Author Topic: Another toilet issue  (Read 5608 times)

English1

Another toilet issue
« on: October 15, 2013, 04:17:05 AM »
Hi

We have a little problem at work. Small office, 14 people, 2 toilets are unisex (one on each floor). Someone hasn't got their toilet manners sorted out. To be frank, someone is doing poos and leaving unpleasant skidmarks. Not only is it not nice to use afterwards, the cleaner isn't happy about this either (and I understand this), especially as she also has another office job with us later in the day so is really part of the team, not just anonymously popping in when no-one else is here (still not nice to do anyway). There is a toilet brush in each toilet (nice and clean to use).

Can't put up a sign as clients also use these loos (another reason for people to clean up after themselves if they make it dirty).

I guess I need to do an email round - but for the life of me I can't think of how to phrase this without offending everyone else who doesn't need to be told basic stuff like this!

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
Re: Another toilet issue
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 04:30:18 AM »
We've had such an email sent out once or twice. Usually it's phrased like, "Since we have clients visiting who'll use our restrooms, remember to leave them in a condition they'd want to find them in. There's a toilet brush in each toilet for this purpose."

Phrase it as something that needs to be done to make a good impression on the clients.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

English1

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 05:46:52 AM »
Great idea, thanks  :D

MariaE

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »
No problem. Hope it works! :)

cicero

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:00:34 PM »
Hi

We have a little problem at work. Small office, 14 people, 2 toilets are unisex (one on each floor). Someone hasn't got their toilet manners sorted out. To be frank, someone is doing poos and leaving unpleasant skidmarks. Not only is it not nice to use afterwards, the cleaner isn't happy about this either (and I understand this), especially as she also has another office job with us later in the day so is really part of the team, not just anonymously popping in when no-one else is here (still not nice to do anyway). There is a toilet brush in each toilet (nice and clean to use).

Can't put up a sign as clients also use these loos (another reason for people to clean up after themselves if they make it dirty).

I guess I need to do an email round - but for the life of me I can't think of how to phrase this without offending everyone else who doesn't need to be told basic stuff like this!
Is that the norm where you work - that the staffers are expected to clean the toilets? I can understand wiping the seats if you dribble, but taking a brush and wiping the bowl? I've never heard of doing that ( and I work in a very bare bones non profit).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »

Is that the norm where you work - that the staffers are expected to clean the toilets? I can understand wiping the seats if you dribble, but taking a brush and wiping the bowl? I've never heard of doing that ( and I work in a very bare bones non profit).

Yeah, I've never in my life cleaned the toilet after I'm done. Even w/ skid marks. I figure they'll wear away eventually. I don't actually look at the toilet necessarily after I flush. And it's a toilet! What did people think was going to be in there? And, what does the *cleaner* think she's cleaning the toilet for? To remove skid marks, no?

I mean, it's not like people are leaving skid marks on purpose when they poo! (And the new low-flow toilets allow skid marks WAY more than the old ones.) 

If it's happening a lot, it may be more the toilet than any one specific person's poop.

So yeah, I like the proposed email that mentions clients.

MariaE

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 04:37:41 PM »
In my office staffers are supposed to remove skid marks - because of clients.

Come to think of it, I've actually seen "Please clean up after yourself"- signs many times when I'm at clients' workplaces as well. It seems to be pretty common. Perhaps not the norm, but normal enough not to raise eyebrows.

Marbles

• I'm lost
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 05:58:19 PM »
If the skidmark is in the bowl, as opposed to on the seat, then I wouldn't think it's a big deal. It's just something that happens in the course of doing one's business. I consider that to be one of the things one learns to ignore as a member of polite society.

Also, I don't think asking professional staff to clean the toilets is going to get you very far. I can tell you that I would not be scrubbing a toilet while wearing work clothes.

Perhaps you need to have the cleaner go through more often. Perhaps you need to look into a toilet with a different shaped bowl. I don't think this is going to be solved with an email.

