Author Topic: Halloween Costumes: Yours  (Read 10304 times)

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
Halloween Costumes: Yours
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
What sorts of Halloween costumes do you wear?  Do you make them, assemble them from ostensibly non-Halloween things that you buy, made, or inherited?  Do you have a theme?

My answers will follow later.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
  • Super Hero!
Re: Halloween Costumes: Yours
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:01:51 AM »
Like I said in the other thread- this year, black t-shirt and broomstick skirt, Renn Faire plaid corset, metallic ram's horns.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:05:06 AM »
I make ours. This year The Sweetie and I are going as competing deities: I'm going as Flying Spaghetti Monster, and she'll be Jehovah.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

mmswm

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »
I've gotten a better hat since then, and it's a really bad picture of me, but this is the cloak I wear every year.

Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 11:26:31 AM »
I assemble costumes from elements I wear in real life. 

A white broomstick skirt and a plain, white linen top worked for years with different accessories that I already own. 

One year, a leather belt with an attached pouch, a plaid shawl, a lunette necklace  and a wreath of dried flowers from a Ren Faire turned the outfit into a Druid with the addition of a long, curly, red wig. 

Another year, the addition of a sash, a different shawl, different jewelry and a long, curly black wig turned the outfit into a reasonable facsimile of an Egyptian lady from the New Kingdom. 

The outfits were comfortable because they were clothes I wore in ordinary life.  Both won prizes at Halloween parties and the only things I had to buy were the wigs  that cost 10USD each. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:29:49 AM »
One year I wore my black leather jacket, black paratrooper boots, jeans, white face paint (with a black star over one eye), some green temporary hair dye, and I used my guitar (that some day I swear I will learn to play...) as a prop and gave out candy as a KISS-style rocker.

nuit93

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 01:32:09 PM »
My sweetie and I are going as Charlie Brown and the Little Red-Haired Girl.  I even found the perfect vintage dress (no small feat since I'm a size 16/18!).

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »
I've gotten a better hat since then, and it's a really bad picture of me, but this is the cloak I wear every year.

I finally gave up on the plum colored witch hat I once bought from Target a couple years ago, it was simply too small but otherwise I loved it, but I think I might have just gotten the wrong size.  Will have to get another.

I'm hoping there's a green or orange hat with a lacy veil left when I go to pick one up.  I currently have a nice knit sleeved shawl that is rather witchy. :) Will take a picture when I get the bits together. :D
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

mmswm

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 02:14:17 PM »
Piratelvr, could you see the picture?  It's blocked out in your quote, but I can see it in my post. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »
Piratelvr, check the IMG and URL tags in your post; that's why the image isn't showing up.
Using a chainsaw is as close as we come to having a lightsaber in this life.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 02:28:15 PM »
I have several Renn Faire outfits, also Halloween costume versions of a gypsy outfit (sheer overskirt that no real gypsy would be seen in), a red "devil" dress (I suppose a Scarlet Witch could also wear it - just not the Marvel tm version!), and the white apron &  accessories to turn a regular black dress into a maid's costume. 

I found out after I got the largest sizes on the rack that costumes LIE when they say that they fit a certain size - they run at least one size smaller than they say and two sizes smaller unless you LIKE the way that a sausage skin fits...

Fortunately the apron & little cap are "one size fits most"!  The gypsy & red devil dress - just do not fit anymore (they were snug at the time and I did not manage to stay at my "smallest" size for seven years after I bought them).

Using what I have or can find in the local thrift stores (they are made from better quality fabrics, not thin "cheap" knit fabric and will last more than one or two years).  I have a thirty-plus year old pirate/male gypsy/genie costume (depends on which parts you wear, which you leave off (the shirt is left off for the genie), and the accessories - the gypsy & genie do not use the hook or the eye patch).  It does need the elastic replaced in the pants' waistband & knees and at the wrists of the shirt.  Otherwise - the "real" cotton & ******* blend fabric has held up well.

