Author Topic: Halloween Costumes: Yours  (Read 9131 times)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
Re: Halloween Costumes: Yours
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 03:28:23 PM »
One year, Mr. Thipu and I went as 'Death and Taxes'.

I wore my academic gown with a black scarf over my hair.  I made up my face as a skull with white make-up, black around my eyes and teeth painted on my lips. 

Mr. Thipu wore a banker's gray suit. He had a conservative blue tie with signs indicating dollars, pounds and yen woven into it. We bought a package of play money and pinned the bills into the cuffs of his trousers, the cuffs of his jacket, the waistband of his pants and every available pocket. 

I loved to dress up. Mr. Thipu didn't.  The costumes gave us both a chance to be comfortable and have fun while taking part in the spirit of Halloween. 

Guess what.  We wound up winning a prize at the charity party.       

Amanita

• San Francisco I miss you!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 04:53:37 PM »
Since I'm plus sized and don't really go in for skimpwear, I make my own costumes, and I wear the same thing for Halloween as I do for Conventions. I don't buy into the notion that only "traditional" costumes are appropriate for halloween, nor do I get bent out of shape if somebody asks me who or what I am.

Anyhow, here's one of my outfits- NYC natives will recognize the skyscraper it's based on. I give you One Penn Plaza:
http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/art/One-Penn-Plaza-Incarnate-277908270

This costume got me invited into the real One Penn's secured lobby, security thought it was awesome.

And this is what I am working on for this year, it's the San Remo of Central Park West. Here's (most of) the robes, leatherwork, and some of the jewellery. I'm still working on the crown and main weapon.

Here's the blouse, it's a linen/cotton blend with embroidered cotton trim:
http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/art/San-Remo-s-blouse-311796997

The long vest- silk dupioni with emerald green satin lining, and the trim was accented with almost  gross of hand applied sworovski rhinestones. It also has a lot of hand painting, done in metallic shades:
http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/art/San-Remo-s-vest-363326393

http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/art/Close-up-378201967

http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/art/San-Remo-work-in-progress-377944244

And here's the leatherwork:
http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/art/San-Remo-s-blasters-396429299

http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/art/Blaster-harness-close-up-396429714

http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/art/San-Remo-s-leather-399699771
http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/art/Close-up-378201967

One more tidbit- here's a bracelet I made to go with it:
http://ladyamanita.deviantart.com/art/San-Remo-s-bracelet-404835810

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 05:02:10 PM »
Piratelvr, could you see the picture?  It's blocked out in your quote, but I can see it in my post.

Oh, that.  Don't mind that, it's another item for "drives me up the wall".  I'm typing on a netbook sized laptop, my hands always manage to bump the cursor somewhere else in the midst of typing. I accidentally added a few letters to the address and apparently didn't delete them all.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

EllenS

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 05:06:59 PM »
Wow, Amanita, those are amazing.

I usually go with "colorful shirt + facepaint+something on my head".  Red shirt plus red & black circles on cheeks, antennae = ladybug. Orange shirt + small bobble ponytails + "Cats" style facepaint = lion.

I have to LO's so most of the effort goes into their costumes.  I just answer the door and give out the candy.  I did scare the bejeebers out of my kids with the lion facepaint though - did it while they were gone T&T'ing and roared at them when they got back.  Bad mommy.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 06:05:48 PM »
Well, my old standby is an Ancient Greek costume made from a single bedsheet. Pretty cheap and very easy to customise! In the past, I've been:

- Medusa (with the addition of a few toy snakes in my hair)
- Clytemnestra (drenched in fake blood)
- Persephone (with a black cloak and crown of dried flowers)
- Athena (with a cardboard breast plate and stuffed toy owl)

Ten feet (just over three yards or fairly close to 3 meters) of green fabric with silver trim (rick rack, metallic braid, etc.) and I was Ceres.  Gold might have been better (color of grain) but I was going for the metal that they had all the sizes that I needed for the costume in stock.  Greek chitons are easy - they do work better with fabric with more drape rather than stiff fabrics.  I also found a small silver sequined "crown" in with the kids' costume stuff to use as a stephane - with the silver cord, my hair was styling.  I was also pregnant - so Ceres was a good choice. 

Same silver trim and pink fabric and I was Aphrodite (I forget if I was Aphrodite first or reusing the silver to be Ceres).

The same silver cord is now lacing a green over dress to be worn to the Renn Faire (and Ambrosia Hino, the baby I was carrying when I was Ceres, is now also a mother...).  Hmm...wonder if I can get them to dress up as Hades & Persephone?  But since Persephone never got pregnant (at least not in any mythology I ever heard of) - what do we do with Wonderful GrandSon for a costume?  I am just pedant enough to want to stick to the "original canon" rather than start making stuff up.....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 06:18:40 PM »
Well, my old standby is an Ancient Greek costume made from a single bedsheet. Pretty cheap and very easy to customise! In the past, I've been:

Ten feet (just over three yards or fairly close to 3 meters) of green fabric with silver trim (rick rack, metallic braid, etc.) and I was Ceres.  Gold might have been better (color of grain) but I was going for the metal that they had all the sizes that I needed for the costume in stock.  Greek chitons are easy - they do work better with fabric with more drape rather than stiff fabrics.  I also found a small silver sequined "crown" in with the kids' costume stuff to use as a stephane - with the silver cord, my hair was styling.  I was also pregnant - so Ceres was a good choice. 