The TARDIS

• I wanted to see the Universe so I stole a Time Lord and I ran away.
  • I'm bigger on the inside!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 12:40:48 AM »
It sounds like the toilet is low flow. At my work the staff bathroom has the same problem. Sometimes an extra flush will clean it up, but sometimes the marks are quite stubborn. It is not the fault of whoever is making a deposit.

"Kidneys! I got new kidneys! I donít like the color..."

perpetua

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 02:18:03 AM »
I recall this subject getting quite heated in another thread. I think I was pretty new then so whether I contributed to that thread or just lurked I can't remember.

To my mind: this is not *your* toilet and other people have to use it. So I think it's fundamentally wrong to leave anything behind for the next person to have to see (especially if that comes with an undertone of 'it's beneath me to clean it, that's why we have cleaning staff').  This comes under 'cleaning up after yourself' for me, rather than 'cleaning the toilets'.

However, I also recall from that other thread that the consensus was that there isn't usually a toilet brush in US work bathrooms.

OP, I like MariaE's wording.

Bashful

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 03:02:50 AM »
If for Eglish1 this is a problem, I suppose in her office (/town?/country?) the consensus is that people scrub away their own skidmarks. In my neck of the woods everybody does it: that's what toilet brushes are for (and brushes have a long stick so you don't have to kneel or put your hands into the bowl). While in my own toilet I may go lazy and skip brushing sometimes, I'd hate to leave skidmarks in the office toilet where others will see them. While I expect that cleaning staff will remove every skidmark, I think it is rude to leave the toilet unbrushed and let other people deal with it.
I guess it is a regional thing.
I like MariaE's wording and I don't think that the brushers would be offended by that.

Ms Aspasia

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 07:03:14 AM »
In my workplace, the professionals are expected to clean the toilet bowl after themselves.  Although I do so, I think it's horrid cost-cutting to save on cleaning staff, who attend several times weekly instead of daily.  At home, I would change into old clothes to clean the toilet so as not to risk spoiling good clothes with a caustic splash.

Belle

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 08:25:11 AM »
In my office staffers are supposed to remove skid marks - because of clients.

Come to think of it, I've actually seen "Please clean up after yourself"- signs many times when I'm at clients' workplaces as well. It seems to be pretty common. Perhaps not the norm, but normal enough not to raise eyebrows.

"Please clean up after yourself" to me means don't leave things behind, don't leave the counter wet, etc. It would never even occur to me that it meant to use the toilet scrubber. I've never been in an office where we were expected to use the scrubber (and my current office is as "cost-cutting" as you can be).  Even at home I don't use the scrubber if there are skidmarks (unless I have guests). As others have pointed out, with low-flow toilets, skidmarks are inevitable and wash away after one or two flushes.

If people need to clean the toilets, any notice needs to be more explicit. "Because our bathrooms are often used by clients, please clean up after yourself after each use. This includes using the toilet scrubber if the toilet bowl is dirty after use." And if it's not the norm in your area, expect pushback.

Carotte

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 09:09:08 AM »
I recall this subject getting quite heated in another thread. I think I was pretty new then so whether I contributed to that thread or just lurked I can't remember.

To my mind: this is not *your* toilet and other people have to use it. So I think it's fundamentally wrong to leave anything behind for the next person to have to see (especially if that comes with an undertone of 'it's beneath me to clean it, that's why we have cleaning staff').  This comes under 'cleaning up after yourself' for me, rather than 'cleaning the toilets'.

However, I also recall from that other thread that the consensus was that there isn't usually a toilet brush in US work bathrooms.

OP, I like MariaE's wording.

POD to this kind of thinking.
It takes what, less than 10 sec to get a hold of the brush, push it once or twice in the bowl while flushing it, and that makes it quite a nicer experience to everyone after you.
You don't use products, you barely have to bend down and I see it as the same courtesy as not leaving torn paper laying around or you feminine hygiene product wrapper on the ground.
We are all aware of what goes on in a toilet, but there's still no need to advertise it!

stargazer

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 09:39:52 AM »
I have never worked in an office where it would be the norm to grab a brush and do this.  I have never even SEEN a brush in a professional environment!  I had no idea this would be a "thing".