Etiquette School is in session! > "I'm afraid that won't be possible."

Acquaintance wants me to sew an intricate costume for her?

<< < (2/8) > >>

Redsoil:
"It would actually take more than 10 hours (or estimate) to do that sort of incredibly detailed work - I simply don't have that sort of time to spare!"  Then beandip or keep repeating variations of "I can't help you out - I'm already short on time."  "As I mentioned, it's a LOT of work and I can't do it."

z_squared82:

--- Quote from: that_one_girl on October 15, 2013, 07:42:10 AM ---If the costume she wants costs $300 ready-to-wear, then tell her that a custom-tailored costume will cost $800.   If she can't afford the ready-to-wear, then she won't agree to pay you more for a custom job.  After all, most of what goes in to the cost for a custom-made job is not the materials themselves (which cost an artisan more than they cost the company that makes the ready-to-wear stuff since they buy in bulk) but the artisan's blood, sweat, and tears.

--- End quote ---

While "I'm afraid that won't be possible," is the best and most polite response, if she bugs you until you break, I vote for the bolded. Heck, tell her $1000. Then you can start with, "I'm afraid a lower price won't be possible."

JenJay:
Yep, be blunt. Tell her "I understand that you wish 'd make you the costume, but what you don't understand is that making it would take every bit of free time I have for weeks and cost $300 in materials alone, let alone my fee. I don't have time to make this for you but if you're seriously interested in a $500 costume I can refer you to a friend who may be able to do it."

lowspark:
If I understand correctly, they aren't actually asking again, just making lots of PA comments in front of you (or to you?).

My advice is to ignore the comments. You've already said no, so to continue to say no, or anything, sort of gives them an opening to continue asking. When she makes these PA comments, if possible, remove yourself from her presence. Walk away. If that's not possible, then bean dip.

But honestly, I would not even dignify the subject with another word.

If she asks (directly) again, then I'd say, "I already said no." Full stop. And again, walk away or bean dip if you're stuck.

MrTango:
An alternative to saying "no" over and over is to throw it back at her: "What gives you the impression that I'll change my mind?  If someone comes up to you and starts whining that you aren't giving them what they want, does it make you feel any more inclined to do so?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version