Author Topic: tipping 25%  (Read 5208 times)

EllenS

Re: tipping 25%
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
I currently live in Europe and the standard is 10%, so the concept of 25% being expected is just sort of mind-boggling at the moment  :o

The creeping upwards in "acceptable" tips drives me crazy. When I was a kid it was acceptable to tip 10%, by the time I was in high school / college 15% was considered the norm. When I left the US 7 years later it was 20%, and now only two years later I'm being told it's 25%?

I'm east of the Atlantic, too -- in the UK.  As I've mentioned before on eHell -- the business about tipping in restaurants in the US, comes to be for me rather a disincentive re visiting the US, even if I could afford such a trip.  Have been reading discussions about this issue on various Internet sites, ever since my first discovering the Net a fair few years ago. At my "first discovering" time, 15% was generally quoted as the acceptable standard tip; then it became 20%; now 25% is being talked of (to my relief, the majority of posters on this thread are not in favour).  I can't help but wonder, though -- how long before the acceptable standard becomes 50%?  100%?  This thing truly strikes me as something of a bugbear, as regards visits to the States.

In my experience of eating out in Europe and the UK, though, it appears to me that the relative price for a restaurant meal is about 15%-20% higher than for a comparable meal/type of restaurant here.  The costs of the server's wage is built into the menu price. It evens out, at least in my travels.

The tip creep is insidious.  I'd rather see the US go to a living wage for servers and drop tipping, but it seems to be ingrained.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2013, 02:49:51 PM »
Honestly, if I'm travelling, I don't really care if the server thinks I'm cheap.  It's not like I'm going to be eating there again any time soon.  You'll get 15 to 20%, depending on the quality of the service.  And if you don't like it?  I don't care.

It would be different if it was a place in my home town that I go to all the time.  If the town culture is 25%, I either tip 25% or I stop going out.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Clarissa

« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2013, 06:14:04 PM »
I live in England and tipping is not the norm. Not at least where I live ( the midlands). I do understand that in the U.S it's different, but I can't understand why the waiter/ess is not paid a proper wage to start with. I do tip for exceptional service.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2013, 06:23:19 PM »
I have no problem tipping 25% (I generally tip 20% or more).  I make good money - definitely more than my servers do - and I count the tip as part of the cost of going out.  When I was a server, it was not my "career" (it was during summers when I was in college and law school) but I appreciated being tipped well.  I "needed" the money but it was not my only source of income (I had scholarships, grants, and student loans as well).  I was never worried about whether I would be able to eat that week, but I know that it not the case for a lot of servers.

When I consider that other servers are in the position I was in (students trying to minimize loans and get a step up when they enter "the real world"), I want to tip them well.  And then I consider that for some people server is their career and only source of income and I want to tip them even better.  A few dollars more in a tip is immaterial to my bottom line (in fact, I factor it into my budget).  However, a few dollars more from each patron could mean a single mother is able to pay her rent *and* school clothes this month, for example.  I realize not everyone has the means to think this way, or the desire to think this way, but for me, I do not begrudge servers a few extra dollars out of my wallet.

The problem is that the line is always moving. How will you feel in ten years, when USA Today is telling us that the bare minimum to tip is 50%, and generous people leave at least 100%?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2013, 10:11:19 PM »
I will feel the same and I will tip as *I* see fit.