Author Topic: Halloween Costumes: Yours  (Read 9430 times)

sidi-ji

Re: Halloween Costumes: Yours
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 06:26:37 AM »
@ Hillia:  ooh, so cute!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 07:31:29 AM »
Last year I didn't have time to buy/make a costume, so I re-used my bunny costume from Easter, daubed it with fake blood and added some plastic vampire fangs, and went as the Killer Bunny of Caerbannog. Except my boss didn't wear a costume so I wound up forcing him to wear my ears and fluffy tail so at least he'd have something.

My work always throws a big Christmas costume party in early December that is themed (e.g. sci-fi, fairytale - last year was Prom Night so I decided to go as the horror movie Prom Night) and they announce the theme in October because people get very competitive over costumes and need time to work on them, so I often double up my costume from that for Halloween.

LOVE!!!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

cwm

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 10:08:22 AM »
My husband and I generally do group costumes or a couples costume. A few years ago, he had a group "Old-School WWF Wrestlers" costume with friends, where he was the Ultimate Warrior. Two years ago, we did a group "Clue" costume - I was Mrs. Peacock, he was Professor Plum, and we had friends who were Miss Scarlett and Mr. Green (unfortunately, we couldn't find two more people to complete the set). This year, we're going to be Walter White and Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad.

For Halloween, we generally go with items we already have or from the Goodwill. I like to spend minimal money on costumes. :)

This is how I do Halloween. One year my sister and I got raw fabric and I sewed it into loose drapey dresses. We went as Demeter and Persephone. I think it cost maybe $35 for both of our costumes, including the accessories. We actually won a competition at an improv show with them, and I learned a lot about sewing at that point. It was fun.

This year's was a thrift store find. The dress (which I had to modify, but it's DONE!) and the leather jacket. I had to go buy leggings, and I had the shoes, so it's going to be fantastic.

deadbody

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:26 AM »
We try to be creative.  This year I am going simple for the cheap laugh.

Tying a bow around myself and adding a large gift tag

To: Women

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
My husband and I generally do group costumes or a couples costume. A few years ago, he had a group "Old-School WWF Wrestlers" costume with friends, where he was the Ultimate Warrior. Two years ago, we did a group "Clue" costume - I was Mrs. Peacock, he was Professor Plum, and we had friends who were Miss Scarlett and Mr. Green (unfortunately, we couldn't find two more people to complete the set). This year, we're going to be Walter White and Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad.

For Halloween, we generally go with items we already have or from the Goodwill. I like to spend minimal money on costumes. :)

This is how I do Halloween. One year my sister and I got raw fabric and I sewed it into loose drapey dresses. We went as Demeter and Persephone. I think it cost maybe $35 for both of our costumes, including the accessories. We actually won a competition at an improv show with them, and I learned a lot about sewing at that point. It was fun.

This year's was a thrift store find. The dress (which I had to modify, but it's DONE!) and the leather jacket. I had to go buy leggings, and I had the shoes, so it's going to be fantastic.

The little guy is going to be a minion.  I have overalls and a long sleeved yellow shirt, I'm just not sure how I'm going to pull off the goggles when he doesn't like anything on his head and can't imagine he'd stay still long enough for me to paint them on with makeup. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2013, 10:55:29 AM »

Thanks for the laugh and the image. Are you going to wear clothing or go au natural?

cwm

« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »

I had a friend who did that one year. He dressed and acted like a sleazy used car salesman to boot. It came off so well for him that he was going to do it again the next year, but we convinced him that once was enough.

faithlessone

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 12:54:19 PM »

Hehe, a friend of mine did that a couple of years ago. It was made even more funny by his best friend, who had a "Hello, My Name Is" sticker with "God" written on it. He went around apologising to all the girls! Big hit. ;D

Angel B.

« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 05:13:48 AM »
I'm bad and I always buy my costume. Halloween is my favorite holiday and I go all out. The selection where I am is limited(Asia) so I had to spend quite a bit(over 100 US) but I'm hoping it will be worth it...I'm going to be Zorro. I had to go to a special store to get Western sized costume!

My collection is always growing though, and I've been Wonder Woman, Peter Pan, Tinker Bell, Little Red Riding Hood(another year of limited selection), Warrior Princess, Belly Dancer...
My greatest treasure is love beyond measure.
-Il barbiere di Siviglia

Ghosty

« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2013, 05:42:11 AM »
My costume is a huge cardboard box papier mached with a happy monster face on one side.
One "tooth" in the face is a drawer that opens I will hide inside and put candy bars in that drawer for Tricky Treaters.

The big fella is going to be Papa Legba in a thrifted Tux, decorated top-hat, one lense sunglasses and skull facepaint.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2013, 06:41:55 AM »
Just wanted to say: I have  everything for my costume. I just have to get the wig cut. Yaaaay! Also: Are we going to be posting pictures this year?

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #56 on: October 17, 2013, 07:12:36 AM »
Not mine, but found on Imgur (warning: one mildly NSFW word in the comments section):

http://imgur.com/gallery/aekqN

mmswm

« Reply #57 on: October 17, 2013, 02:13:06 PM »
I'm searching for mirrors from an old 60's/70's era pick up truck.  When I get them, I'm going to weld them, plus some hubcaps and some old fence posts to my youngest's old wheelchair.  He's going as a truck driver.  The chair is getting turned into the tractor part of a semi. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: October 17, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »
I'm searching for mirrors from an old 60's/70's era pick up truck.  When I get them, I'm going to weld them, plus some hubcaps and some old fence posts to my youngest's old wheelchair.  He's going as a truck driver.  The chair is getting turned into the tractor part of a semi.

I can't seem to find it now but there was a wonderful picture of a little boy in a wheelchair.  It was disguised as an ice cream truck and the kid was the ice cream man.  it was funny, inventive and adorable. 

mmswm

« Reply #59 on: October 17, 2013, 02:35:33 PM »

I can't seem to find it now but there was a wonderful picture of a little boy in a wheelchair.  It was disguised as an ice cream truck and the kid was the ice cream man.  it was funny, inventive and adorable.

That's kind of the idea here.  I'm going to bend the old fence post so they look like the exhaust stacks and weld them to the back of the chair.  Then I'll weld some hubcaps to the grab bar part of the wheels and the mirrors from the older pick ups look enough like truck mirrors to round out the look (plus they're small enough not to overwhelm the chair).  Then I'll paint some made up company name on the sides along with a fake DOT number and our city, just like you see on the doors of trucks.  I thought about trying to rig a trailer of some sort, but my ex-boyfriend, who is a trucker, suggested telling him to tell people that he was "bobtailing" for trick or treating purposes.  Bobtailing is, of course, what truckers call it when they're driving without a trailer attached. I will post pictures when I'm done. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)