Author Topic: Asking for "donations" instead of Christmas gifts  (Read 5282 times)

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
Re: Asking for "donations" instead of Christmas gifts
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
I agree with Hmmmmm and GlitterIsMyDrug--first find out if gifts are indeed being exchanged; if they are, then make a casual suggestion for a pet store gift card "or here's a link to my Amazon wish list" of pet items.

With the initial wording, I would be very put off, for reasons others mentioned. I didn't even pick up at first that the gifts were not really donations to an animal shelter, they are gifts to you to be used for the pets you have chosen to take in. Which is a great thing to do, but the initial wording seemed a bit high-handed.

I would try to be more casual about it, wait until asked or at least until gift-giving intentions have been established, and not go into the details of your wants--some people would like baking supplies, some people would like books, you would like pet supplies. It's stuff for your hobby/interest, like everyone would like to get.
~Lynn2000

buvezdevin

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
I would not, personally, welcome the idea that I support anyone's personal efforts at charitable endeavors as a gift, outside a recognized charitable organized effort.  I will happily gift an individual a contribution to their preferred charity (if it is not at odds with my philosophy).  If you want friends/family to support your objectives, *and* you have a situation in which others are actively soliciting gift suggestions, you can suggest they donate to a cause you support in your name, or provide a gift card to you to supplement your individual efforts.
Never refuse to do a kindness unless the act would work great injury to yourself, and never refuse to take a drink -- under any circumstances.
Mark Twain

kareng57

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 10:47:23 PM »
I very much agree with Glitter... - the suggested gift is not a donation at all.  You might be caring for these animals in your home, but you are not a registered charity.  It's not at all comparable to donations in lieu of flowers at a funeral/memorial service.

Definitely do not give the suggestion until asked.  And even if you are given a gift-card to a department store as opposed to a pet store - most department stores have plenty of pet items.

flickan

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 10:51:40 PM »
I would say, when/if someone says "Hey lilblu, what you like for Christmas", you let them know what you'd like for Christmas. Which is supplies to help care for your animals. But sending out a pre-emptive please donate email seems a little like saying "I know you want to buy me a big gift, here's what to get me". Someone might not have been planning to get you anything or maybe they were just planning on making you cookies or something. Maybe they've already bought you a gift. I'd wait until someone asks and then let them know.

I agree with this 110%

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 10:59:49 PM »
I very much agree with Glitter... - the suggested gift is not a donation at all.  You might be caring for these animals in your home, but you are not a registered charity.  It's not at all comparable to donations in lieu of flowers at a funeral/memorial service.

Definitely do not give the suggestion until asked.  And even if you are given a gift-card to a department store as opposed to a pet store - most department stores have plenty of pet items.

And Amazon...they sell everything.

cwm

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »
I agree with several of the PPs. OP, your are not an organization, you are an individual. To me, a donation is something that goes toward a charitable organization. You're not asking for donations, you're asking for specific gifts to care for the animals in your home, and it's completely different.

If you have a history of giving out lists of items you'd like in the family, then do that. If you don't, I'd also agree to send one message first checking if you're still exchanging, then letting your family members know what you want and why. Don't beat around the bush about it, tell them that this is what you're really needing this year. They may get you things off the list. They may not. That's up to them.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 01:11:48 AM »

*If* someone asks you want you want for Christmas you can tell them that you'd love gift cards for the pet store for caring for you animals.   

But in general, if people don't ask you, you can't pre-emptively go up and tell them what to give you.

I'm not a fan of asking for donations in lieu of gifts - I think it's a much better idea to either stop exchanging gifts, or to tell them they don't need to give one to you, and let charity be a personal decision. As others have said, though, this isn't that case - you're asking for gifts related to your own hobby. A donation to charity gift should come with a tax receipt.

lowspark

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2013, 11:14:20 AM »

*If* someone asks you want you want for Christmas you can tell them that you'd love gift cards for the pet store for caring for you animals.   

This.
And, drop the word "donation" completely from this topic. It's not a donation. To anything. It's a gift to you. It's like asking for an iTunes gift card and calling it a donation to your music fund.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2013, 12:29:08 PM »
 I'm going to 15th the suggestion that the word "donation" be removed completely , don't put it in quotes or italics or comic sans. You are asking for a gift to you , you're just asking for something you will use towards your personal passion.  IT like taking up painting and asking for donations of paint supplies for Christmas , you want paints for your gift.  Donation has a completely different meaning and connotation.  IT could also be seen as PA on a couple lvls with the word donation instead of gift. 

SamiHami

• No! Iz mai catnip! You no can haz! YOU NO CAN HAZ!
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2013, 12:54:18 PM »
I agree with PP's. These gifts would not be donations.

Emailing to find out if relative want to exchange gifts this year is fine. I would then follow up any affirmative emails with a "Great! Why don't we each make up a short wish list so we'll have some idea what each of us might like?" I'm sure that can be worded much better, but you get the gist. Then, and only then, after you have recieved some more affirmative replies, you can then send out a third email saying that you would like pet-related items/gift cards. Please do not use the word donation.

That's really the only way I can see politely telling them what you want without them directly asking you.

What have you got? Is it food? Is it for me? I want it whatever it is!

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
I wanted to add, reading your first post, I thought you were requesting donations made to a local pet shelter (perhaps in your name). I know our local shelters take food, blankets, toys, and even gift cards. So it wasn't until I read a little more carefully that I realized these were for animals already in your care, so not for the local shelter. So yes, the donation word, not only is it not correct, it's also a bit confusing.

Betelnut

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 01:42:45 PM »
Only ask for gift cards and/or cash if someone asks you what you want for Christmas.  It is very rude to tell someone what to give you just out of the blue.
Native Texan, Marylander currently

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2013, 02:43:21 AM »
I agree with the others, don't tell people what you want until they ask.

You can work in that information into Email conversations by asking what the other person wants or just by talking about what you are doing with the animals.

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2013, 02:57:19 AM »
add me to those who say:
First send an email raising the "christmas gift exchange: yay or nay" issue.
then, if they want to continue with the exchange, you can *politely* go with what LYnn or HMMMM suggested.

And yes, i know everyone's said it already but drop the word "donation" entirely.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Margo

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »
I agree with others - you are not asking for a donation, not are you asking for gifts for your animals instead of for yourself. You are asking that the gifts for you, are items (or gift cards) which are pet related.

It's not any different than if you enjoyed (say) sailing as a hobby and were therefore responding to people who asked what you wanted y saying "I'd really like [item] for when I'm sailing - I'mn also saving up for a new life-vest, so an contribution towards the cost would be very welcome"

And you only tell people what you'd like if they ask you.Asking if there is anything they would like is a good way to start that conversation.