Author Topic: Thanks for the "bonus," but no thanks  (Read 4151 times)

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
Thanks for the "bonus," but no thanks
« on: October 16, 2013, 04:39:17 PM »
I just worked a killer schedule in the middle of an unholy mess. And pulled the rabbit out of the hat.

The bosses here want to make sure I know they appreciate me, so they gave me a gift card.
For $100. Which seems generous.

Until you realize it's to Bergdorf Goofman.

I went online and realized, there are about 25 things in the entire store (if you count the multiple colors of T-shirts as single items) that I could buy without having to add (quite a bit of) my own money.

I can just imagine me walking through the store, asking salespeople, "What do you have that's about $100?" That's completely not going to deliver the "My bosses are indulging me!" mood they wanted.

I can't really ask to swap it, can I?

I'm thinking I might sell it--$75 in cash might be a lot more useful than anything I could get at that store. And it would also get me more quickly to the "here's the cool thing I bought w/ my bonus from my nice bosses!"

Then what do I say if they ever ask about it? Which they probably won't. I guess, "Oh, I got a nice black shirt from some cheaper store with the money I got from selling the gift card."

LazyDaisy

Re: Thanks for the "bonus," but no thanks
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 04:56:57 PM »
No, you really can't ask to swap it. Is there anything you can splurge on that you wouldn't normally spend that much on? Even a nice bra or a few pairs of socks? They have a "gifts under $100" on their website, anything on there that you could buy for a christmas/birthday/housewarming present that you would normally spend other money on?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 05:01:02 PM »
I understand the frustration--getting a GC to a place where everything is way more expensive than the GC is definitely annoying, especially if it's a store you wouldn't ordinarily go to. I got a $25 GC once to a swimsuit shop where the suits are about $150...naah, not likely to happen.

But no, you can't ask to swap it.

esposita

• If you have the power to make someone happy, do it
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 05:01:13 PM »
I think there are websites where you can resell for the whole cost. Its not like its going to depreciate, lol. I'd just bean-dip if they asked about it.

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:09:42 PM »
You can't ask your bosses to swap it, but there are sites online that will exchange it for an equivalent voucher in another store. I only know the UK ones, but there should be similar in the US.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
I went to those websites--none of them have BG on their list.

It's sort of funny--I was crabby (like, really really furious and betrayed) over the whole mess in the first place. Then I sort of moved on, and then they gave me the gift card, and that was nice. And now I'm really, really angry all over again. I feel totally invisible. And I feel like they have simply proven that they cannot think things through, that they cannot think about what the people who are "not them" need from them in order to do their jobs. Like, this gift is exactly the same sort of tunnel vision that got me into their mess in the first place.

Their gift has completely backfired. Instead of me feeling appreciated and sort of grateful, I'm really pissed off.

It just doesn't feel the tiniest bit indulgent to go to a store and say, "OK, I can ONLY spend $100, I have to reject almost all of the stuff I'm looking at."

W/ the "gifts under $100"--those aren't the sorts of gifts I ever buy anyway.

I keep thinking maybe I'll just throw it out. That's how pissed off I am.

Or put it on the giveaway shelf here. I suppose I could ask around to see if there's anybody in the company who normally shops there, and then ask them to swap it for cash.

Come to think of it, I wonder if NYState law requires them to redeem the gift card for cash if requested. NYState has some pretty heavy-duty consumer-protection laws...

And there's eBay, I suppose.

bonyk

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 05:13:21 PM »
What about the makeup counter?

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 05:14:16 PM »
http://www.cardsnagger.com/bergdorf-goodman/ - pays 60% of the face value

https://www.raise.com/sell-bergdorf-goodman-gift-cards - can set your own rate, but they suggest 2-20% off face value.  Looks like you'd get $67 if you sell it at 80% face value.

Yvaine

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 05:16:17 PM »
I don't think it would be a good idea to try to sell it to anyone at work.

TootsNYC

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 05:19:38 PM »
What about the makeup counter?

I don't wear makeup.

doodlemor

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 05:20:28 PM »
Macy's usually has displays of Godiva chocolate at Christmas.  Maybe if you wait until the holiday is closer you will find something.

SlitherHiss

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2013, 05:22:34 PM »
If you do plan to sell it, definitely don't try to pawn it off on anyone at the office. Word could get back and make you seem ungrateful. Maybe one of the sites Slartibartfast mentioned, or Craigslist?

It's too bad that none of the over 450 items available in their "gifts under $100" section appealed to you. It looks like they have a pretty wide range of items, and I'm confident that your bosses thought they were giving you a wide range of luxury items to choose from.

(Personally, I would have gone with a pair of these, but I love stuff like that!)

gollymolly2

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2013, 05:31:15 PM »
I was on the giving end of a bonus like this once, although I wasn't the one who made the decision of how the money should be spent. I get where you're coming from, I had the same thoughts in my situation ("how is she going to be able to use this?")

Buuuut it was a nice gesture. It wasn't something they had to do. It's not like they normally give you a $100 cash bonus and decided to screw with you this time. They tried to do something nice. And I think you would feel less "pissed off" if you took it the way it was intended.

I suspect that it's not actually impossible for you to find something you like, but that you're so mad about it that you won't shop rationally. So I would just sell the card on a card exchange, buy something i like, be grateful, and move on.

Kaypeep

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2013, 05:35:39 PM »
I feel your pain Toots.  Is there an HR department you can go to?  Maybe talk to them and say "I really can't use this card, is there something I could echange it for?"  My company has movie passes they sell at a discount.  Perhaps you could trade it for another incentive item?  I would honestly have no qualms about trying to return the gift card, as long as it's done politely.  I'm not a slave to fashion or label conscious, so luxury store gift cards don't really do it for me either.  If I'm stuck with it though, I'd use it to buy xmas gifts for my mom or something.  I do believe Bergdorfs would be a good place to get something like quality umbrellas or gloves, and I know my mom or aunt would appreciate them.  Then I'd keep the money I would have used to buy their gifts and use it to treat myself.

ETA the only reason I'd try to return it or speak up is because I wouldn't want management to do something like this again and make it a tradition.  Especially when at my place of work, we are taxed on gifts like this, as if they are income.  (another reason to check with HR.)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:37:56 PM by Kaypeep »

MorgnsGrl

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »
I agree with the PP who suggested that you use it to buy a really nice holiday gift for someone, then use whatever $ you usually would have spent on that person to buy yourself something you'd appreciate.