Author Topic: How to say, “You already got your payment/thank you.” Updt #103!  (Read 22829 times)

Iris

Re: How to say, “You already got your payment/thank you.” Updt #103!
« Reply #120 on: October 16, 2013, 02:29:29 AM »
You may enjoy this http://youtu.be/fTvfG3HSDYA as it seems very relevant atm. Skip to 10:10 for the start of the wine scenes if you don't want to watch the whole thing.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #121 on: October 16, 2013, 04:31:51 AM »
This update makes me so happy.

Years ago, we had a catsitter go through an entire $1000 bottle of scotch DH had been given as a work bonus. This was not someone staying with us but a neighbor popping in; we realized he'd consumed the scotch after we'd stopped speaking to said neighbor for various unrelated reasons. It was pretty heartbreaking.

Your situation, however, is not heartbreaking. These are good people.

My question, though: did they realize the Opus One was exceptional while drinking it? Or did they have a come-to-Jesus moment when they googled what they'd consumed?

I'm thinking they probably didn't realize it was exceptional until after they consumed it otherwise they probably wouldn't have opened it.  I've tasted expensive wines myself, but I can't really tell the difference between 2 buck chuck and exceptional wines myself.  I seem to have a palate made out of wood.  :/

PurpleFrog

« Reply #122 on: October 16, 2013, 05:09:45 AM »
Great resolution!

Though I've been doing some research and the advice seems to be drink the 2009 Opus One between 2019 and 2037 so hubby's drink it now plan may not he the best.
[img width=400 height=88]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10773;484/st/20120825/e/Our+Wedding/dt/-1/k/450f/eve

YummyMummy66

« Reply #123 on: October 16, 2013, 06:41:50 AM »
While I think the resolution worked out to be a good one for you,
me personally, I would not have someone house sit again who felt that comfortable to be going thru my things that were behind closed doors or who felt it was acceptable to drink my wine without asking or being told they could do so.

aussie_chick

« Reply #124 on: October 16, 2013, 07:17:56 AM »
Great outcome OP
They made a mistake, they realised it and they did their best to resolve it.
I would organise the steak dinner and have a great laugh at the wine saga! You'll probably all be able to enjoy the funny side of the situation.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #125 on: October 16, 2013, 07:29:02 AM »
So it turns out they helped themselves while thinking "Of course we'll replace anything we eat/drink/use." I like them! I'm sorry the wine they gave you wasn't quite what they drank, but I'm with you that I'd let it go. You've still got a very nice bottle to look forward to. Bonus that now the ice is broken so if you have them catsit again you can say with a laugh "Help yourself to anything - except our $500 bottle of Whatever that we're saving for New Year's 2020!"  :D

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #126 on: October 16, 2013, 08:38:15 AM »
Toots, why are you pushing this? You asked just one page ago with no replies from the OP inbetween. No need to hound her.

OP, brilliant update! I'd let the 2009/2007 slide as well, they might not have noticed and did the best they could. And hopefully the sticker shock will have taught them something.
I thought Toots was referring to having an at home steak dinner so the OP and her DH can enjoy the wine, not referring to taking the guy and girlfriend out to dinner.

But really happy to hear the update. Sorry you missed out on the 2007.

Curious Cat

« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2013, 08:47:04 AM »
Toots, why are you pushing this? You asked just one page ago with no replies from the OP inbetween. No need to hound her.

OP, brilliant update! I'd let the 2009/2007 slide as well, they might not have noticed and did the best they could. And hopefully the sticker shock will have taught them something.
I thought Toots was referring to having an at home steak dinner so the OP and her DH can enjoy the wine, not referring to taking the guy and girlfriend out to dinner.

No, I'm pretty sure Toots was referring to the OP taking the "friends" out for a steak dinner.  It was a bit pushy. 

It's great that they did the right thing in the end but I'd still be annoyed that I got home to no wine/no note/no way of knowing what happened.  I give them an A for effort but a B- for execution.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2013, 08:56:03 AM »

No, I'm pretty sure Toots was referring to the OP taking the "friends" out for a steak dinner.  It was a bit pushy. 

It's great that they did the right thing in the end but I'd still be annoyed that I got home to no wine/no note/no way of knowing what happened.  I give them an A for effort but a B- for execution.

That's how I read it as well. If Toots did refer to a home steak dinner, I apologize and retract my comment completely.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Lynn2000

« Reply #129 on: October 16, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
I'm really pleased they planned all along to replace the wine and, in fact, did so! It's so rare that these stories have a happy ending. :)

That being said, I don't like to be a downer, but think of the angst their action has caused, because they didn't leave a note/email/etc. about their plan. And, the fact remains that they did drink something that was wrapped up and set aside a bit, apparently without researching it beforehand. The fact that they replaced it is great and makes their actions overall a whole lot better, don't get me wrong. But I might think to myself that they and I have different boundaries when it comes to being in someone's home, and maybe I'm not comfortable with them being in my home unsupervised any longer, just because of that.

