Author Topic: Thanks for sharing that 2 year old news item!  (Read 2198 times)

bonyk

Thanks for sharing that 2 year old news item!
« on: October 15, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »
One of my Facebook friends recently shared a news link about a local politician making rather inflammatory remarks ago my profession.  I remember him making the comment some time ago.  I clicked on the link and the date was from 2011.

Oddly enough, 2 unrelated friends have also posted the link, so this resurrection seems to be making the rounds in Facebookland. 

Would you say anything or ignore?

WillyNilly

• Super Hero!
  • Mmmmm, food
    • The World as I Taste It
Re: Thanks for sharing that 2 year old news item!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 06:13:28 PM »
I'd probably ignore it. But you could also comment "yeah I remember when he said that..." or "did he do something again recently that is making this story pop up again?"

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 06:30:17 PM »
There was one of these that went viral last year--it was a story about a famous actor doing a commendable thing, and accused the news media of having a particular bias because they hadn't covered it. Well, it turns out that the commendable thing was true, but had happened in 1991!  :o

greencat

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 06:34:27 PM »
My friends are such that when one of us ends up making a post recycling old news, the rest of us will mock them for having missed that year/time traveling/living under a rock/etc.

Arila

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 06:43:33 PM »
Remember when the "big moon this week" stories came around again? The astronomy people were like.......Yeah, great that y'all are interested, but that was for LAST year, guys...

I usually privately correct people who send out wrong/inflammatory information. I don't know if they are still forwarding garbage to the rest of their list, but they stopped sending ME crazy stuff, and I'd rather just think better of them for it.

Cherry91

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 06:01:14 AM »
Facebook used to do a really annoying thing where if you clicked an article, it would share that you had with everyone you were FB friends with. The articles shown would have very click-baity titles, and it would only be once you'd opened it that you discovered it was extremely old. I had one such article be from about 2001! I think it had been archived.

Fact checking is often lacking in these situations...