Author Topic: Could you please help with a meringue torte?  (Read 834 times)

doodlemor

Could you please help with a meringue torte?
« on: November 03, 2013, 11:11:59 PM »
I've been very impressed with the information that ehellions have shared in the recent cooking and baking threads.  If anyone could please answer some questions for me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Next weekend I'm having some company for several days, and one of them can't eat very much gluten.  I found a recipe for a Swedish mocha torte [Mockatarta], and it sounds really good.  I have several other gluten free or low gluten things to make, but I'd really like to give this a try.

Basically, the torte is comprised of 3 meringue layers that are put together with a coffee flavored buttercream.  I'm a bit afraid that I'll make a mess of the buttercream, and wonder if my favorite frosting with a custard base would work in this dessert.

These are the ingredients in my favorite frosting:  1 c milk or half and half, 3 T instant flour - cooked together and cooled.  One cup of granulated sugar and 1 cup of butter creamed, add the custard and beat.  Other flavorings, chocolate can be added at appropriate times.  Very simple.

My first question is.......Can the meringue torte be made a whole day ahead, and is it supposed to soften up a bit while it sets?

My second question is......Do you think that my regular frosting would work in this, instead of the buttercream?  I would probably add some instant coffee to the custard for flavoring.

Thank you for reading this.  Any advice would be appreciated. 

cicero

• Super Hero!
Re: Could you please help with a meringue torte?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 12:21:24 AM »
I've never made meringue tortes so take this with a grain of salt, but many of my friends make them a lot. AFAIK you can store the cake part , at room temp tightly covered for a few days.

I've only ever had it with some type of pudding/custardy filling and fruit so you filling sounds like a better bet to me.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 12:23:07 AM »
you can't put the whole thing together the day before or it will fall apart.  However, you can make the meringues and the filling a couple of days before and put it together the day of. 

If you want the meringue to be a bit sturdier, you can make a swiss meringue which basically means you heat the whites and sugar over a double boiler until the sugar dissolves and then whip as usual.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 03:54:56 AM »
I'm not sure what instant flour is, but if it does contain gluten, could you maybe substitute potato starch?

Another option would be to make an egg based custard like creme patissiere http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/strawberry_and_creme_74449 (which would also use up you egg yolks!). You can make it in advance and either cover it with baking paper, or brush a thin layer of butter over the top whilst still hot to prevent a skin from forming. When you want to use it you just beat the butter in and use as normal.

Whipped cream could be another option.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd agree with those who have already suggested that you make the parts in advance and then assemble on the day. Meringue stores well in an airtight tin.  Personally I'd assemble it as late as possible.
NE England

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 04:48:52 AM »
Are you making a hard meringue or a pavlova? If you make it like a pavlova, it's not hard. Make sure you make it in the evening when the kitchen isn't in use and leave it in the oven to cool all night it it will crack.

It will be crispy on outside and soft in middle.

doodlemor

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 12:26:31 PM »
I truly appreciate all of the advice, ehellions.  This sounds difficult enough that I may wait and try it on the family first.  It never occurred to me that the whole thing could just fall apart!  Yikes!  It looks so scrumptious in the picture!

I have 2 recipes for this, and one of them calls for swiss meringue.  Definitely I'll be making it that way.  It sounds like a good idea to just assemble it a few hours beforehand.  Thanks, PastryGoddess.

It's good to know that I could make the layers a few days beforehand, cicero.  Thanks for that suggestion.  The last day or so before they arrive will be quite busy.

I don't know the difference between a hard meringue and a pavlova, Katana_G.  One of my recipes is for regular "beat it up and cook it meringue," and the other has the mixture cooking over hot water while it is being beaten, and then it goes into the oven.  I will make the layers in the evening and leave them in the oven all night. Thanks for that good advice. [That is also the safest place for them in this house with young cats and a tall dog.]

Instant flour is sold in the US, mechtilde, by Betty Crocker [large food company].  It's called Wondra Quick Mixing Flour, and comes in a blue shaker.  It makes gravies and sauces incredibly easy to do.  Thanks for the potato flour suggestion - there is some already in my cupboard.  I also greatly appreciate the crème patissiere recipe.  If I don't use it for the mockatarta, I will use it to fill a Swedish midsummer/strawberry cake that I've been wanting to try.

If there is enough time before my guests arrive I still want to make this.  Otherwise, maybe I'll try a rolled cake make with potato starch.  There are several recipes in one of my cookbooks.  Thanks for all the advice - I rather suspect that you all have prevented some sort of kitchen disaster.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »
A Pavlova has a slightly different recipe that makes it crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.  A regular meringue will be crunchy all the way through.  Although one you add a filing it will soften the inside. 

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:47:38 PM »
I'm not entirely sure if potato flour and potato starch are the same thing, but I've found that potato starch makes a good substitute for cornstarch.
NE England

Elisabunny

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2013, 06:03:02 PM »
Another thing, I don't know what kind of climate you live in, but do NOT even attempt a baked meringue if it is raining or the humidity is really high.
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 02:31:33 AM »
And don't boil water before you do it either.