Author Topic: Apartment Grilling Etiquette (update #27, 48)  (Read 7953 times)

JoW

Re: Apartment Grilling Etiquette
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2013, 11:37:36 PM »
Offer to share your grill with the neighbors.  I'm serious.  Go up or call and say "We're cooking dinner on the grill tonight.  You're welcome to us it, too, if you want."  That was standard procedure when I was in college. 

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2013, 11:40:26 PM »
I think the best solution (for next year, when grilling season restarts) is to do whatever you can to reduce the amount of smoke that goes into their apartment.  I dunno, if it's really small, could you just set it up on your stovetop and turn the vent hood on?

Please, whatever you decide to do DO NOT move the grill indoors!! Charcoal gives off noxious fumes & can sicken or even kill you. My father got quite ill at
a party when someone moved a charcoal grill into a garage (with both the person
and car doors open) b/c the weather had taken a nasty turn.  Please be safe!

Seems like the upstairs neighbors have quite the legitimate complaint then considering smoke rises.

sweetonsno

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 02:56:59 AM »
I think the best solution (for next year, when grilling season restarts) is to do whatever you can to reduce the amount of smoke that goes into their apartment.  I dunno, if it's really small, could you just set it up on your stovetop and turn the vent hood on?

Please, whatever you decide to do DO NOT move the grill indoors!! Charcoal gives off noxious fumes & can sicken or even kill you. My father got quite ill at
a party when someone moved a charcoal grill into a garage (with both the person
and car doors open) b/c the weather had taken a nasty turn.  Please be safe!

Seems like the upstairs neighbors have quite the legitimate complaint then considering smoke rises.

Yes, I'd imagine so. If you (general) don't want it in your house, it's likely that your neighbors don't either.

That said, there are grills designed for indoor use, even ones that use charcoal. (You do have to get clean-burning charcoal, though.) See the Homping's indoor charcoal grill.

Smoky seasonings (smoked salt, liquid smoke, smoked paprika, etc.) are another option.

menley

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 04:30:52 AM »
Another small update - I spoke with the wife today. Apparently she speaks much more English than her husband does, so we were able to have a good conversation. It seems that our grill was the "final straw" in that she is very, very frustrated with the apartment in general at the moment. Her number one frustration is the restaurant downstairs, which recently added a vent from their kitchen into our mini-courtyard which is both noisy and smelly for 20 hours of the day.

I had not noticed as we never open the windows that open into the courtyard (as I mentioned in the first post, we could see directly into our neighbor's bathroom and bedroom if we did, and there really isn't fresh air as the courtyard is SO small - so we open the windows that face the main street instead). And my husband is always the one who grills, so I honestly never set foot on the balcony. But today I stepped onto the balcony when she mentioned this and wow. The noise is unbearable and the smell is that sort of greasy fast-food oily smell (if that makes sense).

So, when we grilled last week, it was the icing on the cake of unhappy smells for this couple.

This further cements my idea that for the time being, we'll use my indoor grill pan when we want to "grill".

aussie_chick

« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 06:42:32 AM »
Another small update - I spoke with the wife today. Apparently she speaks much more English than her husband does, so we were able to have a good conversation. It seems that our grill was the "final straw" in that she is very, very frustrated with the apartment in general at the moment. Her number one frustration is the restaurant downstairs, which recently added a vent from their kitchen into our mini-courtyard which is both noisy and smelly for 20 hours of the day.

I had not noticed as we never open the windows that open into the courtyard (as I mentioned in the first post, we could see directly into our neighbor's bathroom and bedroom if we did, and there really isn't fresh air as the courtyard is SO small - so we open the windows that face the main street instead). And my husband is always the one who grills, so I honestly never set foot on the balcony. But today I stepped onto the balcony when she mentioned this and wow. The noise is unbearable and the smell is that sort of greasy fast-food oily smell (if that makes sense).

So, when we grilled last week, it was the icing on the cake of unhappy smells for this couple.

This further cements my idea that for the time being, we'll use my indoor grill pan when we want to "grill".

Good on you for having another conversation with one of the neighbours. It's always interesting when you find out one irritating thing is not the only irritating thing going on. Doesn't mean you should have to miss out on grilling, which you've already said is allowed in your building, but it probably helps that their perspective has been cleared up. Your neighbour probably appreciated the chance to explain - even if they're still not keen on your grill. But as you said, you're going to put it away this year and maybe think about it again next year.

I empathise with all of you about the restaurant downstairs. I've been subjected to that kind of fast food smell before and it's pretty revolting.

Momiitz

Re: Apartment Grilling Etiquette (update #27, 48)
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »
It's nice that you are communicating and trying to work with the neighbors.  You are not being rude by grilling on the balcony. When it gets warmer and you want to grill outside again I like the idea to give them a heads up.

The apartment does not look like a good fit for your neighbors, I hope they find a better living situation.

Grape

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 01:08:03 PM »
I think your upstairs neighbours are a bit snowflakey.  I would never ask a neighbour to stop doing something that is permitted; I'd just close my windows for a while and then open them again later.  I'd do the same if someone was smoking on their balcony.

I like the suggestion to get a small fan and use it to blow the grill smoke out so that when it rises, it hopefully doesn't go right in the windows of your upstairs neighbours.
I don't think they are being snowflakey. Imagine - it's a lovely fall evening following a hot summer locked in climate controlled air conditioning and finally you get to open your windows to let in some fresh air. Soon after, your apartment is filled with smoke, leaving you no choice but to shut your windows. It's not snowflakey to be annoyed by that. And it's not snowflakey to try to work something out with the neighbors causing the offending smoke. Maybe there is a compromise to be reached - better to try that first.

Especially if you have asthma and it can be a lot of smoke!

AnnaJ

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »
It's nice that you are communicating and trying to work with the neighbors.  You are not being rude by grilling on the balcony. When it gets warmer and you want to grill outside again I like the idea to give them a heads up.

The apartment does not look like a good fit for your neighbors, I hope they find a better living situation.

This is what I am thinking - it sounds as though, given that other people around them grill and the whole restaurant situation, it's really on the neighbors to find an apartment that will suit their needs rather than expect the OP not to do something that is both legal and common in that neighborhood.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2013, 03:06:06 PM »
Hey, menley--maybe you need to set something like this next to the grill, blowing away from it (sucking the air in through the back and out through the front:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qxgFJ_NJ4UA/T2ruOx__8CI/AAAAAAAABIc/HILpFZ8LdPI/s1600/Box+Fan+Filter0.gif

(It's a box fan with a filter attached to the front of it.)

EllenS

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »

I think that's very nice of you.  I'm glad you were able to have a good conversation with the neighbor, that can make all the difference in a close living situation.