I mean, they didn't rush to have the wine replaced by the time the OP got home, for example, or make sure to communicate their plan with her--what if next time they borrowed something the OP really needed right away? Or, since they didn't research the item they borrowed before consuming it (which they might have learned from now, granted), what if next time they consumed something that couldn't be replaced, or that they couldn't afford to replace? (Even with the wine they went with/had to go with a different year, so that's not an exact replacement.) To me--knowing nothing else about this couple except what's in this thread--it would make me wary of setting up this same situation again.

Definitely not a relationship-ender, but maybe I would just say to myself, "Okay, these aren't the people I'm going to ask to check on my house again while I'm gone. We'll do other things as friends."
~Lynn2000

Dorrie78

« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2013, 10:53:34 AM »
I'm really pleased they planned all along to replace the wine and, in fact, did so! It's so rare that these stories have a happy ending. :)

That being said, I don't like to be a downer, but think of the angst their action has caused, because they didn't leave a note/email/etc. about their plan. And, the fact remains that they did drink something that was wrapped up and set aside a bit, apparently without researching it beforehand. The fact that they replaced it is great and makes their actions overall a whole lot better, don't get me wrong. But I might think to myself that they and I have different boundaries when it comes to being in someone's home, and maybe I'm not comfortable with them being in my home unsupervised any longer, just because of that.

I mean, they didn't rush to have the wine replaced by the time the OP got home, for example, or make sure to communicate their plan with her--what if next time they borrowed something the OP really needed right away? Or, since they didn't research the item they borrowed before consuming it (which they might have learned from now, granted), what if next time they consumed something that couldn't be replaced, or that they couldn't afford to replace? (Even with the wine they went with/had to go with a different year, so that's not an exact replacement.) To me--knowing nothing else about this couple except what's in this thread--it would make me wary of setting up this same situation again.

Definitely not a relationship-ender, but maybe I would just say to myself, "Okay, these aren't the people I'm going to ask to check on my house again while I'm gone. We'll do other things as friends."
I agree with this post completely. I'm glad this mostly worked out (mostly because they didn't actually replace the bottle with the same thing). I wouldn't be taking them out to an expensive dinner to thank them - I would thank them sincerely and make a mental note to find a different cat sitter. I wouldn't end a potential friendship over this as I do think that they were considerate to at least try to replace it, but they shouldn't be unwrapping bottles of wine that are separated from the rest of the wine and then drinking it. And I might not know a whole lot about wine, but I would assume that a wrapped bottle from 2007 probably has some sort of a value - monetary or sentimental or both - and leave it alone.

DoubleTrouble

« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2013, 11:42:12 AM »
Glad to see that this worked out & I agree with Lynn2000's post. My DH is a budding wine buff (as in he loves wine but we can't afford the good stuff that often) & something like that would break his heart.

I'm actually glad for this thread as it confirms what I did a few years ago was right. My brother was staying with us over a holiday & as he is also a wine buff wanted to drink some of our wine. DH was not home at the time & since I don't know anything about wine I told him no, he'd have to wait until DH got home to tell him what was OK to drink or not. I really didn't know if DH was saving anything or not. Brother was mightily ticked off but I really didn't care, especially when it turned out that DH was saving a few bottles for the future & one of those was the one that Brother really wanted to drink. Wonder why?  ::)

And before anyone asks, Brother would not have replaced a bottle he drank because he's done that exact situation before (i.e. drank a bottle without asking & then not replacing). My uncle was not a happy camper but I think that's why Brother at least asked me first. He may be a wine buff but he's a very inconsiderate wine buff.

Isisnin

« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2013, 11:59:08 AM »

However, now Two Ravens and her husband know these cat sitters well having gone thru all this, so the communication will be far better than with new sitters.

If Two Ravens and her husband use them again, they will probably be comfortable leaving instructions that clearly say "please do.." and "please don't...".  And these cat sitters would probably be comfortable saying something like "we'd love to sit again and thank you for telling us to make ourselves at home.  But could you do us a favor and put anything as tempting and expensive as Opus One out of sight!!"

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »

Whoops!

My sincere apologies. I'd forgotten I'd mentioned it the first time--I only remembered that I'd been happy for the OP.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2013, 12:40:06 PM »

However, now Two Ravens and her husband know these cat sitters well having gone thru all this, so the communication will be far better than with new sitters.

If Two Ravens and her husband use them again, they will probably be comfortable leaving instructions that clearly say "please do.." and "please don't...".  And these cat sitters would probably be comfortable saying something like "we'd love to sit again and thank you for telling us to make ourselves at home.  But could you do us a favor and put anything as tempting and expensive as Opus One out of sight!!"

Re the bolded - That's how I'd feel about it as well. If someone goofs up and takes full responsibility for it I'm much more likely to give them a 2nd chance than try someone new. At least you know they won't blow you off if something goes wrong.