General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

What is the best way to communicate with these 2 managers?

<< < (2/3) > >>

cwm:
If it's at all possible, I'd contact both managers at once. Let them know that the communication is going to both of them. Explain it exactly like you laid it out here, list all the daily duties that you have to do. Spell out the extra duties you've been asked to do in the past few days (helps to keep a notebook at work and jot it down as you walk, if you can). Tell them you're more than willing to do all of what's asked of you, but you need to be able to prioritize in your head and want to know where priorities lie.

I had to do this at a previous job. I was supposed to watch the floor in a very large area, assemble two grills, be available for another area on the floor at an on-call basis, relieve people in another department for breaks and watch their expensive items counter, and be available on the phone and computer to help customers who called. I got my team leader and the interim manager and spelled it out and asked them what my priorities were. They didn't realize I had so much going on. It was all worked out fairly quickly, but it all comes down to clear communication.

snugglegirl05:
Here is what has happened at work this week. Plus how I was trained.

I work at 2 parking garages as well as at a parking lot. For the 2 parking garages I will name them garage A and garage B. Both of them have same number of levels.

When I was trained a couple of weeks ago by the other porter who worked there, he told me to start with the parking lot, then clean garage A and then clean garage B. This porter was promoted to a porter manager, but he is now over a different area of garages. The porter manager who calls me with duties he wants me to do is over this garage as well as the garage manager.

There is a maintenance checklist that I have to use everyday at work. It states what needs to be done, but not in a specific order. I have to check off each duty I complete, and I have to put it in the garage manager's inbox at the parking garage office where I and the other porters clock in at. There is also a section on this maintenance checklist for any comments. This is where I document any problems I am having, any concerns I have or the duties that the porter manager has me do. The garage manager is supposed to look the checklists I turn in, but lately I have noticed a pile of them still in his inbox at the parking garage office where I clock in at.

Earlier this week I was at garage A when I got a call from the porter manager over the 2 garages I work at letting me know that he wanted me to complete a project at garage B. So I stopped what I was doing, & I went to complete the project. While I was doing the project, I noticed that it was time to do one of my space counts according to the space count list. So I stopped what I was doing, & I started my space count. While I was in the middle of the space count, the same porter manager called me & asked me where I was & why I had not completed the project. I explained to him where I was, what I was doing, and how far I got along completing the project he wanted me to do.

Today I started at garage B after cleaning the parking lot since I had received a phone call from the porter manager about my needing to complete a project at that garage earlier this week while I was at garage A. After finishing at garage B, I walked over to garage A to start cleaning it. That was when I saw the porter manager as well as the garage manager entering that garage while using the golf cart. It was not long after that when I saw them exit the garage. That was when the porter manager stopped the golf cart, walked up to me, and asked me why I had not cleaned that garage. He let me know that the garage manager got on his behind for that garage not being cleaned. That was when he told me to start at garage B every morning.

Later today he let me know that the original porter and he will walk me through the procedure they want me to follow everyday beginning this Thursday.

If I had known to start at garage B, I would have already done that.

lowspark:
I think that you need to start communicating better with your managers.

--- Quote ---Earlier this week I was at garage A when I got a call from the porter manager over the 2 garages I work at letting me know that he wanted me to complete a project at garage B. So I stopped what I was doing, & I went to complete the project.

--- End quote ---

Here's where you needed to speak up. Instead of just automatically stopping what you were doing and moving on to the requested task, you let the manager know what you are doing.

Manager, I'm currently at garage A doing my scheduled clean up and it would talke another 30 minutes (or whatever) for me to complete that job. Do you want me to complete it first or go directly to garage B right away? Also at x:00 I'll need to do the scheduled space count so I will probably have to do that in the middle of doing the garage A task.

I work in an office where, although I report to one person, I do projects for the whole group of ~30 people in addition to doing occasional ad hoc projects for people outside my group. Occasionally, two or more people need me to work on a project for them immediately. I just let them know what I'm working on and to please discuss it with the other person and let me know which one gets priority.

Most of the time the second person will say, Oh, you're working on that for Bob? My request can wait till you're done. Sometimes they will go over and chat with Bob both of them will agree that Susan's project takes priority. But in either case, they are the ones guiding me instead of me just blindly doing what I'm told at any given moment.

It's all about communication.

SlitherHiss:

--- Quote from: lowspark on October 17, 2013, 09:21:48 AM ---I think that you need to start communicating better with your managers.

--- Quote ---Earlier this week I was at garage A when I got a call from the porter manager over the 2 garages I work at letting me know that he wanted me to complete a project at garage B. So I stopped what I was doing, & I went to complete the project.

--- End quote ---

Here's where you needed to speak up. Instead of just automatically stopping what you were doing and moving on to the requested task, you let the manager know what you are doing.

Manager, I'm currently at garage A doing my scheduled clean up and it would talke another 30 minutes (or whatever) for me to complete that job. Do you want me to complete it first or go directly to garage B right away? Also at x:00 I'll need to do the scheduled space count so I will probably have to do that in the middle of doing the garage A task.

I work in an office where, although I report to one person, I do projects for the whole group of ~30 people in addition to doing occasional ad hoc projects for people outside my group. Occasionally, two or more people need me to work on a project for them immediately. I just let them know what I'm working on and to please discuss it with the other person and let me know which one gets priority.

Most of the time the second person will say, Oh, you're working on that for Bob? My request can wait till you're done. Sometimes they will go over and chat with Bob both of them will agree that Susan's project takes priority. But in either case, they are the ones guiding me instead of me just blindly doing what I'm told at any given moment.

It's all about communication.

--- End quote ---

This. If you don't speak up, they don't know you're in the middle of another responsibility. They are not psychic.

snugglegirl05:
Update:

I have spoken to the manager over the parking garage, who also works for my employer, and he let me know how he would like me to do things. He told me that anything that the porter manager asks me to do comes after what he wants me to do on a daily basis.

There is one problem concerning the porter manager:

One of my job duties is emptying the trashcan that is outside the building where the parking lot is. I was told by the porter who trained me *he was recently promoted to porter manager; that way there are 2 porter managers working during the first shift*that the porter manager who I report to has to come and pick up the trash that I empty. I usually do this one a week. I have let that porter manager know twice that there is trash for him to pick up, but he has not done this. The second time I let him know that there was trash for him to pick up at my location, the other porter manager *the one who trained me*was present. He still did not pick up the trash. The other porter manager found out that he did not pick the trash up when he had to come over to one of the locations I work at and get something from the storage closet at that location. I keep the bags of trash in that storage closet. He let me know that I need to tell that porter manager again that he needs to do this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version