General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Another toilet issue

<< < (2/12) > >>

TootsNYC:

--- Quote from: cicero on October 18, 2013, 04:00:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: English1 on October 15, 2013, 04:17:05 AM ---

I guess I need to do an email round - but for the life of me I can't think of how to phrase this without offending everyone else who doesn't need to be told basic stuff like this!

--- End quote ---
Is that the norm where you work - that the staffers are expected to clean the toilets? I can understand wiping the seats if you dribble, but taking a brush and wiping the bowl? I've never heard of doing that ( and I work in a very bare bones non profit).

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've never in my life cleaned the toilet after I'm done. Even w/ skid marks. I figure they'll wear away eventually. I don't actually look at the toilet necessarily after I flush. And it's a toilet! What did people think was going to be in there? And, what does the *cleaner* think she's cleaning the toilet for? To remove skid marks, no?

I mean, it's not like people are leaving skid marks on purpose when they poo! (And the new low-flow toilets allow skid marks WAY more than the old ones.) 

If it's happening a lot, it may be more the toilet than any one specific person's poop.

So yeah, I like the proposed email that mentions clients.

MariaE:
In my office staffers are supposed to remove skid marks - because of clients.

Come to think of it, I've actually seen "Please clean up after yourself"- signs many times when I'm at clients' workplaces as well. It seems to be pretty common. Perhaps not the norm, but normal enough not to raise eyebrows.

Marbles:
If the skidmark is in the bowl, as opposed to on the seat, then I wouldn't think it's a big deal. It's just something that happens in the course of doing one's business. I consider that to be one of the things one learns to ignore as a member of polite society.

Also, I don't think asking professional staff to clean the toilets is going to get you very far. I can tell you that I would not be scrubbing a toilet while wearing work clothes.

Perhaps you need to have the cleaner go through more often. Perhaps you need to look into a toilet with a different shaped bowl. I don't think this is going to be solved with an email.

The TARDIS:
It sounds like the toilet is low flow. At my work the staff bathroom has the same problem. Sometimes an extra flush will clean it up, but sometimes the marks are quite stubborn. It is not the fault of whoever is making a deposit.

perpetua:
I recall this subject getting quite heated in another thread. I think I was pretty new then so whether I contributed to that thread or just lurked I can't remember.

To my mind: this is not *your* toilet and other people have to use it. So I think it's fundamentally wrong to leave anything behind for the next person to have to see (especially if that comes with an undertone of 'it's beneath me to clean it, that's why we have cleaning staff').  This comes under 'cleaning up after yourself' for me, rather than 'cleaning the toilets'.

However, I also recall from that other thread that the consensus was that there isn't usually a toilet brush in US work bathrooms.

OP, I like MariaE's wording.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version