Author Topic: How to say, “You already got your payment/thank you.” Updt #103!  (Read 22093 times)

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
Re: How to say, “You already got your payment/thank you.” Updt #103!
« Reply #135 on: October 16, 2013, 01:38:15 PM »
That was a wonderful update.  She is correct.  Generally speaking a bottle labeled "Red" is a cheaper wine.  The only sad part is that they probably swilled it like you might a cheap red wine. 

Dorrie78

« Reply #136 on: October 16, 2013, 01:50:28 PM »
I'm really pleased they planned all along to replace the wine and, in fact, did so! It's so rare that these stories have a happy ending. :)

That being said, I don't like to be a downer, but think of the angst their action has caused, because they didn't leave a note/email/etc. about their plan. And, the fact remains that they did drink something that was wrapped up and set aside a bit, apparently without researching it beforehand. The fact that they replaced it is great and makes their actions overall a whole lot better, don't get me wrong. But I might think to myself that they and I have different boundaries when it comes to being in someone's home, and maybe I'm not comfortable with them being in my home unsupervised any longer, just because of that.

However, now Two Ravens and her husband know these cat sitters well having gone thru all this, so the communication will be far better than with new sitters.

If Two Ravens and her husband use them again, they will probably be comfortable leaving instructions that clearly say "please do.." and "please don't...".  And these cat sitters would probably be comfortable saying something like "we'd love to sit again and thank you for telling us to make ourselves at home.  But could you do us a favor and put anything as tempting and expensive as Opus One out of sight!!"
Really? You would be comfortable with people who tell you that they can't control themselves, thus you must hide anything of value? The wine was out of sight, but they dug around for it. As I said in an earlier post, their response and attempts to make things right would save the friendship in my eyes, but their extreme lack of common sense would remove them from my list of cat sitters.

menley

« Reply #137 on: October 16, 2013, 01:55:37 PM »
I'm really pleased they planned all along to replace the wine and, in fact, did so! It's so rare that these stories have a happy ending. :)

That being said, I don't like to be a downer, but think of the angst their action has caused, because they didn't leave a note/email/etc. about their plan. And, the fact remains that they did drink something that was wrapped up and set aside a bit, apparently without researching it beforehand. The fact that they replaced it is great and makes their actions overall a whole lot better, don't get me wrong. But I might think to myself that they and I have different boundaries when it comes to being in someone's home, and maybe I'm not comfortable with them being in my home unsupervised any longer, just because of that.

I mean, they didn't rush to have the wine replaced by the time the OP got home, for example, or make sure to communicate their plan with her--what if next time they borrowed something the OP really needed right away? Or, since they didn't research the item they borrowed before consuming it (which they might have learned from now, granted), what if next time they consumed something that couldn't be replaced, or that they couldn't afford to replace? (Even with the wine they went with/had to go with a different year, so that's not an exact replacement.) To me--knowing nothing else about this couple except what's in this thread--it would make me wary of setting up this same situation again.

Definitely not a relationship-ender, but maybe I would just say to myself, "Okay, these aren't the people I'm going to ask to check on my house again while I'm gone. We'll do other things as friends."
I agree with this post completely. I'm glad this mostly worked out (mostly because they didn't actually replace the bottle with the same thing). I wouldn't be taking them out to an expensive dinner to thank them - I would thank them sincerely and make a mental note to find a different cat sitter. I wouldn't end a potential friendship over this as I do think that they were considerate to at least try to replace it, but they shouldn't be unwrapping bottles of wine that are separated from the rest of the wine and then drinking it. And I might not know a whole lot about wine, but I would assume that a wrapped bottle from 2007 probably has some sort of a value - monetary or sentimental or both - and leave it alone.

I'm parking my opinion with these two :) If they had said, as soon as you returned (or left a note), that they had drunk some of your wine but were going to replace it, that might change things.

strawbabies

Re: How to say, “You already got your payment/thank you.”
« Reply #138 on: October 16, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
So basically all is resolved. The wine they gave was a 2009, not a 2007, but we decided not to quibble. (My husband's whole opinion on the matter was "See, I told you we should have drank it when we got it." He wanted to open it right away, rather than save it for sometime special.)
I think your husband was right.  A local winery produces a very limited wine every year that just happens to have the same name as DH's and my last name.  We buy a few bottles every year, which the people at the winery have pointed out to us that we should drink and not try to save long-term.  They said unless you have the right conditions for storing wine, like owning a wine cellar, it would probably go bad in a year or two.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #139 on: October 16, 2013, 02:41:41 PM »
Yay for update! I would've thought a French wine would be more expensive then a California wine as well. This is based on the fact I know zilch about wine (there's red and white, 2 buck Chuck is a bit over 2 bucks now, and you don't fill up a wine glass all the way, that's everything), of course I also rarely drink wine. Now if you had a nice bottle of whiskey or scotch, maybe bourbon...we could talk.

Two Ravens

• One for sorrow, Two for mirth...
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2013, 05:51:25 PM »
OP here again!

Yes, we will be taking them out to dinner. Not sure when, since they are headed off on vacation soon themselves.

