Author Topic: Dress Code Help?  (Read 5902 times)

audrey1962

Re: Dress Code Help?
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »
And of course, in another 10, 15 or 20 years these couples will be explaining to their kids why people were dressed funny at their wedding and why everyone was drinking out of canning jars and sitting on hay bales ;).

You just explained why I chose not to have a vintage wedding. I collect vintage, mostly sewing patterns, but I do have quite a bit of clothing.

I realized when I was researching that the photographs I referred to showed people as they actually looked in their time. The clothes they were wearing were modern and trendy, not costumes. No one wore their grandmother's dresses. Then I looked at photos of my childhood and noticed my mother was wearing clothes that were fashionable in the 1970s. That was the very first time I thought of her a fashionable woman. I never would have realized that if I hadn't studied fashion history and she hadn't been wearing clothing that was modern in the 1970s, but yes, my mother, was a fashionable woman in her time! It was an epiphany for me.

I decided then that I wanted to be a fashionable woman in my time. When people look at photographs of me 20 or 50 or 100 years from now, I want them to realize, "this is a woman of 2013," not think, "this is a woman wearing an outfit from an earlier era." I want to inspire the vintage clothing researchers of the future. And maybe if I'm lucky they'll include me in a textbook of fashion history as an example of fashion in the early 21st century.

TamJamB

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2013, 03:55:13 PM »
And of course, in another 10, 15 or 20 years these couples will be explaining to their kids why people were dressed funny at their wedding and why everyone was drinking out of canning jars and sitting on hay bales ;).
  ::laughing:: This is a problem with theme weddings.  All wedding pphotos look dated eventually, but it's easier to say, "that's just what we wore back then" than to explain why (at a Klingon wedding) everyone is carrying d'k tahg and and have ridges on their heads; or why, at your own wedding (Old Hollywood, which takes in 3 decades of vintage fashion), all the guests look like time travelers from different eras!

LadyL

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2013, 05:53:03 PM »
This discussion reminded me of a recent exhibit in the FIT Museum in NYC. It was all about fashion that is a throwback to a previous era- i.e., in the 30s victorian bustles came back in fashion, in the 60s mens lapel widths referenced the 30s, in the 70s womens dresses referenced the 30s with flutter sleeves and bias cut chiffon, etc. In that sense, dressing retro is kind of timeless :).

I hadn't thought about my guests looking like time travellers but for me that's a bonus! Our venue is very typical of the 30s art nouveau style, and had it's heyday in the 20s-50s, so in that sense the theme is historically accurate in a sense.

GlitterIsMyDrug

« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2013, 06:26:32 PM »
I was actually looking at old pictures of my grandfather and great-grandfather/mother and my great aunt and realized what they were wearing then (60s) was back in style now. The skinny tie and narrow lapels on grandpa's suit. My aunt in her button down and a-line knee length skirt with flats. I thought it was so cool! They were most likely in their 20s at the time, I'll have to show them to find out the exact dates.

Drunken Housewife

• still coherent
    • my blog
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2013, 01:28:08 AM »
Back to the OP:  I would not go buy a new outfit at one of the suggested retailers if you don't want.  You have a suit, I suspect.  I would wear that suit.  Who will say a suit is not "genteel"?

A middle ground:  wear your suit but spring for an accessory from the recommended sources:  a piece of neckwear (tie, bowtie, or ironic bolo tie), an ironic hat, suspenders, spats...(a friend of mine was sporting spats recently, so they come to mind as a gentleman's hipster accessory). 

p.s.  I am not from the South but I do mingle with hipsters.
http://www.drunkenhousewife.com

Syfygeek

« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
For a guy, I'd go with a look like any of these:

Funky socks, bow tie, cufflinks, cool glasses, one of our young hip curators wears this everyday, only the colors and patterns change.  I really thought WillyNilly had taken a photo of his closet.

Dude- dressier jeans, untucked pressed button down and a suit jacket/sportscoat would make you "Southern genteel" (the trick is pressing your shirt to show you care, but not tucking it in proves you have better things to do than worry about tucking it in)
That's my purse! I don't know you!

Winterlight

• On the internet, no one can tell you're a dog- arf.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2013, 11:03:32 AM »
Back to the OP:  I would not go buy a new outfit at one of the suggested retailers if you don't want.  You have a suit, I suspect.  I would wear that suit.  Who will say a suit is not "genteel"?

A middle ground:  wear your suit but spring for an accessory from the recommended sources:  a piece of neckwear (tie, bowtie, or ironic bolo tie), an ironic hat, suspenders, spats...(a friend of mine was sporting spats recently, so they come to mind as a gentleman's hipster accessory). 

p.s.  I am not from the South but I do mingle with hipsters.

Agreed. There's no need to go overboard here if you don't want to.
If wisdom’s ways you wisely seek,
Five things observe with care,
To whom you speak,
Of whom you speak,
And how, and when, and where.
Caroline Lake Ingalls