Author Topic: tipping 25%  (Read 5260 times)

Ryuugan80

• AO3 Profile
Re: tipping 25%
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 11:25:02 AM »
Honestly, I think that raising the percentage for tips would actually earn the servers less. People tend to be willing to pay a certain amount for their meal. If I know I'm going to have to pay out a 25% tip, I'm either going to get a cheaper meal or just go to a different/fast food place. At the end of the day this is money coming out of someone else's pockets. People will, generally, try to minimize their losses and costs. So the few people that don't will end up having to push their tips up to 30 or 35 percent to make up for the others that are still tipping the minimum or under.

Heaven forbid if store owners take that as a reason to give out fewer raises or keep workers at the absolute minimum wage rather than something more competitive.
"Yo, those kids are straight up liars, man. All I told them to do was run product. And by product, I mean chewing gum."  - Lie to Me

-----

Lestrade: "Exactly how many times did he fall out of the window?"
Sherlock: "Oh, it's all a bit of a blur, Detective Inspector. I lost count

Goosey

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 11:26:59 AM »
I think tipping 25% is nice when you can do it, BUT servers should not expect that level of a tip AND it should not be held up as the standard.

I tip between 18-20%. I think that's the standard, if I'm not mistaken? I've heard 15-20%, too.

mich3554

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 11:49:30 AM »
I had an interesting experience a couple weeks ago that I think pertains to this.....

My b/f and I met up with a group of my friends (from the other side of the country) in a nearby city.  There were 7 of us total, 4 women and 3 men.  Over 3 days, we split up into groups of various sizes to do our own things, but always met up for dinner.  One of the things that I noticed was that each evening where we met as a group, service at whatever restaurant we were in (because we were 7, had an automatic gratuity) was severely lacking.  However, when we at lunch together, in groups of 3-4, service was much better.....even in same restaurants, same servers, about the same density of diners.  The last dinner we had together, a smaller table adjacent to our's with 3 diners got MUCH better service by the same server.  We had to ask repeatedly for bread, for another glass of wine, for water.  That was when the light went on in my brain that the server knew he had a guaranteed 18%, so why should he give us any more than bare minimum?

None of us were inclined to tip over the auto grat of 18%, whereas when we met at lunch, we had very good service and did tend to tip over 20%.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 12:15:50 PM »
When there is an autograt, I don't tip over that amount unless the service was stellar.

Where I live, servers get close to minimum wage; it isn't severely less, like it is in many states.  Our tax is 13%.  For good, normal service, I will tip the tax, rounded up to the next dollar amount, also rounding the total up to the next dollar amount.  So on a $10 bill, the tax is $1.30; I'd tip $2 for a total of $12.  On a bill of $11.50, the tax is about $1.50.  So I'd tip $2 + $0.50 to make the total $14.  The tip tends to be a bit better on smaller bills.

Absolutely stellar service will see a tip of 25% or better.  But in that case, the server has to practically anticipate my needs before I even know I need it.

I do tend to tip lower for buffets but there is one buffet I go to that the service is incredible.  I never have to move my old plate out of the way when I get back with a new plate; my water glass is always full; I get a warm towel to wipe my face and hands at the end of the meal.  So that place, I tip the same way I do any other restaurant.  But otherwise, I round the tax down to the nearest dollar but round up the total bill.  So for the $11.50 bill, I'd tip $1 + $0.50 for a total of $13.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

whiskeytangofoxtrot

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 12:45:18 PM »
I've worn the apron too, and because of that I can be a server's best friend. I also hold them to the same standard of quality that I learned to adhere to when I waited tables. That being said, I tip the customary amount for adequate but not remarkable service, a bit less for poor service (but not severely so, I'm still sympathetic to the wage situation), and incrementally more for better service. I will tip 25%+, on occasion, if they're really good, or for someone with whom I have a long-standing relationship, like my hair stylist.

It's certainly not the server's fault that wages are so low, but it's not the customer's fault either, and I never expected my customers to make it up to me. I was happy if they tipped according to service.

problemattic

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 12:56:46 PM »
DD is a waitperson and I know that for every 15-20% tip she receives, another patron who leaves 5% or nothing.  Everywhere she has ever waited tables, she cultivates regulars who ask to be seated in her section time and again, so I know it isn't typically a function of poor service. (I'm sure she has her bad days, like everyone else.)  I think there are still some people who honestly don't know she doesn't make a living wage without tips.  But I digress...

I do sometimes tip 25%, when I can afford it.  I know I'd be a miserable waitperson and it just looks like a thankless, difficult job.  If a waitperson is friendly and I feel they are doing their best to give me a good dining experience, I am generous.  My husband used to work in the restaurant business, so he tips according to how well the waitperson performs technically.  He has a back-of-the-house perspective.   We sometimes dine for free due to his connections.  When this occurs, we over-tip ridiculously, but even then we are not coming close to what we would have paid for the meal. 

My plumber makes better money than I do, so he's on his own!   >:D

gellchom

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 01:01:04 PM »
I just hate the whole tipping system, and even percentage-based service charges.  I'd much rather see servers paid like everyone else and pay higher prices for my meal. 

What really bothers me is what others have mentioned: the percentage system, whether it's 15% or 25% or anything else, is based on how much the food costs, not on how hard the server had to work.  So the cocktail waitress carrying a tray of tiny, super-expensive cocktails at a place full of big spenders will get a much bigger tip than the her grandmother who is a waitress carrying a huge tray of heavy, inexpensive meals at a pancake house to a big family that will make a mess and probably can't afford to spend much anyway. 

So I might tip more than 100% for a cup of coffee, but probably a bit less than 20% for a super-expensive meal, even if the service was excellent.  I try to think in dollars, not percentages of prices.

