Author Topic: Halloween Costumes: Yours  (Read 10239 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: Halloween Costumes: Yours
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2013, 11:13:38 PM »
For kids' cotumes, I had the puffiest clowns and and the chubiest witches in the world. Then when the holiday was a bit warm, they still managed look a bit sagggy but still OK. Yes, I  sewed their costumes with sweatshirts or snow jackets in mind. And, because the kids were two years apart, the costumes managed to last for about four years! Then, passed down to my sister in law. Still proud, however, the kids never asked me for my secrets, so I guess I wasn't so good after all.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 11:16:45 PM »
I am going to be Amy Pond this year :D

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »
An inexpensive and weatherproof costume for a child or an adult could be a Christmas tree. 

Get a green plastic tablecloth or shower curtain.  Fold it in half and have the child lie on it with arms outstretched. 

Trace an arc from wrist to wrist.  Cut out the circle and make a t-slit along the fold for the head.

A conical party hat with a styrofoam ball can form the angel for the top of the tree.

Attach left-overs from the cutting to the hat to form a hood going down to the shoulders. 

Decorate with garland and light-weight plastic ornaments. 

The beauty of this is that, if the weather is warm, it can be worn over a t-shirt and shorts.  If the weather is cold, the costume fits easily over a coat. 

« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 08:26:43 AM by Thipu1 »

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2013, 08:23:07 AM »
For kids' cotumes, I had the puffiest clowns and and the chubiest witches in the world. Then when the holiday was a bit warm, they still managed look a bit sagggy but still OK. Yes, I  sewed their costumes with sweatshirts or snow jackets in mind. And, because the kids were two years apart, the costumes managed to last for about four years! Then, passed down to my sister in law. Still proud, however, the kids never asked me for my secrets, so I guess I wasn't so good after all.

I had a friend who lived in Alaska for a while. She remembered always hating having to cover up her pretty costume with a snowsuit for trick or treating. So she made her daughter a big oversized princess dress that could go over the snowsuit instead. It was used for dress-up for years after. :)

cwm

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2013, 03:54:34 PM »
This year I'm going to be Clara Oswin Oswald. BF is going to be Eleven. We're actually going to a party where prizes are awarded for costumes.

In the past, I've appropriated my grandma's witch dress. It was designed and made for her when she was the Wicked Witch of the West in a play, and she got to keep it. Amazing quality, it fit me very well, and it's lasted for decades.

Of course, my favorite was the second year I was in college. I was part of a Renaissance fencing club, so I had a perfect outfit. I switched out my pants for a bright skirt, bought some doll hair, hot glued it to some big socks, and went as a hobbit.

flowersintheattic

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2013, 05:09:19 PM »
My husband and I generally do group costumes or a couples costume. A few years ago, he had a group "Old-School WWF Wrestlers" costume with friends, where he was the Ultimate Warrior. Two years ago, we did a group "Clue" costume - I was Mrs. Peacock, he was Professor Plum, and we had friends who were Miss Scarlett and Mr. Green (unfortunately, we couldn't find two more people to complete the set). This year, we're going to be Walter White and Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad.

For Halloween, we generally go with items we already have or from the Goodwill. I like to spend minimal money on costumes. :)
...I learned my lesson / And yes, I still remember the last one / But this time will be different / Until I do it again... ~Phish, "Kill Devil Falls"

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2013, 05:10:57 PM »
A few years ago, I found a U-Haul uniform shirt at Goodwill. I wore it with khakis, and carried a dozen roses. I was a second date.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

Ferrets

• "Rugby referees are like bees. They communicate through interpretative dance movements."
  • Dych chi'n moyn dishgled?
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2013, 05:23:18 PM »
A few years ago, I found a U-Haul uniform shirt at Goodwill. I wore it with khakis, and carried a dozen roses. I was a second date.

*snerk* ;D

magicdomino

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2013, 05:28:52 PM »
Well, my old standby is an Ancient Greek costume made from a single bedsheet. Pretty cheap and very easy to customise! In the past, I've been:

- Medusa (with the addition of a few toy snakes in my hair)
- Clytemnestra (drenched in fake blood)
- Persephone (with a black cloak and crown of dried flowers)
- Athena (with a cardboard breast plate and stuffed toy owl)

Ten feet (just over three yards or fairly close to 3 meters) of green fabric with silver trim (rick rack, metallic braid, etc.) and I was Ceres.  Gold might have been better (color of grain) but I was going for the metal that they had all the sizes that I needed for the costume in stock.  Greek chitons are easy - they do work better with fabric with more drape rather than stiff fabrics.  I also found a small silver sequined "crown" in with the kids' costume stuff to use as a stephane - with the silver cord, my hair was styling.  I was also pregnant - so Ceres was a good choice. 

