General Etiquette > All In A Day's Work

Special Snowflakes at work

<< < (2/4) > >>

hjaye:

--- Quote from: weschicky on October 17, 2013, 12:26:11 PM ---......... In our industry, there are times when project deadlines approach like a freight train at top speed ...........
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I don't have anything to add in regards to your question, mainly because I think people like NM like being difficult and don't work well with others.

In regards to the quote above, it reminded me of a sign I saw in an office:

"I love deadlines! I especially love the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."

Hmmmmm:
1. Boss, assignment A will be a day late because I needed X from NM by noon on Tue and NM was unable to provide it.

2. Let the phone ring after the receptionist leaves. You are busy working on your assignment that is already late because NM didn't get your info to you.

3. Plan the party without a input from NM. NM probably won't attend any way.

4. Send an email to the entire office saying "Boss, I want to make sure you are aware Suze, Bill, and Joe all helped complete X assignment by the deadline. Without our full team's engagement, we would not have had a sucessful proposal. I really enjoy working with a staff you is so supportive of each other."

VorFemme:

--- Quote from: hjaye on October 17, 2013, 05:35:40 PM ---
--- Quote from: weschicky on October 17, 2013, 12:26:11 PM ---......... In our industry, there are times when project deadlines approach like a freight train at top speed ...........
--- End quote ---

Sorry, I don't have anything to add in regards to your question, mainly because I think people like NM like being difficult and don't work well with others.

In regards to the quote above, it reminded me of a sign I saw in an office:

"I love deadlines! I especially love the whooshing sound they make as they go flying by."

--- End quote ---

I had a boss in the Air Force who would let the people in the repair shops slide on turning in various awards submissions (I was the admin officer - I could polish a draft, I couldn't write one from scratch if I had no idea what Airman Whosit did that was so special to get them nominated for base, regional, or even national awards programs.

One time he granted them so much extra time that when they handed it to me, I tossed it in the trash (after they left but while the boss was still in the conference room) and told HIM that the base commander's deadline had been yesterday and that the general (0-7) did not take late submissions, period.  I had been letting people know that I had to have it no later than three days earlier (to give me time to polish it & get it read to make sure that my changes didn't ruin the meaning of what Airman Whosit did) - I didn't know all the jargon for the six different departments in our unit - I did know how to spell, write a complete sentence, and good grammar.

Apparently the boss (O-5) was in their building and was asked when the REAL deadline was and he decided, without asking the admin staff or remembering anything he'd been given in the way of information for the last few weeks (or checking the timeline on the big calendar in my office) to grant them the three days that they "needed" due to the push to fix extra whatchamaycallits due to the whatchamaycallits being in emergency status due to so many being out of service.

This was the early 1980s - no cell phones, no texting, and no email.  He "didn't have time" to read notes or memos for record - he wanted it verbally and FAST - but apparently that verbal "bullet" briefing hadn't hit his memory.

As long as that general was still the base commander and that lt col was still the unit commander - the deadlines were to be marked on the page as "date to the general's office" as well as "date to the admin officer for rewriting & typing in correct format". 

PastryGoddess:
I agree with others.  Every time she is late in getting you something you need for a project send NM an email to both NM and the boss asking for input on the new deadline.

For example if you need X today in order to get the TPS reports done by Today+3 days.  You can say something like

"It is my understanding that the TPS report deadline has been moved back so that NM can focus on (WrongProject).  Can you let me know what the new deadline is, so I can update the project calendar.  Since that report has been pushed back, I will be working on DEF report and will have that completed by (deadline)"

If every person does this every time they are held up by NM, I think the behavior should stop pretty quickly

blarg314:

--- Quote from: PastryGoddess on October 17, 2013, 08:15:49 PM ---I agree with others.  Every time she is late in getting you something you need for a project send NM an email to both NM and the boss asking for input on the new deadline.

For example if you need X today in order to get the TPS reports done by Today+3 days.  You can say something like

"It is my understanding that the TPS report deadline has been moved back so that NM can focus on (WrongProject).  Can you let me know what the new deadline is, so I can update the project calendar.  Since that report has been pushed back, I will be working on DEF report and will have that completed by (deadline)"

If every person does this every time they are held up by NM, I think the behavior should stop pretty quickly

--- End quote ---

Yes.

The boss can do what they're doing because NM's actions don't affect the bottom line - the rest of you are picking up the slack.

You might have to be careful about how you phrase it - something like "I won't be able to complete both X and Y by the deadline, as I don't have the materials yet. Which should I prioritize?" or "We have two versions of Document A - the original one, and the one rewritten by NM. We can use either, but using the rewritten document will add two days to the completion time - which would you like us to do?"

In other words - it's now boss's problem, but in a tactful way.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version