Author Topic: thank-you note required?  (Read 1153 times)

Adelaide

thank-you note required?
« on: October 12, 2013, 02:59:20 PM »
(Asking this for a friend who wanted me to post, please feel free to ask for clarification questions and I'll have her read them.)

A professor recently met up with me for brunch and we discussed school and my plans for a career path. We chatted for about 2 hours and I thanked her profusely for it (she paid the ~$25 tab and had made it clear that she was buying before we went) and we parted ways. I was in her class two years ago and we've kept in contact since. Should I write her a thank you note? Is one required? I've seen a girl friend of mine who's a bit heavy-handed with thank you notes and I know they can seem like overkill. What is the timeframe for writing it if one should be sent?

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: thank-you note required?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 03:04:49 PM »
I would certainly write a TY note for this meeting.
The Professor spent time, money and thought.  That should be acknowledged. 

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 03:12:18 PM »
Yes this is a thank you note situation.   

jpcher

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 03:39:26 PM »
Agreed. A thank you note should be sent.

A TY note is not usually required for a brunch date where friends get together and someone else pays. This is where reciprocation comes into play amongst friends.

Your Friend received advice for a career path from a mentor, so it's a bit different than "just brunch."

While not so much a TY for the brunch, I think the TY should be geared more towards a TY for the information and appreciation for mentor's valued continual support and guidance.

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 04:39:26 PM »
I'd probably send a thank you via email but a written one would be a very nice gesture.

veronaz

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
Yes, a thank you note would be appropriate.  A few days up to a week  after.

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:40:05 PM »
I would send one, not only thanking the professor for lunch but for the advice and guidance.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 07:16:40 PM »
I would send an acknowledgment, which would almost certainly include the words "thank you," so I guess that's a thank you note. :D Something formal engraved with the words "Thank You" in gold script on the front might be a bit much, though. Sometimes that's what I think of when I hear the phrase "thank you note" and that can be a bit over the top for some situations. A note, paper or electronic, containing the words "thank you" along with other heartfelt sentiments is almost never wrong, though, I think.
~Lynn2000

figee

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 08:13:11 PM »
As a professor, in this situation, an email thank you would be appreciated with perhaps an update about how things turn out later.