Author Topic: Being part of a group but not agreeing with the latest event.  (Read 4119 times)

*inviteseller

• I am Queen Mommy
Re: Being part of a group but not agreeing with the latest event.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 09:16:04 AM »
As someone who is involved in some activist groups, there is a time and a place for protests.  If you (general) start showing up at every.blessed.thing just to show you are for/against something, even if there is no tie in to your cause, you risk looking like just a rabble rouser and people do not take it seriously.  Just because an important person will be at an event doesn't mean you have to go protest that event because a) there is no tie in to the cause and b) the group will get on the radar for security team for important person, thus making it hard to be able to have meetings about the cause in the future.  Unfortunately, I have had to bow out of a few of my groups because their behavior and agenda became more about anarchy than about the actual message.

cheyne

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 10:51:19 AM »
If you live on a coastline, check into the http://www.fws.gov/budget/2013/PDF%20Files%20FY%202013%20Greenbook/23.%20Sport%20Fish%20Restoration.pdf Dingell Johnson Act (see the Coastal Wetlands planning, protection and restoration Act).  Monies are allocated every year for fishing/boating habitat.  These monies are derived from a tax on all fishing gear/accessories.

It may help your group to get the fishermen on your side and working with you.  Clean water isn't just about humans, it affects all species in a given community.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 02:01:44 PM »
Good!  I was just going to post that it would be better to work with the store.  People who fish have a vested interest in clean water.

And because of that vested interest, I would see the demonstration not as a *protest* but as a demonstration. A public showing that says, "Those of you who are interested in this store are probably interested in our cause." (I imagine signs that say "red alert: help us save our waters" / "we love fishing too--help make our waters safe" and stuff like that)

I don't think the demonstration would be rude. The governor is getting political points & publicity; the store is borrowing those political points and providing the publicity. I think piggybacking on that is appropriate for such a group to do.

I don't think it's the same rules as other situations. In a way it's business.

amylouky

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, 02:21:03 PM »
If its the store i'm thinking of, named after a certain type of fish, its a great store! You can bring your soda shopping with you in my local one. And they have aquariums that are fun for people and soda to look at. And they do a lot of free community events.

Huh? Is that a filter replacement or am I just confused?

MOM21SON

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, 07:57:10 PM »
Well, I left the group.  I will still support the cause, just not with them.

"Our group RAN the governor off the stage! Man, does one EVER come down from this high. Awesome work guys!!!"

Made me sick.

flickan

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, 08:06:02 PM »
Well, I left the group.  I will still support the cause, just not with them.

"Our group RAN the governor off the stage! Man, does one EVER come down from this high. Awesome work guys!!!"

Made me sick.

Wow, that is NOT the way to protest anything, ever.

That is in fact that way to guarantee you get stuck in people's minds as "those crazy folks who ran the governor off the stage'.

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 08:37:52 AM »
I'm sorry. How frustrating for you and others looking to further your cause and win over new supporters.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 11:02:06 AM »
If its the store i'm thinking of, named after a certain type of fish, its a great store! You can bring your soda shopping with you in my local one. And they have aquariums that are fun for people and soda to look at. And they do a lot of free community events.

It must be, because my bottle of Diet Coke really has no interest in aquariums at all, and my Sprite refuses to even get out of the car at one.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 02:40:12 PM »
Library Dragon wrote:

"People who fish have a vested interest in clean water."

bopper wrote:

"I assume they are there to catch the governor's attention."

I love this forum.  ;D

Virg

JoyinVirginia

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 04:07:04 PM »

It was supposed to be dog. I am bewildered how it became soda.

whatsanenigma

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 04:10:53 PM »

It was supposed to be dog. I am bewildered how it became soda.

Autocorrect?