I do think they at least enjoyed the wine because Friend said they were going to buy a couple of bottles for themselves before they realized how expensive it was. Friend said, "I knew something was wrong when we asked for it and they led us over to the locked case!"  :D

As for them cat sitting for us again, well, let's just say after this trip we won't be going anywhere for a while.  :) I guess we'll just cross that bridge when we come to it. I do still trust them though, with both the house and kitty.

Isisnin

« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2013, 06:10:58 PM »

However, now Two Ravens and her husband know these cat sitters well having gone thru all this, so the communication will be far better than with new sitters.

If Two Ravens and her husband use them again, they will probably be comfortable leaving instructions that clearly say "please do.." and "please don't...".  And these cat sitters would probably be comfortable saying something like "we'd love to sit again and thank you for telling us to make ourselves at home.  But could you do us a favor and put anything as tempting and expensive as Opus One out of sight!!"
Really? You would be comfortable with people who tell you that they can't control themselves, thus you must hide anything of value? The wine was out of sight, but they dug around for it. As I said in an earlier post, their response and attempts to make things right would save the friendship in my eyes, but their extreme lack of common sense would remove them from my list of cat sitters.

I didn't say that anything of value must be hidden from these pet sitters.  I indicated that after going thru this situation, both parties would probably be comfortable with very clear communication  - and even humorous communication such as saying "put tempting expensive things out off sight".

The Opus One, while wrapped, was not necessarily out of sight.  It was in the back of the insight wine rack from which the pet sitters had permission to take wine. 

The whole situation is very different from the way I handle my pet sitters.  I don't tell them to make themselves at home, that they are welcome to spend the night, and that they can take a bottle of wine.  I just put everything they need on the kitchen counter.

But if I lived around there and was told this story, I'd ask these people to pet sit.  They took good care of the cat. Yes, they "broke" something and but they replaced it.  I prefer pet sitters whose track record and ways, as pet sitters, I know so we can have good, effective communication.  Much better than someone who is recommended because they are good neighbors, coworkers, or what ever,  then when you get home you find out they didn't clean the food and water bowls regularly.

(just saw the OP's update.  Good to see the smiley faces.. "I knew something was wrong when we asked for it and they led us over to the locked case!"  Bwahh!  These people sound nice with a great sense of humor. )

Erich L-ster

« Reply #142 on: October 17, 2013, 01:05:01 AM »
Since they tried to fix their mistake (although poorly because it wasn't an exact replacement) I would still be "miffed" if not outright mad. If something is wrapped you know it's special for some reason. Even if you have a relationship with a friend where you feel you can consume something and replace it later, you had better be sure it's replaceable. A can of coke? Sure. A wrapped gift bottle of wine? Absolutely not.

bonyk

« Reply #143 on: October 17, 2013, 05:35:47 AM »
Since they tried to fix their mistake (although poorly because it wasn't an exact replacement) I would still be "miffed" if not outright mad. If something is wrapped you know it's special for some reason. Even if you have a relationship with a friend where you feel you can consume something and replace it later, you had better be sure it's replaceable. A can of coke? Sure. A wrapped gift bottle of wine? Absolutely not.

I don't think it's so clear cut.  I can see their logic:  "Hmm, OP is really into wine.  I don't want to take anything that's important, so I'll stay away from the wine rack.  What's this one in the back?  Oh, it's just a Californian.  It doesn't even say what kind it is, just 'red'.  They probably got it as a give away or something.  Let's go with this one."

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #144 on: October 17, 2013, 08:29:58 AM »
What gets me is that they had to *unwrap* the expensive bottle before they drank it.  To me, that's beyond making yourself at home.   

CakeBeret

« Reply #145 on: October 17, 2013, 08:44:34 AM »
What gets me is that they had to *unwrap* the expensive bottle before they drank it.  To me, that's beyond making yourself at home.   

Yeah, I still think that that was poor judgment on their part - but I would bet money that they have learned their lesson!

Because they voluntarily replaced all the wines they drank (albeit not quite the same Opus) I would trust them in the future. It sounds like they took responsibility without prompting and genuinely tried to do the right thing, and that's worth a lot in my book.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #146 on: October 17, 2013, 10:02:20 AM »
And the OP was willing to let them drink wine.  So the price difference between a 2007 and 2009 probably falls in the price range OP was willing to accept as part of the cost of pet sitting.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #147 on: October 17, 2013, 11:15:53 AM »

The OP can continue to fester with outrage or accept it for what it was; a clueless and innocent mistake that they fixed with lesson learned (on both sides.)

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #148 on: October 17, 2013, 11:23:14 AM »
The OP can continue to fester with outrage or accept it for what it was; a clueless and innocent mistake that they fixed with lesson learned (on both sides.)

I didn't get the impression from the updates that the OP was still festering with outrage?  Although I do really like that wording and plan to use it myself at the next possible opportunity.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #149 on: October 17, 2013, 11:48:01 AM »

I didn't get the impression from the updates that the OP was still festering with outrage?  Although I do really like that wording and plan to use it myself at the next possible opportunity.

Ha Ha.  I do like to go to extremes to make a point, don't I?