Author Topic: The etiquette standards of working from home  (Read 5848 times)

jpcher

• Super Hero!
The etiquette standards of working from home
« on: October 12, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »
I understand part of the allure of working from home is that you get to be comfy while working. You don't have to dress to impress, you don't need to do your hair or make-up because, well, nobody sees you.

But, don't you think that some sort of office decorum should come into play when talking to people on the phone?

My boss had a day off yesterday (Friday). I sent her a few e-mails of things she should be aware of, nothing emergency-like, that could easily have been taken care of on Monday morning.

Boss called me just before 8:00 a.m. I said my usual phone greeting and heard a stifled yawn.

Boss: "Oh, excuse me . . . yeah about that one e-mail" pause, a slight giggle, some rustling/movement sounds "Sorry, I set the snooze and forgot to turn off the alarm. I literally just got out of bed."

So now I have this picture in my mind of my Boss in her pajamas sitting on the side of her bed trying to wake up. Ew! :o

Me: "Don't worry about it, this can wait until Monday. I didn't need an answer right away."

Boss (audibly stretching, sigh and all): "That's okay, I need to get out of bed anyway. I tell you what. Let me get a cup of coffee, I'll look into it and get back to you."

:o :o :o So why did you call me in the first place?

Now this isn't the first time where Boss was working from home and made personal comments like the above. I've heard "I'm sitting on my deck right now, boy this is nice." or "Hold on a sec, my dog just did something" . . . things like that. KWIM?

Am I off the wall for thinking that just because you're working from home it doesn't mean that you can bring your casual environment into the office setting?

Yesterday's morning phone call from Boss really put me off . . .

Should I say something to Boss about this? What would you do?

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
Re: The etiquette standards of working from home
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 03:20:49 PM »
  Calling at 8 am and not being awake enough to understand why she was calling that would make me nuts. 

But being a little too casual with her employees/subordinates in conversation I don't think is something I'd try to correct.  I mean "a little" in both type and quantity. 

Perfect Circle

• Birdie in the hand for life's rich demand
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »
So, did she have a day off or was she working from home? Those are two very different things.

I would say absolutely nothing. You may be slightly annoyed by it but it's not your place to correct her.
There's a secret stigma, reaping wheel.
Diminish, a carnival of sorts.
Chronic town, poster torn, reaping wheel.
Stranger, stranger to these parts.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 04:00:46 PM »
So, did she have a day off or was she working from home? Those are two very different things.

I would say absolutely nothing. You may be slightly annoyed by it but it's not your place to correct her.

No, not different things with some people that I know . . . technically it was her day off. But since she called into work, I consider that working from home. There are so many people answer their blueberries and bring lap-tops on vacation with them it astounds me. But that's a different thread.

Curious . . . whether she was on a day off (vacation) or on a work-from-home day, why would that make a difference as to how she handled calling into work?

ccnumber4

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 04:31:38 PM »
It's clear from your posts that you dislike this woman and I think you are letting this color your perception of a very minor issue.  It's her day off, you sent her a series of emails and she called you to address them.  I imagine if she had ignored you, since it was her day off, you would be complaining about that.  I really think you need to evaluate if this is the right job for you, as you are clearly unhappy working for your boss. 

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 04:37:38 PM »
I would say anything but there wasn't anything in the conversation that would bother me. Is it possible your irritation was increased because she was off on a day you were working.

I really can't come up with anything that you could say.

TaterTot

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 04:55:34 PM »
It's clear from your posts that you dislike this woman and I think you are letting this color your perception of a very minor issue.  It's her day off, you sent her a series of emails and she called you to address them.  I imagine if she had ignored you, since it was her day off, you would be complaining about that.  I really think you need to evaluate if this is the right job for you, as you are clearly unhappy working for your boss.

That's not the vibe I got from the OP at all. However, I also don't think that the OP needs to bring up these slightly unprofessional phone calls with the boss.

jmarvellous

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 05:44:37 PM »
I don't think she was wrong for mentioning her physical location in either of the examples you gave. It's not unprofessional to be in bed or on your deck on your day off.

I do think it's somewhat unprofessional to call before you're quite sure what's going on in the morning, though I definitely don't think it's your place to address it, and I don't think it's egregious.

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 05:51:37 PM »
Okay. So I am off the wall. That's good to know. I'll not say anything to Boss about this. Thanks for your replies. ;D

I would say anything but there wasn't anything in the conversation that would bother me. Is it possible your irritation was increased because she was off on a day you were working.

I really can't come up with anything that you could say.

It wasn't the actual conversation that bothered me (nor is there any irritation on my part that she gets a day off) even though the e-mails were info-only and didn't need to be addressed until Monday. I certainly was not looking for an answer from her on her day off.

It was the fact that she made it obvious that she was calling from her bed that made me uncomfortable. I mean, to me, this is TMI and in my opinion very much unprofessional work-from-home conduct.

When you're working from home, shouldn't your phone calls be the same, etiquette-wise, as a call that's being made from your on-site office?

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
When you're working from home, shouldn't your phone calls be the same, etiquette-wise, as a call that's being made from your on-site office?
[/quote

Well, but she wasn't really "working from home" IMO. She was "off the clock" and doing you a favor by looking into a work matter while she was off.

newbiePA

• Outside the Marinara Zone- our new blog :)
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »
It depends. During office hours, yes. During a scheduled teleconference, yes.  After hours, or on vacation, I think being a little casual is ok.  If I am sending a message after hours, or while I know someone is on vacation, I typically put a line in that I do not expect a response until the next business day/ after vacation.
Not such a newbie anymore

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 06:00:43 PM »
IF you were asking "should I call work and say "hey, I'm still in bed.""  my answer would be no. My answer is also say nothing if your boss calls work and says "I'm still in bed."

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 06:02:07 PM »
I don't think she was wrong for mentioning her physical location in either of the examples you gave. It's not unprofessional to be in bed or on your deck on your day off.

I do think it's somewhat unprofessional to call before you're quite sure what's going on in the morning, though I definitely don't think it's your place to address it, and I don't think it's egregious.

Just to clarify, the deck and the dog comments that I made in my OP were when boss was actually on "working from home" status . . . not vacation days. The bed thing was a vacation day.

Ceallach

• This Is It
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »
I don't get what is so disgusting about knowing a boss just got out of bed.   At the office I often know when my boss is going to the toilet which is waaay more personal.  (You know, the whole "I just need a quick bathroom break" before a meeting or similar).   

I think it was nice of her to call immediately to check if you needed an urgent response, and it makes sense to me that once you said it could wait she decided not to rush to respond and instead get on with starting her day.

Having said that, I've had a boss I hated at a previous job, and I was often disgusted and irritated by little things she did, so I think I do understand where you're coming from.
"Nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something"

CakeBeret

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »
I'm going to go against the grain here. I would feel put-off and uncomfortable if someone from worked called *me* yawning, giggling, rustling about, and saying that she or he just got out of bed. I would roll my eyes hard if my boss did this. I wouldn't say anything, of course, but I would find it unprofessional.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."