Same silver trim and pink fabric and I was Aphrodite (I forget if I was Aphrodite first or reusing the silver to be Ceres).

The same silver cord is now lacing a green over dress to be worn to the Renn Faire (and Ambrosia Hino, the baby I was carrying when I was Ceres, is now also a mother...).  Hmm...wonder if I can get them to dress up as Hades & Persephone?  But since Persephone never got pregnant (at least not in any mythology I ever heard of) - what do we do with Wonderful GrandSon for a costume?  I am just pedant enough to want to stick to the "original canon" rather than start making stuff up.....
Dress him as a pomegranate?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 06:20:11 PM »

He's about to turn three - that is going to be one BIG pomegranate!

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »

Little Hermes? He was sent to fetch her home to Ceres.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 06:37:23 PM »
I have this Maleficent costume and staff: http://www.ecrater.com/p/565291/disney-maleficent-costume-for-women-size-l-on?gps=1&id=55138122859

I also have a Force FX lightsaber that changes colors by flipping a switch, green, blue and red. We have a Darth Maul cloak and last year I went to work as a Jedi. I wore knee high riding boots, jeans, a black tee and the cloak. It works great.

DH had an old chef's jacket that had stains, so we used fake blood to stain it more and cut a plastic knife in half. We had it sticking out of his back. It was great and people were amazed! I was a vampire in a long red dress and dark makeup.

Son bought a very expensive mask and wears it every year.

This year, I have a black lace broomstick skirt which will be worn with a long sleeved gray shirt covered in cobwebs and a black witch hat with attached lime green hair. The only thing I bought was the hat and the cobwebs.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 06:46:39 PM »

Little Hermes? He was sent to fetch her home to Ceres.

That might work - or someone working for Hades with a pomegranate on a platter...maybe a couple of other fruits, I'd have to double check the legend....

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 07:34:39 PM »
Wow, Amanita, those are amazing.

I usually go with "colorful shirt + facepaint+something on my head".  Red shirt plus red & black circles on cheeks, antennae = ladybug. Orange shirt + small bobble ponytails + "Cats" style facepaint = lion.

I have to LO's so most of the effort goes into their costumes.  I just answer the door and give out the candy.  I did scare the bejeebers out of my kids with the lion facepaint though - did it while they were gone T&T'ing and roared at them when they got back.  Bad mommy.
Three years ago I still had long hair.  As in 'almost knee length hair.'  Normally I kept it in braids, but for Halloween I brushed it all out and forward, then sat on the steps so that nothing showed but hair.  Kind of like Cousin Itt. :)  The candy was in a bowl on my lap.  When a kid came up the walk, held up the bag, and said "Trick or Treat" a candy bar would slooooowly appear from the hair.  I heard several comments about how spooky that was, and one or two littles were afraid to step forward and take it.  That was when I broke character, pulled the hair far enough forward so that the kids could see me, and held it out as normal.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »
I have never used my historical garb for Halloween before; it always felt like cheating.  However, I have a black medieval velvet thing with angel-wing sleeves that I might use this year.  I'm going to a party that will involve about a dozen meetup groups and I will go as one of my favorite opera characters.  Brunhilde is out because that was last year.  My choices this year (decision to come by end of week) are:

Isolde
Tosca
Carmen
Amneris
Giulietta (from Tales of Hoffman)

Jones

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 09:43:54 PM »
I feel like I cheated this year but I'm very happy with my non-sexy Spyro costume I got on eBay.

I told DH he could borrow my brown dress, put on his brown boots, wear a cape and bunny ears and be Bianca, but he was less than impressed with the idea.

He did quit suggesting that my newly fit bod would go great in a sexy costume this year, though. Probably worried I'd suggest he should put on the Spyro onesie.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 10:18:15 PM »
I try not to use my Ren Faire garb for Halloween, though sometimes I'll used bits and pieces of it. (A bodice or a cloak can come in handy for lots of costumes.) Any time I get something for a costume, it stays in my costume closet to be reused in other parts. I have a poodle skirt, a toga, a red cape, etc. It's fun to pull stuff together sometimes.

Last year I was Athena. Toga, plastic Roman war helmet (couldn't find a Greek one), a toy spear, and a little stuffed owl on my shoulder.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 10:21:02 PM »
DH had this costume commissioned for me and it's a very nice costume and kind of too bad I can't wear it anymore considering how much he paid for it.  Course no one knew who I was because no one else had seen Ah My Goddess.

Not the best picture but here's me as the Depp version of Wonka:

And the costume I made when my oldest wanted to be Edward Scissorhands one year.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 10:23:20 PM by Piratelvr1121 »
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata