Author Topic: Specific plans vs going with the flow - who's in the right?  (Read 12960 times)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
  • Super Hero!
Re: Specific plans vs going with the flow - who's in the right?
« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2013, 10:49:25 AM »
In the OP it was explained that Alice got up and threw on some casual clothes and (I think it was later stated) hadn't showered or put on the clothes she intended to wear to go out.

Later, after the holiday, Alice told the OP that she hadn't realised everyone else getting showered and dressed meant they were getting ready to go out. Alice said "presumably you would have had a shower and got dressed even if we weren't going anywhere. I thought that's what you were doing."

But Alice herself didn't shower and get dressed when first getting up. So she assumed that everyone else's ablutions and dressing were part of normal behaviour when this was not her own behaviour. This makes me side eye what Alice actually was thinking about everyone else getting ready.

I think Alice's point was that if we were all just hanging around the house that day, we would still all have gotten showered and dressed, as would she. The fact that she hadn't yet doesn't mean that she wouldn't have done.

But she did know that the plan wasn't to hang around the house all day... there was a plan to go someplace. Just that the time hadn't been set yet.

Victim Of Fate

Re: Specific plans vs going with the flow - who's in the right?
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2013, 05:22:21 PM »

I think Alice's point was that if we were all just hanging around the house that day, we would still all have gotten showered and dressed, as would she. The fact that she hadn't yet doesn't mean that she wouldn't have done.

But she did know that the plan wasn't to hang around the house all day... there was a plan to go someplace. Just that the time hadn't been set yet.

Of course she knew that the plan wasn't to hang around the house all day, but I think she was saying that the fact that everyone was having a shower and getting dressed wasn't necessarily indicative of the fact that people would want to leave as soon as possible, because people would have done that anyway.