Now, the Tarzan costume from a couple of years later is in great shape (faux suede and VorGuy's jungle knife from his tour in Viet Nam - peace tied if he were to try wearing it anywhere NOW, or replaced with a plastic version - plastic knives weren't available when I was setting up "his & hers costumes" for a Valentine party, though - they were gone after Halloween until late September or even early October - it was 1979).  But VorGuy is not interested in wearing a loincloth, with or without a knife - and I have no idea what happened to my faux suede bikini & hip skirt with brass D-rings to allow it to be worn as a very short dress over one shoulder or a longer slit skirt on my hips - Ambrosia Hino might have played dress up in it a few years later, I don't remember!

There are two vampire capes in the closet and one "ghoul face" robe with bloody mask (some movie that I didn't watch) for the guys.  And VorSon's sewn but not embroidered yet robe....based on a kimono. He wears it to Renn Faires and to pass out candy...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

faithlessone

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
Well, my old standby is an Ancient Greek costume made from a single bedsheet. Pretty cheap and very easy to customise! In the past, I've been:

- Medusa (with the addition of a few toy snakes in my hair)
- Clytemnestra (drenched in fake blood)
- Persephone (with a black cloak and crown of dried flowers)
- Athena (with a cardboard breast plate and stuffed toy owl)

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 02:48:55 PM »
I have a ton of costumes (a whole garment rack's worth). Almost all are "real clothes" not those costumes that come in packages, but some certainly are costumes, just high quality. Other items are regular clothes just modified or when worn with the other stuff they become costumes. These range from poodle skirt and crinoline, to Renaissance queen, to Grim reaper, etc, plus lots of accessories - assorted sets of wings, various vests, capes and cloaks, lots of hats, etc. I never use a full face mask and always advise others to avoid them as well. Its not that they don't look awesome, but rather a question of being practical - people just about always take off a mask to eat or drink, or because they are hot, sweaty and hard to see through, so mask costumes inevitably become half costumes an hour after you arrive at the party/bar/where ever. half face masks, face paint and prosthetics are all all IMO better options.

My personal rule though is I am never someone else. When I'm a witch, I'm not "the Wicked Witch of the West" I'm Willy the Witch. If I'm a pop star I'm not "Madonna" or "Lady Gaga" or whomever, I'm Willy the Pop Star. Etc. I also prefer scary or creepy or dead costumes, not the currently popular trend of sexy. I appreciate funny costumes on others though.

half_dollars

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
This year, DD(5) is going as Dorothy, but as a Dorothy in a princess dress.  ODS(7) is the scarecrow.  YDS(2) is the lion. DH will be the tin man, wearing a shirt with a red heart and "Sn" (element symbol for tin) in the heart (I think that's pretty clever!).  DD's doll (a Twinn doll that looks like her) is Glinda.  If I have enough time after finishing everyone else's costumes, I'll be the wicked witch.  I cannot wait for these pictures!  The older 2 have been planning this for months, ever since they saw the Wizard of Oz at the ballet.

Last year, ODS was a pirate and YDS was his parrot.  DD and her Twinn doll wore similar fairy outfits.

2 years ago, the older 2 were Things 1 & 2, the baby was fish, and I was the cat in the hat.  Those costumes have been my favorite so far.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 03:10:06 PM »
Italian Ren all the way!  (Lots more comfortable than other period clothing that requires a corset to look right.) I have one that cost me all of $20.  The locally-owned fabric shop was changing to a quilt shop, so they were selling most of their other fabrics for $1 yard.  I got two bolt-ends, each about 2 yards, a warm brown velveteen and a turquoise blue brocade, and a yard of cream silk.  Sleeves are brocade, the undersleeve is cream, bodice is velveteen, and the skirt is box-pleated with velveteen on the outside and brocade underneath.  The rest of the $20 went for trim.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~