I also notice that a couple of my friends who make a big deal of ALWAYS tipping at least 20% seem to be trying to outdo each other in a more-sensitive-than-thou way.  They always tip more than I do, and rather ostentatiously.  I also happen to know that they give very little to charity.  So it's nice that they are being generous to the servers -- I just wish they would keep that spirit of generosity when it isn't a Diamond Lil kind of situation where they are showing off.

EllenS

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 01:15:52 PM »
I consider 15% to be the minimum for decent service, less than that would be a penalty.  For better than average service, I lean to 20%. 

I will tip extra on occasions when we have inadvertently caused a lot of hassle for the staff.  Our kids are well-behaved but they are kids, and will occasionally spill things or be messy eaters. The bigger the mess, the bigger the extra tip.

I usually have to add to the tip when my dad takes us out.  He, for some reason, believes that 8-10% is an appropriate tip.  I don't know if that is the old standard or just him.  I try to make sure and top it off, or else eat in a self-serve place.

flickan

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 01:21:41 PM »
25% is too much to expect.

I would tip 25% for truly exceptional service or if for some reason we were a big hassle to the waitstaff (check split 5 ways or something)

I do tip 20% for all service.  I've never left a less than 20% tip, regardless of the quality of the service.  I don't expect others to do this.  But I've dated a waitress and I know that they have their bad days too.  It's unfortunate that we have to make up in tips what they do not get in wages depending on where they live.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
I'm usually happy to tip around 20% and sometimes go up but I do not think it is reasonable to expect others to tip 25% to make up for somebody else's 5% tip.

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 01:44:41 PM »
My overall tipping philosophy is I tip on luxuries. I can do my own nails, but its nicer to have someone do them, I can cook and serve my own meals, but its a luxury to go out to eat, I can do my own laundry but drop off service is a personal treat. And I personally have the opinion if I can afford luxuries I can afford to be generous. And the more luxurious (a nicer restaurant, a high end bar, etc) I choose to go, the higher I plan to tip.

That said I was a server (actually at a rather high end place) and I have high standards for very high tips. My main baseline is water. In my city there is no regulation about automatically being given water, so if I have to ask I'm already annoyed. If my glass is ever empty I'm probably pretty ticked - water costs the restaurant fractions of a cent and filling a glass requires no skill.

My city's tax is just under 9% so my "base" tip used to be to double the tax (usually rounding up to the next easiest number). But these days I just go with an easy 20% because... well the math is easy. If I get really good service I'll go to 25%.

Of course all this is moot more then half the time because my husband and my dad are the ones ruining it for everyone, and when I'm out with either they tend to pay. I have no idea why but they both tend to just baseline tip 30% unless things are really, really bad in which case they lower it to 25% or so  ::) Going back to my original theory of tipping on luxuries and if I can afford a luxury I can afford to be generous, I figure if they want to tip 30%, being generous is a good thing to put out to the universe so I just let them tip well, and thank them for dinner.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:47:40 PM by WillyNilly »

Emmy

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
Honestly, I wish if they aren't going to switch away from tipping that instead we go to a flat rate per person or per hour. I never could figure out why I should pay more for them to take and bring an order for a prime rib versus a burger.

I agree with this.  It takes the same amount of effort to take a burger and a prime rib out to the customer.  I will pay 25% or even more if I have a very inexpensive order and good service.  I'll often tip more than 25% if we just go out for breakfast, dessert, or have an otherwise inexpensive meal.  If we go out to dinner, especially at a pricier place, I figure the server makes plenty with an 15-18% tip.

noydb

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
No, sorry, I will not pay a 25% gratuity. DH, DS and I went to dinner Saturday evening. Mid range restaurant for our city with most entrees between $12 & $18. We had 3 entrees and a shared appetizer. Our bill which included 2 iced teas, a soda and a margarita came to $75.  We were seated for less than an hour. A 25% tip would be $18.75. Our server was not dedicated to our table, she had at least 5 other tables. I feel the $15 we left was more than reasonable for the amount of time she spent taking our order, bringing our drinks, turning in our order, bringing our food and clearning our table.

I think this is a great point!  Servers are making good money with good hours, besides having to work holidays and such.  Believe me, wouldnt want to go back to it (like my holidays/weekends off, I'm not too social so not suited to serving [but I did good at the time!]).  I do know some work too hard and are struggling a lot financially.  I have no solution there.

I had a fellow professional-like server tell me once that you dont want have the tipping system go away bc then servers have no incentive to serve you awesomely.

And, if you stick to the norms and tip appropriately, you keep the standards where they should be.  Those that are tipping 25% -- average service gets that?  So what do you give the exceltional, how do you reward them as they should be?

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 03:18:53 PM »
One of the many things that has been annoying to me lately is the appearance of TIP jars & signs at what I consider odd locations:

a drive through beer & cigarette sales location - where you literally drive up to a window and someone hands your order out the window; has a sign hanging up "Show us your tips" and an old giant pickle jar for tipping

a giant labeled tip jar outside of a Thai restaurant - you order by phone and pick it up at the window or you can be waited on and dine inside (where again, there is a tip jar by the register)

Tip jar at the counter INSIDE the pizza store (it's pick up or delivery only - no dine in) 

saw a tip jar beside the sink where I get my hair done, apparently I should tip my shampoo girl right then & there  :o

Recent visit to a swanky restaurant had this on the menu: All groups of 5 or more will be charged a gratuity fee of 22%   (Whoa- that's a lot for service that may not be worth it) and I have watched the group numbers decrease from 8 to 6 to now 5, if it drops to 4 there won't be many couples dining together !

Roe

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 03:43:10 PM »
I tip at 20%.  If servers feel that's unfair, I'll just go back to 15%.