Author Topic: Halloween Costumes: Yours  (Read 10305 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Halloween Costumes: Yours
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2013, 02:38:36 PM »
You are an awesome mom!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2013, 02:47:06 PM »
We always assemble ours from odds and ends from what we have. One year, when I was in high school, my great-grandma and I made a renaissance styled dress for me. We made it out of corduroy (because it was less expensive) and oh my was it time consuming. Turned out quiet nice, but very time consuming.

Last year at a post-Halloween sale we bought these "naughty" nurse costumes. They were actually black and kind of satin like, vs. the white pleather I always see around. So we're going as dead nurses this year. The back story (because we always create one), is that we worked in an insane asylum and were brutally killed by an escaped mental patient, now on Halloween we come back to wreck havoc and "search" for the patient who killed us. This made better by the fact that one of our friends is going as an escaped mental patient (he's wearing a fake straight jacket and pj pants) so he'll be the one we're "searching" for.

My favorite year we dressed up with my BFF as the witches from Hocus-Pocus.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2013, 02:57:48 PM »
One neighborhood kid a few years ago did something that was both inexpensive and awesome.  He dressed up as sushi.   

He was a piece of California Roll and the costume was sort of a sandwich board.  Large circles of poster board were cut and painted to resemble the faux crab, avocado and celery.  Plastic packing peanuts were glued on to simulate the rice.  The seaweed on the outside was made from a black, plastic trash bag with holes cut for the arms. 

It was perfect because the child didn't have to worry about the temperature on Halloween.  Whatever he needed to wear under it, he could wear and his costume was still immediately identifiable. 

mmswm

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
You are an awesome mom!

*blush*

Thanks.  I'm just glad I've got the dad I've got.  How many other people have such easy access to a welder!  It makes projects like this so much easier. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2013, 03:05:49 PM »
We always assemble ours from odds and ends from what we have. One year, when I was in high school, my great-grandma and I made a renaissance styled dress for me. We made it out of corduroy (because it was less expensive) and oh my was it time consuming. Turned out quiet nice, but very time consuming.
Actually, corduroy is fairly authentic for Renaissance garb.  It's not quite a noble's velvets, but it is a good middle-class attempt around various sumptuary laws.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »
I'm searching for mirrors from an old 60's/70's era pick up truck.  When I get them, I'm going to weld them, plus some hubcaps and some old fence posts to my youngest's old wheelchair.  He's going as a truck driver.  The chair is getting turned into the tractor part of a semi.

I can't seem to find it now but there was a wonderful picture of a little boy in a wheelchair.  It was disguised as an ice cream truck and the kid was the ice cream man.  it was funny, inventive and adorable.

That's kind of the idea here.  I'm going to bend the old fence post so they look like the exhaust stacks and weld them to the back of the chair.  Then I'll weld some hubcaps to the grab bar part of the wheels and the mirrors from the older pick ups look enough like truck mirrors to round out the look (plus they're small enough not to overwhelm the chair).  Then I'll paint some made up company name on the sides along with a fake DOT number and our city, just like you see on the doors of trucks.  I thought about trying to rig a trailer of some sort, but my ex-boyfriend, who is a trucker, suggested telling him to tell people that he was "bobtailing" for trick or treating purposes.  Bobtailing is, of course, what truckers call it when they're driving without a trailer attached. I will post pictures when I'm done. :)

The 80s cartoon geek in me says make the semi cab look like Optimus Prime.  :D

mmswm

« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2013, 04:33:24 PM »
I'm searching for mirrors from an old 60's/70's era pick up truck.  When I get them, I'm going to weld them, plus some hubcaps and some old fence posts to my youngest's old wheelchair.  He's going as a truck driver.  The chair is getting turned into the tractor part of a semi.

I can't seem to find it now but there was a wonderful picture of a little boy in a wheelchair.  It was disguised as an ice cream truck and the kid was the ice cream man.  it was funny, inventive and adorable.

