General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Another toilet issue

<< < (12/12)

perpetua:

--- Quote from: Aeris on October 23, 2013, 06:13:35 AM ---
--- Quote from: MariaE on October 23, 2013, 05:39:06 AM ---
--- Quote from: Aeris on October 23, 2013, 05:32:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: perpetua on October 23, 2013, 04:24:27 AM ---Yes, when you step into the office you have your job and you don't do the accounts because Bob from accounting does it and you don't sort out the post because Sheila from the post room does it and that's fine. But to say 'cleaning up my own mess isn't part of my job' ? Well, while 'removing skids' might not be part of your job description as an IT person or a receptionist or whatever, I think it's part of your job as a respectful and polite human being (which does not depend whether you're currently in the office or not) who shows consideration for others.

It must be cultural difference (given that most US work bathrooms apparently don't have toilet brushes would lend weight to this theory), because I very much see it as leaving a mess, as would many other people I know. I find it really gross and disrespectful for people to leave stuff behind for other people to have to see afterwards and even more disrespectful if I knew that someone was thinking 'eh, Sally from housekeeping can get rid of my skids, it's not my job to do it'. For me it's akin to (although slightly more gross than) leaving your rubbish on the table at KFC instead of putting it in the bin because 'they pay people to do that for me'. That may be the case, but that doesn't stop the next person who has to sit at your table before it's cleaned by the official cleaning staff from being grossed out by your left over food.

Vive le différence, I suppose!

--- End quote ---

Okay, so what about leaving my dirty dishes, napkin, and used wine glass on the table when I leave the nice, sit-down Italian restaurant down the street? Why is it okay to leave my mess behind for the staff to clear? Shouldn't I be "cleaning up after myself" even there, just like at KFC?

--- End quote ---

The way I see it:
KFC - obvious cleaning station with trashcan and place for leaving trays = clean up after yourself.
Nice, sit-down Italian restaurant - no cleaning station of any kind = leave for the staff to clean.

Similarly:
Brush readily available next to toilet = clean up after yourself (of course, this goes double if there is a sign).
No brush readily available next to toilet = leave for the staff to clean.

--- End quote ---

I'll happily buy that distinction.

What I won't buy is the idea that there is some sort of universal toilet-skidmark courtesy that every truly considerate person would just understand automatically because, after all, it's part of cleaning up after yourself and only disrespectful people refuse to do that.... which is frankly how a lot of perpetua's posts are coming across.

--- End quote ---

I never said it was universal, Aeris.  I've stated several times that this must be a cultural difference. Please show me where I said 'only disrespectful people refuse to do that'. I didn't say anything of the sort - I said that I *personally* find it disrespectful and a bit gross when others don't clean up after themselves - my experience is framed against the background of the culture in which I live. You're reading things into my posts that aren't there.

Sharnita:
Perpetua, you don't seem to be aware of how your posts are coming across.

perpetua:

--- Quote from: Sharnita on October 23, 2013, 06:32:08 AM ---Perpetua, you don't seem to be aware of how your posts are coming across.

--- End quote ---

I could say the same for the "It's not my job to clean up my own mess" posts, which are coming across as quite arrogant.

I said I personally found it gross, which I do against the background of the unwritten rule that we seem to have here about it. I never said that anyone who did it was disrespectful - if you can point me towards where I said that, then I'll gladly retract it; but I didn't.

Obviously we're at opposite ends of the spectrum on this discussion and won't see eye to eye, so I'll bow out of discussing this with you now.

camlan:
From the US here. Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen a skidmark in a public toilet here. And I'm in my 50s. So this thread is dealing with an issue that, quite simply, has never come up.

So those posters who say that there's something different about the design of US toilets may be on to something.

I've also never seen cleaning supplies or toilet brushes in a public restroom. They are always locked up in a closet or supply room somewhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version