General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

The etiquette standards of working from home

<< < (2/10) > >>

Hmmmmm:
I would say anything but there wasn't anything in the conversation that would bother me. Is it possible your irritation was increased because she was off on a day you were working.

I really can't come up with anything that you could say.

TaterTot:

--- Quote from: ccnumber4 on October 12, 2013, 04:31:38 PM ---It's clear from your posts that you dislike this woman and I think you are letting this color your perception of a very minor issue.  It's her day off, you sent her a series of emails and she called you to address them.  I imagine if she had ignored you, since it was her day off, you would be complaining about that.  I really think you need to evaluate if this is the right job for you, as you are clearly unhappy working for your boss.

--- End quote ---

That's not the vibe I got from the OP at all. However, I also don't think that the OP needs to bring up these slightly unprofessional phone calls with the boss.

jmarvellous:
I don't think she was wrong for mentioning her physical location in either of the examples you gave. It's not unprofessional to be in bed or on your deck on your day off.

I do think it's somewhat unprofessional to call before you're quite sure what's going on in the morning, though I definitely don't think it's your place to address it, and I don't think it's egregious.

jpcher:
Okay. So I am off the wall. That's good to know. I'll not say anything to Boss about this. Thanks for your replies. ;D

--- Quote from: Hmmmmm on October 12, 2013, 04:37:38 PM ---I would say anything but there wasn't anything in the conversation that would bother me. Is it possible your irritation was increased because she was off on a day you were working.

I really can't come up with anything that you could say.

--- End quote ---

It wasn't the actual conversation that bothered me (nor is there any irritation on my part that she gets a day off) even though the e-mails were info-only and didn't need to be addressed until Monday. I certainly was not looking for an answer from her on her day off.

It was the fact that she made it obvious that she was calling from her bed that made me uncomfortable. I mean, to me, this is TMI and in my opinion very much unprofessional work-from-home conduct.

When you're working from home, shouldn't your phone calls be the same, etiquette-wise, as a call that's being made from your on-site office?

Yvaine:

--- Quote from: jpcher on October 12, 2013, 05:51:37 PM ---When you're working from home, shouldn't your phone calls be the same, etiquette-wise, as a call that's being made from your on-site office?
[/quote

Well, but she wasn't really "working from home" IMO. She was "off the clock" and doing you a favor by looking into a work matter while she was off.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version