varies significantly by the restaurant, industry, and even geographic location within the same country, let alone other countries.

I think, if there is a general culture of tipping, but you aren't sure about a specific instance, giving a small tip would err on the side of caution, especially in the moment. In a larger sense, it helps me to think about what duties I would be tipping for, if I tipped.

For example, one casual restaurant I go to has a tip jar on the counter. You order at the counter, pick your food up at the counter, and clear your own table at the end (though it's not fast food like McDonald's). I thought, what extra labor, besides taking my order and making it correctly, and general cleaning and maintenance of the restaurant, are the employees doing for me, that I should tip them? (Asked seriously, not in a snarky way.) I couldn't think of any, so I've decided not to tip when I eat there. (Besides which, the tip would occur almost before they'd done anything for me at all--so how would I even know if the service was worth it?)

Previously, I never tipped on carry-out because I didn't think much work went into it, but those here who've worked in food service described some work that can occur in some instances, which I'd never thought about. Now, I usually tip a small amount for carry-out (unless as I said it's just one small item). That's just what I choose to do, because I prefer to err on the side of caution, and I have neither the resources nor the interest to figure out the payment structure of each restaurant I eat at so I could tailor my response to each. Other people have different ways of doing things--to me that's the issue at the heart of tipping, because it's almost entirely voluntary (except for "parties of 10 or more will be automatically charged 20% gratuity" and other such restaurant policies). Personally I think it's interesting to know what thought processes other people go through when making their decisions. :)
~Lynn2000

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 05:27:20 PM »
On the very rare occasion I get take out, I usually round to the nearest dollar amount and add $1.  If I've ordered something that has some artistry in the display, like some of the sushi trays I've ordered out, I might increase the tip by another dollar or two.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

veronaz

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 05:42:09 PM »
Question for those who DO tip take out:

Do you also tip at fast food counters and drive thrus (McDonalds, Wendys, etc.)?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:55:00 PM by veronaz »

CrazyDaffodilLady

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2013, 06:05:07 PM »

Do you also tip at fast food counters and drive thrus (McDonalds, Wendys, etc.)?
No, but I feel obligated to tip at the Starbuck's drive-through and at Sonic (I hardly ever go there because it ticks me off so badly to have to tip someone who carried my food 20 feet).

I hate the whole tipping system.  It must be very beneficial to the restaurant business; otherwise some places would implement a "no tipping" policy, which I think would please customers, even if the food cost 20% more because of it. 
It takes two people to play tug of war. If you don't want to play, don't pick up the rope.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2013, 06:38:28 PM »

No. They don't seem to have a tipping culture, as far as I've noticed--I don't think I've ever seen a tip jar on their counters, for example.

As CrazyDaffodilLady mentions, though, coffee shops seem to be a bit different, in terms of having a tipping culture. If I'm getting a "fancy drink" at a coffee shop (walk in) I usually drop some coins into the tip jar, like the change from the cash I've paid with. On the Starbucks drive-thru I'm not generally the one either driving or paying; I don't think anyone I've been with has ever tipped in that situation, though I've seen a tip jar sitting there on the shelf.

If the point is, how are their duties different from getting carryout at a pizza place, I agree that it's all become rather a muddle. I do find tipping to be very illogically applied--it kind of boggles my mind that it would be part of one's business plan (the restaurant manager's) to count on 100% voluntary donations in variable amounts from customers who are already paying for the main service. But, that's the way the society has developed. And, the tip jars that pop up in all kinds of places--I think I saw one on the counter at a local grocery store the other day--only muddy the situation further. I certainly don't blame anyone for being confused about when it's "generally accepted" to tip--even threads on eHell show such a wide range of opinions on the subject.
~Lynn2000

delabela

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »

No.  Those places are arranged to provide carry out food, and people are not using time that would otherwise go to tipping customers for my order.  The restaurants I usually get takeaway from tend to be local places where there is no staff dedicated to takeaway customers only.  It truly is an extra service that is provided only for my convenience, and I want to encourage them to keep offering it. 

flickan

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2013, 08:02:11 PM »

No.  Mostly because it's not asked of me and is in fact not allowed.

As for tipping the barista, I almost never do this.  The most the coffee shop gets is my change after I pay in cash.  I don't think of it as the same as tipping bartenders.  And I've never examined why, if I'm perfectly honest.  It's just not something I'm in the habit of doing.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 08:04:24 PM by flickan »

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »

No.  Those places are arranged to provide carry out food, and people are not using time that would otherwise go to tipping customers for my order.  The restaurants I usually get takeaway from tend to be local places where there is no staff dedicated to takeaway customers only.  It truly is an extra service that is provided only for my convenience, and I want to encourage them to keep offering it.

I really don't think they will stop offering it. The restaurant is not offering you a favour out of the goodness of their hearts; you are giving them business. They want you to order food, and you are a paying customer.  No business in their right mind would turn you away and the staff don't get to decide it's too much hassle either.

Arila

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 02:54:35 AM »
For me it depends on the level of effort. Did I make an order for 6 people, multiple items, extra sauce etc? It's almost as much work getting that all together and packaged up and bagged so it doesn't spill in my car as serving me at the table, and the person doing it is usually a waitress (ie: living on tips). So, I tip a couple of bucks up to 10%, because they took and delivered one order (as opposed to drinks, appetizers, mains, desserts etc)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 11:00:29 AM »
I don't tip at fast food - the restaurant is set up for takeout - even if you eat in the restaurant, it is essentially takeout.  I only tip, slightly, if it is a normal, sit down restaurant.

I don't tip at the coffee shop because I don't go to shops that make fancy coffees.  If I did and got something fancy that took a fair amount of work to assemble, I'd leave at least my change.  If I was a regular and they remembered my order, I'd tip more.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario