Author Topic: Where should I put my jacket?  (Read 3778 times)

guihong

• Super Hero!
Re: Where should I put my jacket?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2013, 08:03:39 PM »
To your relative, they're not being "rude", they're being normal.  Their home is apparently good enough for them.

I'd just stop visiting their home, and arrange to meet in a restaurant or somewhere else.

miranova

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
Agree with the others, your problem is with their level of cleanliness (or lack thereof).  There is no polite way to say "don't put my jacket on your filthy furniture" so your options are limited to the choices already stated, namely:  stay at home, leave your jacket in the car, or say "can I hang this up in your closet?".  I am a bit surprised you haven't tried the 3rd one...after all you have been putting your jacket somewhere, why not ask to hang it up instead of wherever you have been putting it?  They are moving it for a reason, it must be in the way or something.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »
If you have to continue visiting the in their home, then either leave your jacket in the car, or ask " where can I hang this" ( not " where can I PUT this" because the couch, where they would normally PUT coats, is unsuitable).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

bopper

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2013, 10:26:44 AM »
For a normal house, the couch should be fine.

FOr houses that are extra dirty, leave your coat in the car.

peaches

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2013, 11:04:58 AM »
I think some good options have been given: leave jacket in the car, ask where you can hang up your coat, keep it in your lap. 

Or, perhaps you could hang it (or fold it) around the back of a chair in the kitchen or dining room.  I've had people do that at my house, when they declined my offer to hang up their jacket.

Perhaps you might be more comfortable wearing something that you don't need to take off.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2013, 08:06:26 PM »
Maybe it's time to give those relatives a coat tree for Christmas! (or whatever gift-giving occasion comes next)

scotcat60

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »
The newel post on the staircase bannisters, if they have stairs, perhaps?

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2013, 11:08:44 AM »
How about keeping a bag in the car?  Whenever you visit, you can bring in the bag to keep your jacket in.

NyaChan

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2013, 04:55:48 PM »
The newel post on the staircase bannisters, if they have stairs, perhaps?

Maybe it's time to give those relatives a coat tree for Christmas! (or whatever gift-giving occasion comes next)

My vote is for these two.

peaches

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2013, 09:54:23 PM »
How about keeping a bag in the car?  Whenever you visit, you can bring in the bag to keep your jacket in.

This idea has possibilities!

Another way to do this would be to carry a tote for your purse, one that's large enough to hold a jacket as well.