That's kind of the idea here.  I'm going to bend the old fence post so they look like the exhaust stacks and weld them to the back of the chair.  Then I'll weld some hubcaps to the grab bar part of the wheels and the mirrors from the older pick ups look enough like truck mirrors to round out the look (plus they're small enough not to overwhelm the chair).  Then I'll paint some made up company name on the sides along with a fake DOT number and our city, just like you see on the doors of trucks.  I thought about trying to rig a trailer of some sort, but my ex-boyfriend, who is a trucker, suggested telling him to tell people that he was "bobtailing" for trick or treating purposes.  Bobtailing is, of course, what truckers call it when they're driving without a trailer attached. I will post pictures when I'm done. :)

The 80s cartoon geek in me says make the semi cab look like Optimus Prime.  :D

That would be awesome, but I think that would be beyond my creative abilities.  I can manage a welder, clamps and paint stencils, but beyond that, I'm no good.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

cwm

« Reply #67 on: October 18, 2013, 09:46:38 AM »
Just wanted to say: I have  everything for my costume. I just have to get the wig cut. Yaaaay! Also: Are we going to be posting pictures this year?

YAY wig cutting! I just have to figure out how to do my hair. Test today, party tomorrow, so I've got aroundabout 24 hours to find pictures online, figure out how it's done, and learn how to do it to myself. Also, helping friend move tomorrow morning, so less time.

But I will be posting pictures, for sure. Tried on my costume in full on Wednesday and it's looking fantastic. And I learned how to tie BF's tie for him. Bow ties are apparently beyond what he can grasp and make look nice easily.

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2013, 09:52:51 AM »
My costume is fascinating already!

Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

magicdomino

« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »
My costume is fascinating already!

Look, Mom's going as a bowl of spaghetti!

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2013, 12:06:25 PM »

That is awesome! :):)  Last year I saw parents who had made a wagon into a steam engine.  I may think about that for next year since the littlest one LOVES trains.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2013, 12:16:29 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I don't think it warrants a whole thread....

I was going to dress the dogs as super heroes, but I also wanted to try to dress them in costumes that would fit in with a trucker theme to go with the trucker costume.  A friend suggested making the big dog a tow truck and the little dog a small car.  Another friend suggested going with an "A-Team" theme and making the big dog the trailer and the little dog the car (I forget the name of the car).  I love both ideas, but I have no clue how to make those kinds of costumes for dogs.  I need help. Another site came up with a great list of suggestions for costumes, but no creative help on how to actually do it.  Anybody have any thoughts?  Here's a picture of the dogs:

The picture is almost a year old and the big dog was still a puppy.  He's about 50 pounds bigger now.  The little dog has lost a little weight and isn't so tubby, but roughly the same size.

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2013, 01:46:20 PM »

That is awesome! :):)  Last year I saw parents who had made a wagon into a steam engine.  I may think about that for next year since the littlest one LOVES trains.

I saw the cutest picture the other day with a kid dressed as a mouse, riding in a wagon decorated as a mousetrap!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I don't think it warrants a whole thread....

I was going to dress the dogs as super heroes, but I also wanted to try to dress them in costumes that would fit in with a trucker theme to go with the trucker costume.  A friend suggested making the big dog a tow truck and the little dog a small car.  Another friend suggested going with an "A-Team" theme and making the big dog the trailer and the little dog the car (I forget the name of the car).  I love both ideas, but I have no clue how to make those kinds of costumes for dogs.  I need help. Another site came up with a great list of suggestions for costumes, but no creative help on how to actually do it.  Anybody have any thoughts?  Here's a picture of the dogs:

The picture is almost a year old and the big dog was still a puppy.  He's about 50 pounds bigger now.  The little dog has lost a little weight and isn't so tubby, but roughly the same size.

I think you're thinking of Knight Rider (the Trans-Am's name is KITT).  The A-Team just had a black w/red stripe GMC full-sized van.

mmswm

« Reply #74 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35:07 PM »

I think you're thinking of Knight Rider (the Trans-Am's name is KITT).  The A-Team just had a black w/red stripe GMC full-sized van.

You are right.  I claim brain-dead syndrome this morning.  It's been a long week.