Author Topic: Well, I feel like an idiot  (Read 2171 times)

Idlewildstudios

Well, I feel like an idiot
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:51:53 PM »
We have a swim meet coming up this weekend. I misread the calendar, and was working under the assumption that the swim meet was being hosted at our local pool. I emailed a board member offering to make a gift basket to be raffled off at this meet as a fundraiser for our team. It is not uncommon for the hosting team to do some sort of raffle. I emailed them a week ago asking if they would like me to do this. I never heard back.

I just today realized that the meet is being hosted by another team at another pool.  So that means that my gift basket would not be needed.  Having realized my mistake, do I email the board member again correcting my assumption or do I just let it go?  I am slightly embarrassed and wished that they would have just emailed me a reply reminding me that the meet was not local and was being hosted by other team.  I would have then apologized for my brain fart and offered to do a gift basket at our next hosted meet.

Since they didn't reply, I just feel like a clueless idiot.  I feel I had made an offer with my intentions in the right place but they couldn't even be bothered to say "hey you dork, wrong weekend."

Do I follow up or just keep my mouth shut?

doodlemor

Re: Well, I feel like an idiot
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
Make a joke of it.  Don't be embarrassed - we all do things like this sometimes.

Email the person and say that you goofed, your mind was disengaged, whatever, and that you thought the meet was at your pool.  Ask if they need you to do a basket, or if that has been covered in the usual way by the other team. 

It may be that the person who received the email didn't read it carefully, and just thought that you were kindly volunteering to do the next basket for a home meet. 

If the other team has actually been contacted, then you should do it, but just laugh it off.

m2kbug

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »
First of all you need to stop kicking yourself.  This was an honest mistake, we've all been there.

I don't think you are under any sort of obligation in either direction on emailing this person or not.  I think that when you offered to bring the basket, it was implied that you would be bringing the basket to the next home meet, which happens to be on a different date you trapped into your head, but the next home meet nonetheless.

If you're not sure if this basket is needed at all, you could write the leader:  "I sent an email last week about bringing a basket for the raffle.  I didn't hear back from anyone.  Does the team still plan on doing a raffle?  Could you please let me know if I should bring something for it?"

That's probably the extent I would go, is just to clarify if a basket is needed or not.

It would have been nice if the team leader wrote you back that you're getting your dates mixed up, but they may not have recognized it.

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 05:58:18 PM »
Thanks!

The raffles are given by the hosting team only, so I wouldn't bring it this weekend.  I had mentioned I wanted to a Halloween themed basket with treats and toys specifically, so that's why I was a bit grumbly when I didn't hear back.  In anticipation of doing this, I had started getting of the things together.  I didn't think they would decline it, I just needed some guidance on how they wanted me to deal with the raffle part.

So basically I took something that I knew was going to be approved and started prepping it.  That's why when I never heard back I was getting concerned and when I finally realized my mistake today I was angry with myself.  Most of the things I had gotten can be given to my nieces and family, but I really wished the board would have said *something* to me.

I'll just laugh it off when I see them at the meet and not worry about emailing them.  Was it rude on their part to not reply to me at all?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 06:00:21 PM by Idlewildstudios »

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
Is the next home meet after October? 

Idlewildstudios

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 06:33:06 PM »
We don't host again until the holiday meet in December :)

m2kbug

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 07:33:08 PM »
  Was it rude on their part to not reply to me at all?

Yes, I do think it was rude that they did not respond to you at all.   

Hmmmmm

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 07:46:36 PM »
I think it rude to not respond to you.

But I'd just send a note saying you misread the calendar and realized the meet was an away event but you'd be happy to donate a basket for December if someone would confirm one is needed.