Same silver trim and pink fabric and I was Aphrodite (I forget if I was Aphrodite first or reusing the silver to be Ceres).

The same silver cord is now lacing a green over dress to be worn to the Renn Faire (and Ambrosia Hino, the baby I was carrying when I was Ceres, is now also a mother...).  Hmm...wonder if I can get them to dress up as Hades & Persephone?  But since Persephone never got pregnant (at least not in any mythology I ever heard of) - what do we do with Wonderful GrandSon for a costume?  I am just pedant enough to want to stick to the "original canon" rather than start making stuff up.....

Cerberus the three-headed puppy?  A brown hoodie with floppy puppy ears would work for the main head, but I'm not sure how you would do the other two heads.  Decapitating toy dogs might upset a three-year-old. 

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2013, 06:02:45 PM »
*snerk* ;D

Yay! Someone got it!
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

EllenS

• I write whimsical vintage mysteries.
    • My Author Page:
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
Well, my old standby is an Ancient Greek costume made from a single bedsheet. Pretty cheap and very easy to customise! In the past, I've been:

- Medusa (with the addition of a few toy snakes in my hair)
- Clytemnestra (drenched in fake blood)
- Persephone (with a black cloak and crown of dried flowers)
- Athena (with a cardboard breast plate and stuffed toy owl)

Ten feet (just over three yards or fairly close to 3 meters) of green fabric with silver trim (rick rack, metallic braid, etc.) and I was Ceres.  Gold might have been better (color of grain) but I was going for the metal that they had all the sizes that I needed for the costume in stock.  Greek chitons are easy - they do work better with fabric with more drape rather than stiff fabrics.  I also found a small silver sequined "crown" in with the kids' costume stuff to use as a stephane - with the silver cord, my hair was styling.  I was also pregnant - so Ceres was a good choice. 

Same silver trim and pink fabric and I was Aphrodite (I forget if I was Aphrodite first or reusing the silver to be Ceres).

The same silver cord is now lacing a green over dress to be worn to the Renn Faire (and Ambrosia Hino, the baby I was carrying when I was Ceres, is now also a mother...).  Hmm...wonder if I can get them to dress up as Hades & Persephone?  But since Persephone never got pregnant (at least not in any mythology I ever heard of) - what do we do with Wonderful GrandSon for a costume?  I am just pedant enough to want to stick to the "original canon" rather than start making stuff up.....

Cerberus the three-headed puppy?  A brown hoodie with floppy puppy ears would work for the main head, but I'm not sure how you would do the other two heads.  Decapitating toy dogs might upset a three-year-old.

SOCK PUPPET PUPPY HEADS!
                www.ellenseltz.com

Hillia

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2013, 07:13:32 PM »
DS about age 3.  He was the gingerbread man.  (yes, I inflicted that haircut on him.)

http://s734.photobucket.com/user/mrs_hill_pix/media/halloween.jpg.html

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2013, 07:26:55 PM »
And one of the heads can be holding a pomegranate in its teeth!

Now to see what the kids think (grandkid will probably LOVE being a dog - they have two).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Shea

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2013, 10:28:54 PM »
I'm going to be Mal from Firefly, using the costume I have from several years ago. I considered being the Fourth Doctor, since I recently cut my (quite curly) hair short, but I didn't think of it in time to make a suitably ginormous scarf ;). Next year!

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

sunnygirl

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2013, 06:18:41 AM »
Last year I didn't have time to buy/make a costume, so I re-used my bunny costume from Easter, daubed it with fake blood and added some plastic vampire fangs, and went as the Killer Bunny of Caerbannog. Except my boss didn't wear a costume so I wound up forcing him to wear my ears and fluffy tail so at least he'd have something.

My work always throws a big Christmas costume party in early December that is themed (e.g. sci-fi, fairytale - last year was Prom Night so I decided to go as the horror movie Prom Night) and they announce the theme in October because people get very competitive over costumes and need time to work on them, so I often double up my costume from that for Halloween.